C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Fuel pump wire connector in tank burned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320, C32 AMG
Fuel pump wire connector in tank burned

I opened the passenger side fuel pump yesterday and noticed the wire connector that comes from the left side fuel pump to the right side fuel pump had burned inside the fuel tank. Pretty scary thought but lucky nothing more serious happened. There is charred plastic on half of the connector which is why the pump isn't working.

If I can confirm that the 2 fuel pumps still work, do you think I can bypass the connector and solder the wires together to get the unit working again? Of course I would solder outside the tank away from the gasoline and suck out the charred plastic remains from the bottom of the tank.

Do you think that both left and right units should be replaced because the burned wires were a result of fualty parts and could burn again?

Another possiblity is to use the C320 components. But since the C32 uses 2 fuel pumps on the right side, I can drill a hole on top of the C320 right side fuel pump plastic container, solder the connection for the external (stock 2nd pump) to the existing wiring, then feed extra gas into the pump container through the new hole. It appears the 2nd pump only feeds the container where the main pump is located and is not connected to the main fuel lines.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited by numba41; 03-22-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Yup, same thing happened to my car before I owned it. I post pictures here (post 77):

https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...-bought-4.html

Honestly, I would just replace it with the parts that are supposed to be there. Soldering anything in that area makes me nervous. Not really the action of soldering near the gas tank, but the chance of the issue coming back.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by numba41
I opened the passenger side fuel pump yesterday and noticed the wire connector that comes from the left side fuel pump to the right side fuel pump had burned inside the fuel tank. Pretty scary thought but lucky nothing more serious happened. There is charred plastic on half of the connector which is why the pump isn't working.

If I can confirm that the 2 fuel pumps still work, do you think I can bypass the connector and solder the wires together to get the unit working again? Of course I would solder outside the tank away from the gasoline and suck out the charred plastic remains from the bottom of the tank.

Do you think that both left and right units should be replaced because the burned wires were a result of fualty parts and could burn again?

Another possiblity is to use the C320 components. But since the C32 uses 2 fuel pumps on the right side, I can drill a hole on top of the C320 right side fuel pump plastic container, solder the connection for the external (stock 2nd pump) to the existing wiring, then feed extra gas into the pump container through the new hole. It appears the 2nd pump only feeds the container where the main pump is located and is not connected to the main fuel lines.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

**i just had this same fuel pump wiring / burned connector problem that you are describing... my repair guy cleaned up the wire and reconnected and the pump seems to work fine now but am nervous about possible safety issues. did your fix take care of the similar problem with no recurrences or safety issue????