Intercooler Pump Trouble Shooting Check List

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Intercooler Pump Trouble Shooting Check List

Since every one is having so many problems related to their intercooler pump, I suggest we start a check list to see if there is some thing wrong with the intercooler pump, before replacing it. I'll add some and feel free to add on ones that I have not added.

Here are a couple that I have come up with from a brief search:

- IC pump relay in the front sam
- Intake air temperature sensor is damaged
- IC pump fuse in the rear of the car
Old 10-31-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
Originally Posted by loudandheard
Since every one is having so many problems related to their intercooler pump, I suggest we start a check list to see if there is some thing wrong with the intercooler pump, before replacing it. I'll add some and feel free to add on ones that I have not added.

-make sure you not just low on coolant
-Low level coolant sensor is working?
- after a short drive, shut off car and RUN right next to the front passenger tire and you should hear a humming sound 10-20 sec.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by W203Ramos
-make sure you not just low on coolant
-Low level coolant sensor is working?
- after a short drive, shut off car and RUN right next to the front passenger tire and you should hear a humming sound 10-20 sec.
Good information, I have had my low coolant sensor going crazy recently even though I have plenty of coolant. I have the replacement sensor and a new IC coming.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(

- Installed IC pump may be inappropriate in terms of flow.

- IC pump and it's coolant circuit have not been bled adequately.

This is relevant after changing the stock unit to another Bosch or CM30 unit or having replaced your coolant.

- IATs are too high (regardless of a properly functioning IC pump).

Many members are of the opinion that the IC pump (if working properly) will cool their intake air sufficiently. This is NOT necessarily true. If you are 'driving' your IATs above what the IC circuit can cool adequately to achieve plausible readings, the IC pump will not be sufficient.

Fortunately, the functioning IC pump will eventually decrease IATs; however, the supercharger may shut down in the meantime. This is especially important for those of you with significantly larger overdrive pulley systems (and hot ambient temperatures). Of course, the only real way to alleviate this problem is to use a different IC design (including top mount IC, dedicated IC circuit, and larger heat exchangers).
Old 10-31-2009, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
My C32 is mechanically stock and I have been having acceleration issues. I plan on replacing my IC pump because I do not know if it has ever been replaced and I have almost 130k miles.

I can still hear the pump on for a few seconds after I turn off the car, so I think it's still working, but I don't know what would be causing my problems. So I'm going to start with the IC pump and then check every thing after that to see what could be causing the problems.

The plan is:
- Replace IC pump and check all fuses and relays (hopefully I can rule out the IC pump if I can make sure it is functioning and all the fuses and relays are good)
- Replace coolant level sensor
- Do the coolant seperation
- New plugs and wires
Maybe this will alleviate my lack of acceleration issues.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Elise (total loss)
Where is the relay in front of the SAM? Does anybody have a picture? How do I test this unit?
Old 10-31-2009, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
My C32 is mechanically stock and I have been having acceleration issues. I plan on replacing my IC pump because I do not know if it has ever been replaced and I have almost 130k miles.

I can still hear the pump on for a few seconds after I turn off the car, so I think it's still working, but I don't know what would be causing my problems. So I'm going to start with the IC pump and then check every thing after that to see what could be causing the problems.

The plan is:
- Replace IC pump and check all fuses and relays (hopefully I can rule out the IC pump if I can make sure it is functioning and all the fuses and relays are good)
- Replace coolant level sensor
- Do the coolant seperation
- New plugs and wires
Maybe this will alleviate my lack of acceleration issues.

even though you can hear the pump runninng after you shut off the engine, when i tore my old pump apart you could see 2 distinct burnt areas in the windings. the pump would work on an intermittent basis, leading me to think something else was wrong. with the addition of a larger h/e and a cm30 pump i havent had a single s/c shutdown