C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

The pain of my B Service

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Not clear on what they actually did in addition to the regularly scheduled B service tasks besides a ATF renewal? $1250 is a quarter of at least one member’s mortgage payment. Hardly chump change.

Most dealerships’ SA/SMs will furnish a service worksheet upon arriving for an appointment. Its procedures are recommended on a mileage, time, or as-needed basis. That same sheet should be included (showing brake wear measurements and other pertinent information ascertained by the technician to whom your car was assigned) prior to settlement.

Ironic how MB did away with so many of the old school -and well founded IMHO- procedures during their “free maintenance” marketing campaign. Much of what had formerly been a 'replace' was subsequently changed to merely 'inspect.' If yours is leased or you intend to trade up every few years, deferred maintenance will not be a concern. It’s the 75,000 plus mile guys who’ll more easily justify preventative work.

Attachment, courtesy and copyright Mike Miller –Bimmer's technical editor– is roughly what mine receives.

Last edited by splinter; 10-06-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
02 C32 AMG, 05 SL55 AMG, 09 SL63 AMG, 14 E350, '18 G550, 92 300ZX & 15' GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by splinter
Not clear on what they actually did in addition to the regularly scheduled B service tasks besides a ATF renewal? $1250 is a quarter of at least one member’s mortgage payment. Hardly chump change.

Most dealerships’ SA/SMs will furnish a service worksheet upon arriving for an appointment. Its procedures are recommended on a mileage, time, or as-needed basis. That same sheet should be included (showing brake wear measurements and other pertinent information ascertained by the technician to whom your car was assigned) prior to settlement.

Ironic how MB did away with so many of the old school -and well founded IMHO- procedures during their “free maintenance” marketing campaign. Much of what had formerly been a 'replace' was subsequently changed to merely 'inspect.' If yours is leased or you intend to trade up every few years, deferred maintenance will not be a concern. It’s the 75,000 plus mile guys who’ll more easily justify preventative work.

Attachment, courtesy and copyright Mike Miller –Bimmer's technical editor– is roughly what mine receives.
do u have one for MB? this is nice...
wow..im a little afraid to get my Service B done..ill rather do it myself hahaha
Old 08-19-2009, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
02 C32 AMG, 05 SL55 AMG, 09 SL63 AMG, 14 E350, '18 G550, 92 300ZX & 15' GL63 AMG
Originally Posted by jturkel
i told my dealer what i wanted on my last service B. i think it cost me a grand total of 150 bucks lol
$150 that i dont mind for a Service B price! but i didnt know u can opp out stuff to get done to your service B? if i may ask what did u ask them to get done for the Service B?
Old 08-19-2009, 03:20 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by AMGC43C55
thay called him, and he sead to do the work but he did not ask for a price that is on him. lession learned i hope

yes i charge 8hr that is book time that is mercedes set time to do a rear main seal and yes it only takes me 4hr or less to do but how long did it take me to get that fast. if it takes me 10hr to do the rear main seal i will only get payed the 8hr. some people can take a day, for me i do the job fast and i do it right. i want the car out of my stall so i can get to the next car this is how i make a liveing. dont for get laber is not cheep we charge 165.00 hr.
yup, MB does have the book time to do most works. which is exactly why I avoid the dealership couple wks ago for my #4 cylinder repairs. would've cost me twice as much or more at the dealership for doing what I did at my local shop who worked for MB dealers for years before they opened their own. everything was picture documented on what was replaced and in process of the work.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by moosejaw
Obama needs to fix this industry too....

$165 an hour for labor is outrageous. Does your dealership service Veyrons too? Free car washes? Internet Service?

Probably that cost is justified bc of some ridiculous overhead such as multi-tiered managers making six figure salaries, the donuts with sprinkles or some outrageous lawsuit settlement they had to pay out.
Yeah but you get a free loaner!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
Originally Posted by splinter

You know what? That article really made me think twice about the maintenance.. Thanks for posting that up...
Old 08-19-2009, 09:35 AM

2006 C55
Wow, quite the reaction. Really didn't expect that, but thanks for sharing your thoughts/stories.

There are too many to answer, but just wanted to clarify a few that jumped out upon my reading:

1. I will post the list at some point tomorrow (if I remember)

2. Has nothing to do with money, I've owned 5 MB's and know what to expect; my point was when I spoke to the service advisor and he explained that it was "recommended" that I get these other things done while I had the car in there it sounded to be very MINOR things (change air filter, etc). The way it was positioned vs. the price just threw me is all.

3. I agree that it is robbery to a point. Understood about the whole get what you pay for, but like I said, I used to work in a dealership (not MB) while in college and saw how things operate on the back end. Hell, one of my good friends works for MB Corp. and ran 3 dealerships in the area (now he just bought the Porsche dealership on Rt. 3 in West Chester, Pa <---- For any of you local guys/gals). Regardless of dealership the practice is the same. If it pays 8 hours and only takes 3, you are getting charged 8 hours...........period. That is the part that isn't right in my book.

4. My other point, and this may be the larger one, is that it wasn't mentioned that "None of this work will be covered by Warranty".........you would think if someone was going to whack you with a $1,200.00 bill (especially since I've purchased 4 vehicles from that dealership and has a 5th MB serviced there.......not to mention my brother purchased 2 MB's at that location) would have at least mentioned the Warranty coverage part. If I were having the conversation it would have been brought up.

5. The part where I didn't ask is my bad (honestly, wouldn't have said no anyway as I'm all about maintenance). Just wasn't too keen on the "surprise" factor is all.

6. And my last point was more general in nature, the labor charges outweighed the actual parts/service by quite a bit (not sure the exact numbers until I look at the bill more closely, but do remember one of the labor charges being $353). That number stuck out b/c it is the exact amount that I saved that week by not sending my kids to Daycare b/c we were on vacation.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:46 AM

1998 C43
Dealerships are in it to make money. All business's are in it to make money. When you buy $100 sunglasses you are not *****ing that it only cost $10 to make them and they are stealing from you. Mb sets labor times and we as tech's have to follow them. We make money by gaining experience, becoming efficient and learning to do the jobs faster. We have an 80 hour pay period, work hours, we are expected to flag at least 100 hours, the only way you can do that is by being efficient. If MB says the job pays 8 hours, and I do it in 4, I am ok with that. I am not stealing from you, can you do it in 4? If so do it yourself, but majority of people cant do the jobs themselves. If you have a problem with what they charging you, ask them to break it down, parts costs, labor costs, etc. Ask to explain the labor charges to you, how much for the diagnosis, what steps were taken in diagnosis the problem, how much to actually replace the part, etc. Dont get mad at us for doing our jobs. Be informed as a customer and ask questions. Now you can get inexperienced techs working on your car whether you go to an independent or dealer. I can say that my shop is held to extremely high standards as far as quality of work, and everyone at my shop takes great pride in our work and we are extremely good at what we do. Do mistakes happen? Yes, they will happen no matter what, but we go the extra mile to try and make things right when things go wrong. You pay for what you get,our labor rate is $130. You can go to an independent and pay $90, some shops are good, but many are not. I have seen there quality of work, things they let go, etc.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:54 AM

99C43 05C55 06slk55
Originally Posted by blahuh
Dealerships are in it to make money. All business's are in it to make money. When you buy $100 sunglasses you are not *****ing that it only cost $10 to make them and they are stealing from you. Mb sets labor times and we as tech's have to follow them. We make money by gaining experience, becoming efficient and learning to do the jobs faster. We have an 80 hour pay period, work hours, we are expected to flag at least 100 hours, the only way you can do that is by being efficient. If MB says the job pays 8 hours, and I do it in 4, I am ok with that. I am not stealing from you, can you do it in 4? If so do it yourself, but majority of people cant do the jobs themselves. If you have a problem with what they charging you, ask them to break it down, parts costs, labor costs, etc. Ask to explain the labor charges to you, how much for the diagnosis, what steps were taken in diagnosis the problem, how much to actually replace the part, etc. Dont get mad at us for doing our jobs. Be informed as a customer and ask questions. Now you can get inexperienced techs working on your car whether you go to an independent or dealer. I can say that my shop is held to extremely high standards as far as quality of work, and everyone at my shop takes great pride in our work and we are extremely good at what we do. Do mistakes happen? Yes, they will happen no matter what, but we go the extra mile to try and make things right when things go wrong. You pay for what you get,our labor rate is $130. You can go to an independent and pay $90, some shops are good, but many are not. I have seen there quality of work, things they let go, etc.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Mistakes happen and thats why there is insurance to cover major losses
I dont feel sorry for you if you have eat two hours of labor if a job is hard to do or you can't complete it acc to the Gospel! How often do you make a mistake?

A Benz namely an AMG is just a car, you put oil in, gas in, maintain it and it runs. It is not a space shuttle or an oil rig. Im sure your a nice guy but your no different than the Jiffy Lube Tech with the exception that you make a lot more $$$.

The OP should have asked for a breakdown of costs, asked for itemised billing and negotiated a better deal. I would have taken 25% of the labor and if your SA accepted it. then the burden would be on the tech. and hey 75 cents of $1 is better than 100% of $0.00

Businesses routinely look at their way of running a business and adjust their costs each quarter to make more profit or to be more competitive.

It seems MB Dealers dont adopt this practice. Even Oil prices go down.

Last edited by moosejaw; 08-19-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
Old 08-19-2009, 12:41 PM

2006 C55
Look, all I know is that I would have allowed them to do the work anyway. I have nothing against the techs (they keep me on the road), but what I do have a problem with is the fact that the consumer isn't truly getting what is paid for. No matter how you look at it that is the case, it is an arbitrary number and to moosejaws point, that never seems to go down.

The sunglass analogy didn't do it for me as that is a retail mark up thing. If I were taking my $100 sunglasses in to have them replace a broken lens and they charged me $10 for the part and $70 to install it, then it'd be more accurate. Again, not blaming the tech as you aren't setting the PPH ($130 in your case), but I highly doubt there is anyone next to you saying "man, this customer's job only took me 3 hours and it pays 8 so I'm only going to put 3 hrs on my timecard".

I'm great at time management and can do my work quickly too, but if I start getting up at Noon every day and walking out of my office I'd expect that I'd only be paid for the time worked, not the full 40 hrs. At the dealership I worked at techs would brag they were getting paid for an 80 hour week when only putting in 40 hours worth of actual time.

Man, it would be nice though:
- Product Proposal = 1 hr to document
- Business Case to support new product = 2 hrs
- Executive Presentation to accompany new product = 2 hours
- Being able to call it a day at 2PM b/c it felt like I put in 8 hours worth of work at that point = Priceless
Old 08-19-2009, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by madC55
Man, it would be nice though:
- Product Proposal = 1 hr to document
- Business Case to support new product = 2 hrs
- Executive Presentation to accompany new product = 2 hours
- Being able to call it a day at 2PM b/c it felt like I put in 8 hours worth of work at that point = Priceless
Great Quote
This argument can go on and on but I guess ultimately its the consumer who needs to be educated, if he gets dicked over by the stealership. it is what it is.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:59 PM

2006 C55
Anyone else find it weird that we have MB Techs on the board that are answering questions on these threads during work hours; all the while some poor sap has their car up on the lift paying the value rate of $200 an hour for labor.

I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Originally Posted by madC55
Anyone else find it weird that we have MB Techs on the board that are answering questions on these threads during work hours; all the while some poor sap has their car up on the lift paying the value rate of $200 an hour for labor.

I'm just thinking out loud.
Not really. I am more amused by the mechanic aligning himself with doctors and lawyers.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
more amusing is the same tech has three AMGs.......
Old 08-20-2009, 02:58 AM

99C43 05C55 06slk55
more amusing is the same tech has three AMGs.......
yes i do have 3 AMG, the C43 i have had fot 6 years, the C55 for 3 years and the SLK55 for 1 year, my wife and i work hard for are toys. i have worked hard to get whare i am to day. i am the only tech at my dealer that can work on the SLR, SLS, SL BLACK. thay just don't let any tech from jiffy lube work on them. i know a lot of people in the fourm don't like dealer tech that is fine with me.

Last edited by AMGC43C55; 08-20-2009 at 03:13 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:53 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
this is my personal opinion...

IMO dealership is fine when it comes to warranty repairs. everything else I really do not care much to send my car to any dealership.

last year my car was at Rusnak and Penske for combined of at least 2 1/2 months to work on a simple TPS error code and valve cover leak that turned into replacing the throttle body, throttle body actuator, TCU, and some other stuff because of one simple mistake by one of the tech to somehow destroy the connector pins on the TCU. replacing the parts was easy. I had to drop by once a week to follow up and talk to the tech and giving them advise as well. the only good part that came out of it is this was done under the extended warranty and I got a 2008 C350 loaner so that I don't have to drive my own C350.

now...imagine the cost of repair if this was done without warranty. I'll get charged for everything. The TB and the TCU would be assly expensive and was it faulty...NO!

now that I found the indie shop that I trust and does good work providing pictures and notes on everything they took apart I'm gonna stick with it especially with them having previous experiences at dealership for many years.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:12 AM

1998 C43
So let me get this straight. If a job takes 8 hours for one person, and I can do it in 4 or 5 hours, I should only get paid 4 or 5 hours? Am I understanding the angry mob? We get paid on a commission basis to keep us moving and motivated. Also in case you guys didn't know we are paid a lower hourly rate because of the flat rate system. Its the nature of the beast. And btw, independents are flat rate as well. They might use different times, and their labor rate is cheaper, but still same basic system.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:06 AM

2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S
So let me get this straight. If a job takes 8 hours for one person, and I can do it in 4 or 5 hours, I should only get paid 4 or 5 hours? Am I understanding the angry mob? We get paid on a commission basis to keep us moving and motivated. Also in case you guys didn't know we are paid a lower hourly rate because of the flat rate system. Its the nature of the beast. And btw, independents are flat rate as well. They might use different times, and their labor rate is cheaper, but still same basic system.
If you read your statement from any other perspective other than your own, it sounds completely ridiculous. You are saying, and I am not paraphrasing that much: "If I only work for 4 hours, I should only get paid for 4 hours?"

The answer to that question, just to make myself clear, is a resounding yes. I'm a cop, and I can't submit an overtime sheet at the end of the day for an extra 5 hours because that's how much longer it would have taken some untrained guy off the street to do everything I did that day. Why should you get paid for hours that you didn't work, when no one else does?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Blahuh,
The problem is not how you do it, it's the lax standards MB sets aside to repair the problem. In any other industry that would not be tolerated. Its abuse. Im sure you and the other gentleman with the stable of AMGs work very hard and are very professional and dont see a problem with what your dealership charges.

In construction i cant allow a subcontractor to overbill for extra work. I know what it takes to do a job and pay for accordingly. If get a tab for extra hours I know arent truly representative of the work done, i reject and suspend their application for pay for the month. They then have to revise their pay apps, get me to agree with it and then they get paid. I also hold retention of the final contract amount until the job is finished and approved by the owner.

I think MBUSA needs to revise their times for work performed as it seems that these cars get more familiar to these two techs. They are able to perform that task in half the time as specified in the book.

In construction, my old boss used to say
"Pigs get greedy................ hogs get slaughtered!"

Last edited by moosejaw; 08-20-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:37 PM

2006 C55
I'm the one who started this "mess", but will be the first to point out that, at least from my perspective, there is no angry mob. I don't dislike the person(s) doing the work, it's just the system that I feel could use some looking in to.

You all went to school, I can't do the work and I appreciate that someone can keep me running.

It's just when it comes down to it, especially in this economy when Government workers are not getting paid "at all" and are going to work every day, that we should look at some of these other business practices.

I think this horse has been beaten to death so I for one am done.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by Dingleberry
WTF kind of crappy propaganda is this? There's plenty of "indy" shops out there that do BETTER work than the STEALERSHIP and also use OEM parts.
You got that right. Indy shops not only use OEM parts, but quite a few will allow you to bring OEM parts in and they will put them on. Many MB dealerships will not allow you to do it without a hassle.

A lot of the indy's also have MB certified tech's with many years of experience as well.

You know, back a few months ago I got into a heated discussion with some idiots saying MB prices are justified on this forum, aside from the fact you can get parts for about 40-80% lower, the exact same damn parts. I left the convo confused, why would you pay double for a part when you don't have to? Someone please clue me in on when throwing money away came in fashion.

Well, it may be in fashion now but it certainly is not smart.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Blahuh,
The problem is not how you do it, it's the lax standards MB sets aside to repair the problem. In any other industry that would not be tolerated. Its abuse. Im sure you and the other gentleman with the stable of AMGs work very hard and are very professional and dont see a problem with what your dealership charges.

In construction i cant allow a subcontractor to overbill for extra work. I know what it takes to do a job and pay for accordingly. If get a tab for extra hours I know arent truly representative of the work done, i reject and suspend their application for pay for the month. They then have to revise their pay apps, get me to agree with it and then they get paid. I also hold retention of the final contract amount until the job is finished and approved by the owner.

I think MBUSA needs to revise their times for work performed as it seems that these cars get more familiar to these two techs. They are able to perform that task in half the time as specified in the book.

In construction, my old boss used to say
"Pigs get greedy................ hogs get slaughtered!"
Damn you are on point. Usually people that pad get fired or laid off first in other industries, seen it first hand. My business ethics, if I work for 1 hour 15 minutes, I bill for one hour. I just don't feel honest charging another whole hour.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:34 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
the problem is why should it take 8hrs when it could have been done in 4 or 5 hrs? it's not about why should you get paid less for the same work.

take the crappy a/c vent linkage that breaks all the time in the w203 for example. someone did a complete DIY and stated only took him around 2 hrs or less, but at the same time dealership wants to charge over $500 for the same job.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The pain of my B Service