C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Trying to solve a noise @ 30 mph

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55
Trying to solve a noise @ 30 mph

I am looking for wisdom from the collective.
I am trying to figure out a noise that is coming from what seems like the front of the car. The best way I can describe it is like there is a piece of paper fluttering or like baseball cards in a bicycle spoke. It's faint but after months it is starting to drive me crazy. I can only hear it when it is cold and I am driving at 30-31mph constant. I checked the brakes, checked the wheels, wheel weight to see if any of the was causing it. The front bumper is attached securely. Speeds above or below makes the sound go away. Oh I almost forgot it is a 2005 c55.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:42 PM

2004 Capri Blue C32
I had a similar noise in my C32 (cards in a bike spoke), and it ended up being my rear tire. The edge of the tire shredded and a piece was flapping against the rear wheel well. It eventually ripped through the plastic and stopped before I found the shredded tire.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Originally Posted by omagicbum
I am looking for wisdom from the collective.
I am trying to figure out a noise that is coming from what seems like the front of the car. The best way I can describe it is like there is a piece of paper fluttering or like baseball cards in a bicycle spoke. It's faint but after months it is starting to drive me crazy. I can only hear it when it is cold and I am driving at 30-31mph constant. I checked the brakes, checked the wheels, wheel weight to see if any of the was causing it. The front bumper is attached securely. Speeds above or below makes the sound go away. Oh I almost forgot it is a 2005 c55.
check the fenderwells to see if any of the lining is coming off? Check anything like plastic wrapped around the drive shaft? etc, etc?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK55 AMG
i hear the same thing only from the center console and it gets louder when i go faster it drives me crazy too
Old 01-29-2010, 07:59 PM

C55
Thanks. I will check those items mentioned as well. I just find it weird that it can happen at 30mph and only in the cold. When it's warm I don't hear it.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:29 AM

Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
It could also be your engine cooling fan. A few times when I cold start my car, it would make a rattling noise for a while when it turns on, and then it goes away. It doesnt always do it, but when it does it, it is annoying. Good luck fixing your problem.