Have Glycol Contamination - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
Have Glycol Contamination - Need Advice

Looks like my preventative Glycol Contamination test came back positive. Don't have the full results yet but was told it has glycol in the transmission fluid, but not much. Looking to do the full flush and radiator replacement. Anyone have a part number or link to somewhere that might sell this part cheaper than the dealer?

Also, anyone who has had glycol contamination issues (saw some back in august), could you share what happened after the flush/radiator replacement? Any problems afterward?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 C32 1987 190E 2.3 334K miles and going
Originally Posted by King320
Looks like my preventative Glycol Contamination test came back positive. Don't have the full results yet but was told it has glycol in the transmission fluid, but not much. Looking to do the full flush and radiator replacement. Anyone have a part number or link to somewhere that might sell this part cheaper than the dealer?

Also, anyone who has had glycol contamination issues (saw some back in august), could you share what happened after the flush/radiator replacement? Any problems afterward?
You mentioned preventive. Did you think because of certain symptoms you had the radiatior checked? Were there vibrations, sounds, etc?

thnx
Old 02-17-2010, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 60n5pt1
You mentioned preventive. Did you think because of certain symptoms you had the radiatior checked? Were there vibrations, sounds, etc?

thnx
Transmission is fairly smooth, a bit jerky under hard acceleration but the mechanic thought it was fine when he drove it. The preventative part came from a smell that smelled like clutch but turned out to be a loose timing chain tensioner (See thread below).

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...e-avoided.html
Old 02-17-2010, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
you can buy a behr radiator on ebay for $150 shipped.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
The transmission sucks in these cars. I had the glycol test done by the MB dealership, and I have had my transmission changed and a new tcu and a torque converter, and the car still jerks like crazy and doesnt even downshift sometimes. I ran out of options with this car. I am just driving it like it is. There is nothing more I can do to the car, and now I got a license plate light out that I cannot fix. The only thing that I am going to do to the car is change the gas pedal assembly and put in a new belt. BTW, if the transmission isnt showing signs of wear and tear after it failed the glycol test, a simple tranny fluid flush and a new upgraded (behr) radiator would do the trick. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by alkrstev
The transmission sucks in these cars. I had the glycol test done by the MB dealership, and I have had my transmission changed and a new tcu and a torque converter, and the car still jerks like crazy and doesnt even downshift sometimes. I ran out of options with this car. I am just driving it like it is. There is nothing more I can do to the car, and now I got a license plate light out that I cannot fix. The only thing that I am going to do to the car is change the gas pedal assembly and put in a new belt. BTW, if the transmission isnt showing signs of wear and tear after it failed the glycol test, a simple tranny fluid flush and a new upgraded (behr) radiator would do the trick. Good luck.
I think this is a common thing with our car's transmission. I have also experienced the car seeming like it is not down shifting. I did notice when I changed my intercooler pump, my transmission seemed to be more responsive.