C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Paint noob; how prep/paint 3 mesh bumper grilles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32
Paint noob; how prep/paint 3 mesh bumper grilles?

First, I know nothing about bodywork prepping or painting so I hope this question isn't too stupid.

The three mesh grilles on the front of my car are all glaringly stone-chipped. I'd like to paint all three, but have no idea how to go about it. I hear that surface prep is key to a successful paint application, but dunno what that entails for this job. Can somebody kindly instruct me in prep method and materials selection (stripper, paint, techniques as applicable)?

Would having these pieces powdercoated be a better route?

Thanks for any advice!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
i would sandblast the mesh to get all the paint off and ensure good adhesion. powdercoat would be a great alternative to painting imo and much more resistant to chipping
Old 01-07-2010, 07:08 PM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C32 AMG silver & 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 black very moded
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
i would sandblast the mesh to get all the paint off and ensure good adhesion. powdercoat would be a great alternative to painting imo and much more resistant to chipping
totally agree

but enamel is also good on metals just make sure you use a primer that will prevent rusting and that the enamel is a hot enough to not blister on top of the primer or you'll have to re sandblast
Old 01-08-2010, 01:20 PM

02 C32
I'll try to find a reasonable quote on powdercoating, hopefully it won't exceed the cost of new pieces.

Originally Posted by edtv82
totally agree

but enamel is also good on metals just make sure you use a primer that will prevent rusting and that the enamel is a hot enough to not blister on top of the primer or you'll have to re sandblast
Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by getting an enamel that is 'hot enough'? Are enamels rated in temperature? What temp should be required for those three grilles on the front of the bumper (I wouldn't think they'd get that hot)?
Old 01-08-2010, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
cost of the mesh is around 150 for all 3. should be able to powdercoat them for 50$ or less.