Confused..need help decide

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Question Confused..need help decide

Ok guys/gals I have an issue but based on reading thru the archive I feel undecided to what to do...I have possibly an alternator or regulator problem...situation first started Friday night when I recieved the warning lights

1. battery/alternator work shop
2. undervoltage consumer defective

Basically thru reading thru archive the valeo regulator is not replaceable but I've been told by MB tech yes and there are part numbers for it. I decided try the Advance auto refman alternator but had two issues

1. the socket to connect it to battery is a couple of mm to short so won't lock into place
2. we found out after trying to install it that the pulley up front of alternator didn't move at all(so returned and waiting on a replacement due tomorrow)

Funny cause even though my original alternator pulley turned freely we checked again like an hour later and it wouldn't turn either...hummm

Anyways what are the common symptoms that show its the alternator is bad or the regulator is bad?

please help.

Incase it help I will add this

next day I took car out to buy breakfast and after about a half hour things like the radio and other car devices stop turning on..as I waited with no load on car and eating my breakfast in a nearby parkinglot the car on it was low idleing after a while then I decided to try to drive her home but the trans wouldn't come out of park so I turned it off only to find out car won't start..I got a jump drove it to a shop and they charged my battery for an hour and I drove it home and its in my garage.

Last edited by c32used; 07-14-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
you should be able to take the alternator to autozone /advance oreilly's whatever you have in your area and have it load tested to see if it passes or fails
check you battery at the same time
Old 07-14-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Vic
had the same problem b4.
I took alt out drove to chicago place called Derpol- bougth reman from them and had no problems whatsoever for past 8 months. You wil get 1 year warranty and the price is to die for $165 for bosch alternator.
If you need more info PM me or call me 847 275 8992
Jack
Old 07-15-2009, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
i believe the mb tech thinks the regulator can be replaced because the c55 and all the 05+ class mercedes used a different alternator in which the voltage regular can be replaced.

I know the c55 and 05+ have been confirmed to have a replacable voltage regulator. Scottw911 stated that the c32 wasn't replaceable. Since he seemed like a knowledgeable person, i took his word for it since i couldnt afford the down time.

There was no warning sign. When my alternator went, it went. I think it was the chip like others have said since the pulley would still spin. The stock battery can give you about 45min of power without the alternator. I suggest replacing the alternator asap.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
i believe the mb tech thinks the regulator can be replaced because the c55 and all the 05+ class mercedes used a different alternator in which the voltage regular can be replaced.

I know the c55 and 05+ have been confirmed to have a replacable voltage regulator. Scottw911 stated that the c32 wasn't replaceable. Since he seemed like a knowledgeable person, i took his word for it since i couldnt afford the down time.

There was no warning sign. When my alternator went, it went. I think it was the chip like others have said since the pulley would still spin. The stock battery can give you about 45min of power without the alternator. I suggest replacing the alternator asap.
Well gonna try Jaceks route by giving up my Valeo in Exchange for a Bosch since

1. Place has it in stock and 2. Jacek installed it running fine already 8 months.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
well let us know how it goes. i'm not a fan of reman for major components like a alternator, so i just bought a new valeo for $300.