New tires - Michelin PS A/S Plus vs. Falken FK452 vs. used Michelin PS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
New tires - Michelin PS A/S Plus vs. Falken FK452 vs. used Michelin PS

I took a look at my rear tires today while waiting for my emissions test and when the sun hit them at the perfect angle, I said **** I'm running slicks!

I knew I was running low on the rears (Michelin Pilot Sport), but wasn't expecting them to be at 0/32's........

So my current situation is this month I have 3 weddings, 1 graduation (2 of these I have to fly to), and the registration for the C55 is due (freaking yearly ad valorem tax!) so $ is a little tight. There's my sob story. I'm also not a buy-the-same-tire-again kind of guy because of so many different options out there.

My current fronts are at 5-6/32's (Pilot Sport 225/40/18). So it seems as if the rears vs. fronts are at a 2:1 wear ratio. I can either buy new PS's (but I really don't feel like dropping $600 on two tires, when they wear somewhat quickly, yet they'll probably even out with the fronts), buy some used PS's on ebay (I'm shaking my head in self-disappointment as I type this), buy 4 new PS A/S Plus (they seem to be getting decent reviews, and seem to have decent traction even with a 500 treadwear rating), or buy 4 new Falken FK452's, which I've had my eye on for a while. They seem to be a good choice for a $ for $ ratio, especially on a car that can eat tires. This is my daily driver grocery getter, so all-season tires are pretty much the requirement. PS2's would be nice, but definitely not worth the price for me.

Comparing Tire Rack, Discount Tire (and Direct), Tire Buyer Special, and used Ebay tires, here's what I got (best price is from DT since they're local to me, but doesn't including mounting). I'm just curious to see what others think - in case any of you have reviews on either of these tires or have bought used tires in the past.

(2) New rear Pilot Sports - $600 - Probably would even out with the front treadwear, yet expensive for only for two tires with low treadwear rating.

(2) Used ebay rear Pilot Sports - $130 for a couple of 4/32's, cheap temporary fix, maybe a risk.

(4) New Falken FK452s - $620 for the set, and maybe I could sell my current 50% front Pilot Sports. Falken treadwear is 300, yet in the long run would probably buy two rear sets vs. one front set.

(4) New Pilot Sport A/S Pluses - $880 for the set, and maybe I could sell my current front Pilot Sports (trying to get every $ here). This would be the most expensive option, but in the long run might (or not) be the "best" option. Of course hoping I don't hit a major pothole or have to do some type of replacement. Most expensive option....

Thanks guys.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
Even if you don't want to buy the new Pilot Sports, I wouldn't worry about replacing the fronts if they aren't worn. Just put whatever you want to go with next on the rear and worry about the fronts when they're worn out, that is unless you have a thing about running different brand tires on the different axels. It does give you a change to make sure you like the tires before putting them on the front too. I'm already about half way through these crappy Pirellis (in only 2-3k miles too!) and I'm going with the Yokohama Advan S.4. next.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK55 AMG
Nitto invo!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Well, ended up going a different route. I ended up not buying anything on ebay because I wanted something now and didn't want to buy used tires without looking at them and then have to ship them. So craigslist is the answer

Found Bridgestone runflats from BMW's for sale for $140 a pair with 70% tread, and found some Pirelli Pzero Nero (all season) like new for the same price. So I headed to town today with both rear wheels in the Expedition to go see these Pirelli's. Sure enough, these things were practically brand new. On they went. I learned a valuable lesson today - I was originally going to go buy the tires today and install them tomorrow somewhere else. But, I ended up just doing it all at his shop, which is good because it turns out the second tire failed the water test - it had a pinhole in the sidewall. He had another tire, so he mounted it up and it was perfect. But, it would've definitely been a big issue if tomorrow after all the runaround, I had a bad tire. This is what you can expect though when buying used tires. In the end, everything for now is good and I hope it stays that way.

Pirelli Pzero Nero 255/35/18 94H (M+S all season). I actually think this is a specific Mercedes fit, since the section and tread width is definitely MUCH beefier than the Pilot Sports, and is noted as wider when looking at tirerack. One tire was 90%, the other 80%. I'd say it was a deal, even though the second one was originally a fluke.

Can't complain . Although I do have to keep it under 130mph now....