C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

maintenance on a c55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:52 AM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Originally Posted by konkapot
I saw it Saturday; I was looking at/driving a CLS they had. The CLS felt like crap, but looked at yours very briefly.

You are getting one sweet car. Didn't drive it, but it is clean clean clean.

Got a pretty good vibe from talking to the guys there.

They said that they had an "interested buyer" who was coming down this week.

I asked a couple of casual questions about the car........they got excited and mentioned that you hadn't put a deposit down, and that it was "very available" for purchase. I laughed and told them to call me if you ended up not getting it.

If you had backed out I was going to come and lowball them and see what happened.

I really think you're going to be very happy with that car.

Were you able to haggle them down on price? What did you end up paying if you don't mind me asking?
Small world right?

Of course there are only so many C55s for sale at any given time so it is no wonder you came across that one in your search.

The car looks clean as a whistle and with that low of miles on a 2006 the price was right for me. I tried to play hardball at first and haggle with them, but the price is already low for a 30K mile '06 C55 and he would only come down $500 to a final price of $24,500. With taxes and tags out the door the car is costing me $25,060. I have been looking at C55s for about 4 months and for the mileage and clean record of the car I feel that this price is reasonable. Every other low mileage (<40K miles) C55 on the market right now is selling for $28,000 or more. I have put a deposit down so hopefully they aren't going to sell the car from underneath my feet before Saturday. I will tell you that I don't think they would accept a low ball offer as my initial offer was $23 and the owner, David Warren, said no way amigo.

I had a "pre-purchase" inspection done at a private MB mechanic located just down the street from the dealer in Charleston. Star Motor Services has been around for about 20 years and specializes in MB maintenance, customization, and restoration of all model years (including antique MBs), so I was very lucky to find them. After the inspection I spoke with the mechanic on the phone for about 25 minutes and he was very helpful - the bottom line was that the car is in great condition.

One thing the mechanic mentioned about the car was that because of the supercharger, when driving on the highway or running the engine hot, if you pull off at a gas station or rest stop or otherwise stop the car, you should let the engine run for a minute or two before shutting off. He claimed that this lets the oil cool in the supercharger (I know I am totally butchering what he told me) and is better for the engine's longevity. Any forum members can comment on the validity of this?

Either way konkapot, thanks for the input. Are you located in the Charleston area? My girlfriend and I are heading down there early Saturday morning from the DC/Metro area and I have been trying to book a hotel for Saturday night. As you can imagine that has been close to impossible as Charleston on Memorial Day is totally packed.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Originally Posted by mrobinso

One thing the mechanic mentioned about the car was that because of the supercharger, when driving on the highway or running the engine hot, if you pull off at a gas station or rest stop or otherwise stop the car, you should let the engine run for a minute or two before shutting off. He claimed that this lets the oil cool in the supercharger (I know I am totally butchering what he told me) and is better for the engine's longevity. Any forum members can comment on the validity of this?
The c55 does not have a supercharger from the factory.

What the mechanic said has validity with turbo cars; many people put turbo timers on their cars that lets the engine run for several minutes after the key has been removed to let the oil cool down but I have not heard this about supercharged cars.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230
Hotels/Lodging-I bet if you try a little (15 minutes) further out you'll find a room. North Charleston, Goose Creek, etc should not be booked up.

The salesboy I was talking to had a "performance plan" behind his desk that said he needed to sell 8 cars this month, and had so far only sold 1.

They also said that if they were to get another AMG-type car they would only get one that was black/black.

My plan...had you not bought it...was to come in late this week with my very clean black/black C230 and do some serious haggling. Might not have worked but I had nothing to lose.

Enjoy it man I'm excited for you. An awesome car at a great price. Good stuff.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:40 PM

2006 C55
mrobinso ,

I'd be happy to price you towing the car back to your local if you are driving in to Charleston and need to get the car home. I actually live in Clemson SC but the wife and I are coming down to Garden City Beach (an hour north of Charleston) on Memorial day and coming back a day or two later. Not sure where you would need it, but I'd be more than happy to make you a good deal on putting in on my trailer behind my F350 and bringing it home to you. Just let me know.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:51 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Clemson - I appreciate the offer, however, I am trading in my Chrysler Crossfire to the dealership I am purchasing the C55 from so I will have to drive down there anyways. Plus, I am looking forward to visiting the area and driving the new car home. Hope you have a good trip.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:36 PM

2006 C55
No problem at all. Your trip will be much more fun than mine...YOUR GETTING A NEW CAR! Gotta love those trips! But...since you won't need any towing, I'll be driving my 2006 C55 down to the beach and back...so my trip certianly won't be bad either! Have fun!