C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

A/C and windows down? Wacky A/C or smart?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
A/C and windows down? Wacky A/C or smart?

For the most part, my a/c works very well. Blows cold, and gets cold very fast after a hot parking lot day's startup here in the GA sun.

One weird issue I've noticed is when I have the sunroof or windows down. When I was in line at a drive thru one day and had the driver side window down for a while, the a/c turned off after a bit, and wouldn't come back on. Nothing was blowing out of the vents, even if you were at 6, with or without recirc, auto, and a/c.

The other morning it was a 65 degree morning and humid, and I had the sunroof full open on my way to work. After a while, the A/C started to blow max cold like if it was at position 4. Mind you had both knobs at 72, fan at 0.5, and auto was off. Turned auto on and it got worse. Only way to get it to stop completely was to turn it completely off to zero.

So do the windows or sunroof being full open modify the a/c and give it an auto mind of it's own? I always have auto off (it always overcools everything IMO), so why would it do it then?

Or is my a/c starting to go funky. Mind you, this has only happened two or three times, and it's specifically when I've had one of the glasses full open/down for an extended period of time.

Last edited by Viper98912; 08-06-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
78 views and nobody has a comment?

Last edited by Viper98912; 08-11-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
I have noticed a few weirdnesses with the AC, like when I first turn on the car and turn the AC up to 6 it won't start actually blowing at max power for a while, which I assume is some check to make sure you don't get blasted with hot air before it has a chance to cool.

I have to admit that I can run the AC with all the windows down and have it still attempting to put out cold air for an indefinite period of time. At no time has the AC totally shut down on me. Nor has it started pumping out full power without me telling it to. I have been using my AC every day for the last 2-3 months so if this was a feature I would almost certainly have come across it by now.

Is it possible your Auto switch is faulty?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
I have noticed a few weirdnesses with the AC, like when I first turn on the car and turn the AC up to 6 it won't start actually blowing at max power for a while, which I assume is some check to make sure you don't get blasted with hot air before it has a chance to cool.

I have to admit that I can run the AC with all the windows down and have it still attempting to put out cold air for an indefinite period of time. At no time has the AC totally shut down on me. Nor has it started pumping out full power without me telling it to. I have been using my AC every day for the last 2-3 months so if this was a feature I would almost certainly have come across it by now.

Is it possible your Auto switch is faulty?