DIY for rear end swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
DIY for rear end swap

I was wondering if any one has a DIY for removing the rear end. I'm swapping pumpkins and possibly rear axles, but I'm not 100% on how to tackle this job. This was the closest thing I've found to instructions:

Originally Posted by PTE
I'm curently doing a install in my home garage. A lot of it is r & r time. Just to get the Differential out on to the bench. Just to get ther 1/2 shafts out.!! Now maybe I removed more that I was suppost to , but I do not like to bent , twist & Stretch things. AE parking brake cables. Brake caliper Hoses . Shocks . Brake pad sensors. Speed sensors
4 link arms/ control arms per side 8* total
2 rear shock assys
2 inside lower control to sub frame bolts
8 anti sway bar assy attachement bolts
2 rotors , so I could undo the parking brake cables. This alone will let you move the / slide the 1/2 shafts/ axle assy outward and out of the differential.
8 torque tube/driveshaft bolts
ESP latteral motion sensor
3 mount bolts that hold the differential to the sub frame
Side it sideways and downward gently, so it pulls out of the left side 1/2 shaft, About 4 -5 hours with hand tools and a beer brake/break. I figured while I had this apart I would lower it with Kleemann Springs and ordered some SPEEDYBENZ camber bars. Way labor twice. what the heck

Now you bench it. Thats another whole story. If you are lucky . you may not have to shim it. . I took mine to my Porsche Buddy . Stokes in Ft. Lauderdale. He order me the Quaife unit. measured the ring gear backlash .008mm from the factory & bearing preloads .There are big Cir clips that hold the assy,s in the saddles. They come in different thickness. That is what controls the bearing preloads & ring gear backlash. Just got to be a special order part.?? you may need end seals that the 1/2 shafts go through
Well that sit for now , BTW this is a 03 CLK 5.5 AMG. the job should be similiar ___PTE___
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...lsd-c55-8.html
Old 03-25-2010, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Anybody have a do it yourself for the removing the rear end. I'm doing a swap with a fellow member to get the quaife and was thinking of doing it myself. I'm going to be swapping pumpkins and not just internals. This can be done right?