Question on C32 second CAT remove

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Question on C32 second CAT remove

Hello everyone,

I want to remove my 2nd CAT and I know that there are couple threads saying that C32 will not gain anything on this remove. I also intend to keep the Resonator since I don’t want a loud car. However my question is “Will it hurt your performance in any case if you have your second CAT removed?” (back pressure issue?)

My current mods are 185mm pulley, Code3 intake, Modified intake manifold, LET headers, Let tune.

Thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 '02
Originally Posted by CLKCLK
Hello everyone,

I want to remove my 2nd CAT and I know that there are couple threads saying that C32 will not gain anything on this remove. I also intend to keep the Resonator since I don’t want a loud car. However my question is “Will it hurt your performance in any case if you have your second CAT removed?” (back pressure issue?)

My current mods are 185mm pulley, Code3 intake, Modified intake manifold, LET headers, Let tune.

Thanks
IMO the res delete makes the car sound quite nice, and not loud at all. taking 2nd cats will make it much louder. I've heard from a local dude that taking the 2nd cats off will also make ur primary cats die faster...I guess ymmv
Old 12-01-2009, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 gone, 06 CLS55, 16 Tesla X
Originally Posted by ML500K
taking 2nd cats will make it much louder.
I don't think it's louder than removing the Res since the purpose of res is noise reducer and CAT is for emission.

Originally Posted by ML500K
taking the 2nd cats off will also make ur primary cats die faster
Any reason for this? I think it will not affect it at all since the second CATs is to burn the left over gas a bit more for the emission purpose. Since all the sensors that reads/sends signal to the ECU are in front of these second CATs, there will be no diff in reading, therefore, there is no way for the ECU to know if the second CATs are missing or alive.

Anyone else knows if it hurts the performance because of the back pressure?
I know a lot of you have the second CATs removed right? I am assuming you are not removing them for fun besides increasing the loudness
Old 12-01-2009, 03:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 '02
Originally Posted by CLKCLK
I don't think it's louder than removing the Res since the purpose of res is noise reducer and CAT is for emission.

Any reason for this? I think it will not affect it at all since the second CATs is to burn the left over gas a bit more for the emission purpose. Since all the sensors that reads/sends signal to the ECU are in front of these second CATs, there will be no diff in reading, therefore, there is no way for the ECU to know if the second CATs are missing or alive.

Anyone else knows if it hurts the performance because of the back pressure?
I know a lot of you have the second CATs removed right? I am assuming you are not removing them for fun besides increasing the loudness
I came to this conclusion based on the vids i've heard but its true that i haven't heard with 2nd cats off and leaving the Res on.

the guy who said this to me reasoning was that with the second cat off, there will be a increase flow, and that increased flow will wear out the primary cats faster. He said he was speaking from his experience, but who knows...
Old 12-01-2009, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I played with these mods years ago. Removing the Second cats isn't really worth the time. I would really reccomend removing the resonator. Especially if you keep the cats. It sounds awesome. Modest but definetly sportier but at the time it Will not sound like a folgers can strapped to a Honda lol