C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Catalytic Convertor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
Catalytic Convertor

My dealer in the UK, Greanoaks Slough, tells me that my Cats are rattling (I can't hear it). They tell me that when the cats break up then the engine will ingest the particles severely damaging the engine. The local shop around the corner tells me not to worry until are really loud. Thoughts? Is Greenoaks trying to rip me off? My C32 has 93k miles.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
since the cat is downstream of the engine, the only thing that will happen to the particles is they will end up coming out of the tail pipe. you have no reason to worry. also, unless you're running really rich or really lean the cats probably last forever.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by mikekuriger
since the cat is downstream of the engine, the only thing that will happen to the particles is they will end up coming out of the tail pipe. you have no reason to worry. also, unless you're running really rich or really lean the cats probably last forever.
I definitely agree with Mike. I had a some sort of CEL that had to do with my cats and it went away by itself. I'm thinking that I had some sort of obstruction and it took care of it self.

The engine pushes air out and not in, so don't listen to some one who is telling you that engine will suck in things from your cats. That's rediculous