C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Car shake solved

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
I had my rims fixed, new tires put on with the Hunter road force, Radius arm bushings replaced and car kept shaking when stepping on the gas. It turned out to be the fluid in the trans was contaminated and the torque converter wasn't properly engaging. I think the radiator was bad as the trans cooler is on it. Anyhow, that was replaced, all fluids flushed and it rides great. The noise from the torque converter is gone and no more shaking.
I thought only the 2002 C32's with Valeo radiator had this problem?
Old 03-25-2010, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
Yep I have this problem now and I was told my engine mounts were bad, a little expensive though so I put it off also my siren just went out so I have to get that done too. The car just start chirping loud at random while driving.
I don't believe that my engine/transmission mounts are bad because the shaking is more evident when braking and when the car has to downshift itself to come to a stop. When I take off from a stop, the car accelerates fine, but when I drive at constant speeds and I give it a little bit of gas, the car will jerk, leap forward, and then I would hear a drone(like the torque converter clutch failed to engage). Otherwise, when I put the car on cruise control, it drives perfectly. It's a 18k miles old transmission, so I assume the MB dealer put new transmission mounts, or made sure the old ones were fine. The only thing that I am left with is to take it to the dealer so they can do the transmission/torque converter adaptations for $130 per hour. I hate how they made this car's transmission so complicated where it has to be adjusted by a computer. My 01 C320 drives way smoother with 90k miles and a original transmission vs. my 02 C32 with a new transmission and 71k.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Sorry my reply was in regards to ruben65's complaint. C32s all have the same tranny issues glycol contamination and bad TCU's/Radiators I am sure it's one of those.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C32, 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2007 Harley NightRod, 2013 Harley Road Glide Custom
Radiator replacement with trans cooler, flush and new fluids solved my problem and sounds much like what you have run into. I think out the door costs something like $1300 and I paid $100 since my warrenty covered it.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by turbo16lbs
Its an 02' with 62k miles. Most of the cost comes from my intercooler cracking and letting coolant flow into the supercharger then the cylinders. I have a very good relationship with the shop where I take my car. Upon changing the intercooler they recommended to change the supercharger, change the oil and the oil pump. All that and labor amounts to about 6-8k.
WOW. is this common on C32s or did something happen to your IC to make it leak?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
N/A
JonMBZ

On my issue it's definitatly not the engine or tranny mounts, I had them checked and the flex discs as well when I brought it to the dealership a few weeks ago and everything is fine, they even checked the transmission fluid level and that was ok also.

Seems to happen only when the tempurature is cold, since it's got warmer outside I haven't noticed it happening.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
When I first got my S Class it would have a vibration, sort of through the
seat, it almost went when it got warm, however it got worse but even my local MB dealer didn't know what it was. I tried a local tuning company and they said it was coming from the gearbox. The dealer had it back and found
contaminated oil in the gearbox. Needed a new gearbox, torque converter
and stress plate. MB paid half, but you would never thought it was gearbox.
Apparently the gearbox oil and filter were not changed at 40k because the previous owner was to tight and took it to a backstreet garage.
Drives as smooth as silk now.