Volume goes up....bass goes down....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Volume goes up....bass goes down....

So even though the C55 has the "wonderful" Harmon Kardon 12 speaker sound system, it follows what many other premium manufacturers do - decrease bass response when the volume goes up. The amplifiers have specific curves for all the speakers that guarantee they won't sound like garbage at certain volumes. Also helps save the amplifier from overheating.

Being that the stock system uses fiber optics to connect to the amplifier, it doesn't make it easy to add a small amp and sub. Adding an amplifier after the stock amp is also pointless unless you use a JL cleansweep, or do some major surgery. Something I don't want to do.

* Does anyone know if the stock amp also does 180 deg. noise cancelling? (which would hurt you when adding anything that the amp isn't already doing).

So my question is - the stock system is just barely loud enough for me at full volume. Enough where I'll suck it up and decide to keep it (and my hearing) as is. Yet the lack of bass response due to the amp curves really kills the music - even though with certain songs at a "normal" volume, the stock sub seems to provide just enough oomph. I run bass at +9 and treble +9 with standard sound and fader rear 2.

Has anyone successfully added a low power aftermarket sub + amp combo to the stock system, while pretty much leaving everything else the same? I just need to add a little more bass at the higher volumes.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
42 views and no one has an answer, or even an opinion?