C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Fun at Streets of Willow race track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fun at Streets of Willow race track

First track expericence with my 06 c55 that I bought 20 months ago. The car is bone stock. Even with a mixed set of tires, the C55 performed above my expectation with no problems what so ever. The engine torq. and power really helped me keep up with the other cars. The brake with stock pads had no problem with the 1.8 mile course with many tight turns.
I really had a good time running with the Porsche Owners Club (POC). My car stood out liked a sore thumb being the only MBZ and a sedan. POC is a great club in So. Calif. with many "mature" drivers and good instructors. I learned alot from the instructor about the proper race line.
In the student running group that I was in, I did AMG proud and passed most of the cars. Just check out the photos.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
track day x.pdf (406.5 KB, 189 views)
Old 01-27-2009, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by jchang58
First track expericence with my 06 c55 that I bought 20 months ago. The car is bone stock. Even with a mixed set of tires, the C55 performed above my expectation with no problems what so ever. The engine torq. and power really helped me keep up with the other cars. The brake with stock pads had no problem with the 1.8 mile course with many tight turns.
I really had a good time running with the Porsche Owners Club (POC). My car stood out liked a sore thumb being the only MBZ and a sedan. POC is a great club in So. Calif. with many "mature" drivers and good instructors. I learned alot from the instructor about the proper race line.
In the student running group that I was in, I did AMG proud and passed most of the cars. Just check out the photos.
Cool! - looks like you had a great learning experience!

What tires are you running in the rear - 245 or 255/265?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
nice! i want to go one of these days. just too lazy to drive all the way out there.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
255 back and 225 frt
Old 01-27-2009, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Good job. I guarantee you will be faster the next time you go out....it's amazing how much you can improve if you practice.

It's good to see another C55 owner enjoying the capabilities of their car on a twisty track. I agree that a Benz usually stands out on a typical lapping or driver education day, as most Benz owners don't track their cars. Usually, other people end up saying "boy, I didn't think that Merc can go so fast around the corners", etc, etc. I've had some people deliberately look at my tires/suspension after a track session to see if I had some major mods......they are usually surprised when I tell them the suspension is stock.

The data clearly shows a stock C55 is very close to a stock E46 M3 when it comes to cornering grip. With the low end torque and power, it is easy to power out of corners to make up for a slightly lower entry corner speed. If you follow a good racing line, I think the C55 is quite easy to drive fast compared to many other cars you see on lapping days. One other advantage you have is you don't have to worry about shifting gears and you can simply concentrate on the racing line, steering, and braking zones.

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 01-27-2009 at 04:14 PM.