Wheel finish advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Wheel finish advice

Hey guys,

I just picked my summer rims up from their storage to find the lip on all rims as well as some of the spokes extremely corroded. Since the original finish apparently cannot be redone, I need to have the wheels sandblasted and either painted or powdercoated. I will probably opt for the powdercoating because of the added durability and lower price. I'm still open for painting them if I find a color that I like very much. I haven't had a chance to visit the powdercoating shop yet to look at their colors but I'll probably swing by tomorrow.

Since I have absolutely no experience with this, I would really appreciate opinions from members that have refurbished their wheels. So, my question to you guys is, what do you think? Open to all suggestions.

Here's a picture of my wheels on my car:

Best regards,
Hjartarson
Old 05-14-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
I've heard and read that if done improperly (which is commen I guess)-that sandblasting and PCing rims can actually degrade the metal considerably-so I would (1) see if hand cleaning/sanding is an option, and paint-or do the homework on a sandblaster and PC'er that has worked with higher end wheels in the past-but you know what they say about reading things on the internet-
good looking wheels-what are they?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:34 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by rockjock
I've heard and read that if done improperly (which is commen I guess)-that sandblasting and PCing rims can actually degrade the metal considerably-so I would (1) see if hand cleaning/sanding is an option, and paint-or do the homework on a sandblaster and PC'er that has worked with higher end wheels in the past-but you know what they say about reading things on the internet-
good looking wheels-what are they?
Hey,

Thanks for your input.

I consulted a professional wheel repairer today that has worked his magic on friends' rims before. He pointed me towards a very reputable powder coater. His sandblasting is very delicate and his work admirable. I had already heard some horror stories about rough sandblasting and it's effect on wheels so I definitely wanted to stay clear of that.

My wheels are 18" Carlsson 1/16 BE's. AFAIK they are originals, they have Carlsson stamps etc but I'm pretty surprised that the coating on such high priced wheels goes bad in only about 6 years.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I DON'T COME HERE ANYMORE
Yeah-If IL is anything like MN (here in the US)-the roads in the winter are junk on tires (early spring too-if all the debris isnt off them)-gl on the search-it takes time-but a couple others will post up here too-
Old 05-16-2009, 07:48 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by rockjock
Yeah-If IL is anything like MN (here in the US)-the roads in the winter are junk on tires (early spring too-if all the debris isnt off them)-gl on the search-it takes time-but a couple others will post up here too-
Yeah, the streets here are salted, my stone chippings have actually started to rust. Sucks.