C32 vs c55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
If you're talking about the transmission, the C55 has a third mode called "M", in addition to the "S", and "C" (or "W) modes. In this M mode, the car will not upshift at redline (will bounce off rev limiter if you want), and it will won't downshift unless you are about to stall the car. This is the same on all the newer AMG models now too with the 7G-tronic.
Tap the shifter to the left and presto, "M" mode. It allows you to manually shift up and down any gear holding the r's through redline. It just doesn't have a "title" or button that needs pressed. Granted, you can't bounce the tach at redline, but I didn't think the 55 would either.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:37 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
Tap the shifter to the left and presto, "M" mode. It allows you to manually shift up and down any gear holding the r's through redline. It just doesn't have a "title" or button that needs pressed. Granted, you can't bounce the tach at redline, but I didn't think the 55 would either.
the 55 would, but using the steering wheel button is not any faster/quicker than letting the tranny shift by itself in the S mode. I tried it in my friend's C55 before and the reaction time was much slower than I thought it would be. You need to click the button at least 300rpm before you want to make the shift.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:39 PM

a Black
Here is a post from me 2+ yrs ago. Having now spent 2 yrs in a 32 and 2 yrs in a 55...(and having both at the same time for 2 weeks) I still agree. My favorite difference is the smooth power band. Others may really like the supercharger thrust....I did, just not as much as smooooooth power once I got it in the 55.

"so I've changed my mind....kind of

I posted a few weeks ago, "don't get the C55 over the C32". Well, to my surprise my wife bought me a 05 C55 with 10k miles. The $ did not impact my decision it was a gift; and I had no idea she would do it. Thus, I had both a 02 C32 OEM and an 05 C55 OEM at my disposal.

C55 is better: lineal acceleration, handling, fit and finish, front end looks, sound, ride quality, options, interior, and top end acceleration.

C32 is better: sleeper and supercharger grunt....mod'able???

I really have to tell you, I love the C55. It just feels tighter, stronger, faster, smoother, quieter and everything else-er. In fact, I was surprised how much I enjoy driving it more then my C32 (which was a great car!). Now the C55 was/is 3 years newer, so some things just come with a newer car (fit and finish, options, interior).

The real question, do I think the C55 is worth $15k+ more? It depends on your money...if $15k is an issue or causes payments...no; the C32 is great. But, if you can do it cash with no worries...the C55 is, in all aspects a better car. IMO "
Old 04-13-2009, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, CLK550
All I can add is I love my 55.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
If you're talking about the transmission, the C55 has a third mode called "M", in addition to the "S", and "C" (or "W) modes. In this M mode, the car will not upshift at redline (will bounce off rev limiter if you want), and it will won't downshift unless you are about to stall the car. This is the same on all the newer AMG models now too with the 7G-tronic.

In the "S" and "C" modes, the car will automatically upshift at redline, even when you've engaged the touchshift feature manually (at least with the newer C32's.......I have read about some early 2002 C32 models that don't upshift at redline, but I'm not sure about that).
I see how it can help on the track, won't this make your quarter mile times slower though ? In manual mode it shifts perfectly at redline and lands exactly at 4k. i guess you can call it a improvement...
Old 04-13-2009, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
I see how it can help on the track, won't this make your quarter mile times slower though ? In manual mode it shifts perfectly at redline and lands exactly at 4k. i guess you can call it a improvement...
Yes, this "M" transmission mode is mostly useful at the track when you don't want any unwanted shifts in the middle of a corner to upset the car's balance when you accelerate out of a corner.

For maximum acceleration, it is best to keep it in automatic "S" mode and let the transmission shift itself. The actual transmission doesn't shift any faster in the C55 compared to the C32. The improvement is the option of having a true "M"anual mode if you want.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
Yes, this "M" transmission mode is mostly useful at the track when you don't want any unwanted shifts in the middle of a corner to upset the car's balance when you accelerate out of a corner.

For maximum acceleration, it is best to keep it in automatic "S" mode and let the transmission shift itself. The actual transmission doesn't shift any faster in the C55 compared to the C32. The improvement is the option of having a true "M"anual mode if you want.
i just meant i like the way it shifts at redline because in manual mode it goes through every gear and shifts perfectly in redline, more accurately then if you did it manually, so it help if your doing quarter mile times.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SLK55 AMG, E320 BlueTec, ML350, (formerly) C32 AMG, MR2 Turbo, HD-FLH-FSE, BMW R100RS, Ducati M900
I use to have a pre-facelift C240, and I believe the C32 has the same steering rack. I noticed a HUGE difference when I got the C55. The more direct steering ratio was the biggest difference. The C240 felt super stable on the highway, mainly because the slow steering ratio meant tiny steering wheel movements made little impact on the path of the car. With the C55, I distinctly remember thinking....this car feels less "stable" because the car turns with the slightest of steering wheel movements, which is accentuated at highway speeds. On the track, the C55's turn-in response and feedback felt much better thant he C240 too.....(yes, I did track the C240 once.....) It's not just the C55, all the facelifted W203 C-class cars came with the improved steering rack.
So which tires did your C240 have? Which did the C55 have. There is a big difference in the feel. Have you ever actually driven a C32? The other poster who owned both is perhaps better qualified to judge. My C32 handled horrible until I swapped the Pirellis for Bridgestones. Totally different feel. Stock for stock the C55 is better. But, who has a stock C32?