Supercharger Pulley Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Supercharger Pulley Problem

I finally managed to remove the supercharger pulley and as I began to press out the bearing, the pos 6 ton press snapped one of the bolts that supported the bench that the pulley was on. Well the pulley fell from the press and now it seems that the pulley is damaged. The back portion on which the belt rests is bent.

How would I know if I could still use the pulley? Was the 6 ton press too weak to take out the bearing, or did I just purchase a bad press?

I'll post pics soon.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Does any one know how much a stock pulley costs and does any one have one for sale? Would it be cheaper to purchase an aftermarket pulley?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Originally Posted by loudandheard
Does any one know how much a stock pulley costs and does any one have one for sale? Would it be cheaper to purchase an aftermarket pulley?
Not sure how much an OEM costs, but I have a 7 month old Code3 pulley in great shape for $450 shipped. At least you can replace it and get some extra fun too.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
Not sure how much an OEM costs, but I have a 7 month old Code3 pulley in great shape for $450 shipped. At least you can replace it and get some extra fun too.
IIRC, you can't source *just* the OEM S/C pulley from MB - it's unfortunately sold as the entire S/C assembly AFAIK. If your stock one is beyond repair, as Gramma mentions you might as well upgrade to the C3P one... you'd be lucky to find a stock S/C pulley for sale - most seem to hang on to them, in case they want to return the car to stock (although, I do remember recently, someone threw their entire S/C pulley away because the bearing was noisy... lol).
Old 02-03-2009, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
I might take you up on that offer. I was in the market to buy a new tv and wanted to use some of that money on the tv instead.

Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
IIRC, you can't source *just* the OEM S/C pulley from MB - it's unfortunately sold as the entire S/C assembly AFAIK. If your stock one is beyond repair, as Gramma mentions you might as well upgrade to the C3P one... you'd be lucky to find a stock S/C pulley for sale - most seem to hang on to them, in case they want to return the car to stock (although, I do remember recently, someone threw their entire S/C pulley away because the bearing was noisy... lol).
Well, I'm not sure if my pulley is damaged, but the back portion of the pulley is bent. The portion right behind where the belt sits on the pulley is bent and touches the back portion that it rests on. The lighter metal portion that sits on the rust colored portion is bent. Would that make the pulley inoperable ?

Last edited by loudandheard; 02-03-2009 at 11:26 PM.