C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Another interesting sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
Another interesting sound

So when it rains it pours I guess. I get my car back from the shop with a new alternator, and when I start it up the next day I get a clicking sound from the belt area. I drive the car for about an hour and that disappears, maybe the pulley on the alternator needed a bit of run-in? Who knows.

Then I'm driving this morning and the check coolant level comes on. I check the level, it definitely could do with a topping up, so I'm going to pick up some coolant tomorrow morning at the dealership. I'm guessing, and hopefully someone can clue me in here, that during the course of replacing the alternator they were disconnecting things in the engine to get to it and some coolant leaked out. Again just a guess, but I'm thinking the most plausible solution.

Finally, and really the point of this thread, for the past few days I've noticed a strange noise coming from the back of the car. The best I can describe it is that it sounds like something is rolling around in the trunk. I will, often but not consistently (i.e. not every time a hit a bump, or every time I brake/accellerate) hear a hollow thump coming from the trunk area, like something is rolling and then hitting something. I do have a few things in the trunk but nothing that appears to be shifting or could be responsible for the noise. Now I'm worried something is loose in the suspension or something, although like I said going over a bump doesn't consistently trigger the sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
They probably did disconnect a coolant line and didn't rebleed the system. The heater or intercooler lines take some time to bleed fully.
Just top it up, should be fine. If the noise hasn't returned since the first 1/2hr then I wouldn't worry about it. If it does return then take it back to the dealer
Old 01-07-2009, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
Anyone have any idea what the thumping could be? I'm worried that something is shot in the rear suspension. It sounds like it is coming from the rear right tire well/bumper area.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32
there was a tsb on some 203's for the rear lower shock mounting bolt comming loose. it will barely be loose but mb recommends replacing both lower bolt. i would start there and see what you find. and theres nothing in your trunk that could be moving around?