C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

2011 Z-06 V. GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
Originally Posted by Dingleberry
there's an affordable aftermarket mod for the transmission now that allows one to beat the living **** out of the trans with no issues.
So if I understand you correctly, the owner spends $80K and then hemorages even more money so the transmission doesn't fail, that is rich. I did notice the fabulous GT-R comes with a prop rod to hold the hood up................even a 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva has gas struts.
I'm not hating, I'm just laughing at the automotive equivalent to "The Emperor's New Clothes".
Old 06-08-2010, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
do the people posting about the gtr's problem actually know someone that actually owns a gtr?

I have a buddy that actually owns one. He's had it over a yr now. He daily drives the car, his only mod is a x-pipe. He tracks his car (non-drags), High speeds rolls (in mexico) and does canyon running with it almost every month and his tranny is fine.

The tranny problem has been over exaggerated by people on the internet because of people who mod the crap out of the car and doesn't expect things to possible break when you add more hp then the car was designed to.

My buddy just paid msrp as of last yr.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
Originally Posted by Phil C55
So if I understand you correctly, the owner spends $80K and then hemorages even more money so the transmission doesn't fail, that is rich. I did notice the fabulous GT-R comes with a prop rod to hold the hood up................even a 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva has gas struts.
I'm not hating, I'm just laughing at the automotive equivalent to "The Emperor's New Clothes".
the trans generally only has issues when being launched from drag racing... a lot of cars break when being launched hard repeatedly, particularly awd cars... a couple grand into the trans to have a bullet proof trans that's been holding in excess of 800hp so far seems like a fair trade off to me
Old 06-08-2010, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
do the people posting about the gtr's problem actually know someone that actually owns a gtr?

I have a buddy that actually owns one. He's had it over a yr now. He daily drives the car, his only mod is a x-pipe. He tracks his car (non-drags), High speeds rolls (in mexico) and does canyon running with it almost every month and his tranny is fine.

The tranny problem has been over exaggerated by people on the internet because of people who mod the crap out of the car and doesn't expect things to possible break when you add more hp then the car was designed to.

My buddy just paid msrp as of last yr.

He was one of the few!! I still see stealerships asking 10-20 K over for them. Once interest fades, and it will, you'll see prices dropping like the original 1990s ZR-1 Vettes did almost 20 years ago.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:01 PM

HPF E46 M3 Turbo, LET C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Dingleberry

only idiots and ricers whine about hp per liter.

keep hating.
Idiots like Ferrari? Sorry, but most "ricers" are more interested in fiber glass than a working knowledge of the inherent physics of a well engineered motor. A low revving motor that is also very large is always going to be terribly inefficient. It is a "good value" because the "technology" is EXTREMELY dated.

I can just see the guys who are "engineering" the corvette sitting around twiddling their thumbs in their break room (eating big greasy cheeseburgers) talking about:

Fat sloppy guy wearing a ketchup stained lab coat: "well, i like wonder hows we's cans make this here car go on and go, like, you know, like faster and junk."

Dissenting co-worker: "we could do a little bit of real engineering and do some R&D that fits this century, maybe???"

Guy with ranch dressing dripping down his chin as he reaches for his 54oz milkshake: "Nah. To hell with all that there crazy talk, and junk. Lets just bore us out that there engine block out a few nother liters and go get us some more food and then go look at some *******".

The lunch room erupts into sustained applause....

And "hating"?? wrong dude. i have a stage 2.5 HPF Turbo E46 M3. You actually think im concerned about what a corvette can do?

I live in f@#king Ohio, i see these living idiots in their corvettes EVERYDAY (and their oversized trucks they park them next to every night) ... what is there to "hate" about?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W210 E55 & W204 C63
Originally Posted by SETSEROCK
I live in f@#king Ohio, i see these living idiots in their corvettes EVERYDAY (and their oversized trucks they park them next to every night) ... what is there to "hate" about?
haha another M3 tool bag with a superiority complex, at the end of the day you are driving an overpriced 3 series and a C Class. Wake up buddy!

And "hating"?? wrong dude. i have a stage 2.5 HPF Turbo E46 M3. You actually think im concerned about what a corvette can do?
I ran into an over-confident fellow with a HPF 2.5 Turbo M3 like yourself once...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap-IunQzdEI

...Crushed it like a peasant uprising.

Got any vids of yourself running that M3 at the track?

GTR's are sweet cars and the way I see it is - it's just about taste and preference. They are more expensive than a Z06, more expensive to both maintain and mod, but a little easier to extract HP out of, they weigh more, but have more gadgets and the interior is more pleasant than in a Z06.

With the Z06 it's all about the driver - how well he can hook, how well he knows the power band, how quickly and when he shifts etc...
Old 06-08-2010, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
It HAS to be a good value. Middle class hicks can only afford so much...
Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
Idiots like Ferrari? Sorry, but most "ricers" are more interested in fiber glass than a working knowledge of the inherent physics of a well engineered motor. A low revving motor that is also very large is always going to be terribly inefficient. It is a "good value" because the "technology" is EXTREMELY dated.

I can just see the guys who are "engineering" the corvette sitting around twiddling their thumbs in their break room (eating big greasy cheeseburgers) talking about:

Fat sloppy guy wearing a ketchup stained lab coat: "well, i like wonder hows we's cans make this here car go on and go, like, you know, like faster and junk."

Dissenting co-worker: "we could do a little bit of real engineering and do some R&D that fits this century, maybe???"

Guy with ranch dressing dripping down his chin as he reaches for his 54oz milkshake: "Nah. To hell with all that there crazy talk, and junk. Lets just bore us out that there engine block out a few nother liters and go get us some more food and then go look at some *******".

The lunch room erupts into sustained applause....

i wish i could buy you a shot for this kind words, couldn't said it any better, i was serisously Laughin my *** of while reading this
Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 AM

Marsaydees
Originally Posted by kindafast
haha another M3 tool bag with a superiority complex, at the end of the day you are driving an overpriced 3 series and a C Class. Wake up buddy!

I ran into an over-confident fellow with a HPF 2.5 Turbo M3 like yourself once...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap-IunQzdEI

flawless execution, sir.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
A low revving motor that is also very large is always going to be terribly inefficient.
You're wrong in 2 ways.

1. The Z06's engine redlines at 7,000 rpm, in laymen terms (so that you understand) it revs freakishly high especially for a 7 liter "dated" engine as you call it (you know cause all "dated" engines have dry sump setups LOL!)

2. Terribly inefficient how exactly? 29 mpg freeway is barely off most hybrid sedans (Camry hybrid 36.6mpg).

If your argument is hp per liter then everyone knows you can get 500+ hp out of a 4 banger but it won't live long to tell the story. Chevy built a big *** engine that makes 500 hp, is meant to be driven everyday and it does so without breaking a sweat. For you see that engine makes the 500 hp easier than the 4 banger does.

Bottom line is people like you just don't get it so I digress.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Never been in this section before but you guys are funny and a few of you are very misinformed.

A real car enthusiast appreciate performance whether it comes from GM, Nissan, Porsche, Ferrari or any manufacturer for that matter.

For the sake of this discussion here are a few track times for the two cars:

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs Nissan GT-R

Lap Times

Track Corvette C6 Z06 vs GT-R

Top Gear Track 1:22.4 / 1:19.7
Nordschleife 7:42.9 / 7:26.70
Tsukuba 1:04.551 / 1:01.759
Hockenheim Short 1:11.5 / 1:10.7
Willow Springs 1:32.06 / 1:31.23
Buttonwillow (#13) 2:01.00 / 1:56.9
Autozeitung test track 1:39.4 / 1:36.5
Old 06-09-2010, 03:41 PM

2010 C63
I will take one of each please.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:20 PM

2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
Actually there is a great deal of true engineering that goes into Corvette. They are tough as a keg of nails too. I have had a Corvette pinion in my hand and you would swear it came out of a dump truck, it is HUGE, fragile they are not. One of the accept criteria for Corvette drive train is 300 drag race passes in a row, wide open throttle, with speed shifts, and zero failures. Not sure how many other cars could tolerate that kind of abuse. The Corvette is for real, and even if some of the buyers use them as ***** extensions, it doesn't make the car bad. I'm quite sure there are many who look at us in our Mercs and say "who the hell does he think he is in his fancy Mercedes Benz". I like the blend of quality, performance, style, and overall dynamics of the car (didn't buy it to please or impress anyone). To each his own.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by Rock
Never been in this section before but you guys are funny and a few of you are very misinformed.

A real car enthusiast appreciate performance whether it comes from GM, Nissan, Porsche, Ferrari or any manufacturer for that matter.

For the sake of this discussion here are a few track times for the two cars:

Chevrolet Corvette Z06 vs Nissan GT-R

Lap Times

Track Corvette C6 Z06 vs GT-R

Top Gear Track 1:22.4 / 1:19.7
Nordschleife 7:42.9 / 7:26.70
Tsukuba 1:04.551 / 1:01.759
Hockenheim Short 1:11.5 / 1:10.7
Willow Springs 1:32.06 / 1:31.23
Buttonwillow (#13) 2:01.00 / 1:56.9
Autozeitung test track 1:39.4 / 1:36.5
*** Those are very old track runs because the Vette in the Automobile mag test was on the A** of the GTR the whole way around & without the weight of the AWD (nor the traction of the AWD!!) **
Old 06-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
My point was that most test show a stock GTR to be faster than a stock ZO6 around a race track.

GTR VS Z06 at Buttonwillow (Road and Track):
http://www.roadandtrack.com/content/...ct_OnTrack.pdf

Another test with a 2010 GTR vs 2010 ZR1 vs 2010 Porsche TT at Spring Mountain (Road and Track):

GTR= 1:20.9
ZR1= 1:20.1
911TT= 121.3

Sounds pretty fast to me.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:22 AM

HPF E46 M3 Turbo, LET C32 AMG
Originally Posted by kindafast
haha another M3 tool bag

You could be forgiven for this assumption (since i do, for the moment, own one). I cant even bring myself to post on ANY BMW forum. They are SERIOUS "toolbags"...They, much like [the middle class] GM and nissan Z guys, are arrogant snobs...I was just stating that Im not "hating" because i dont have a built-in-the-good-'ol-U.S.-of-A. corvette. i believe american products are quite simply crap, built for MAXIMUM profit at the expense of quality (its not just american cars. This practice is a hallmark of the american market as a whole).

at the end of the day you are driving an overpriced 3 series and a C Class.

You, sir, are the undisputed Master of the Obvious. (as i do, indeed, drive those exact two cars. And you stated that fact with forthright precision.). Though you could have added "as well as an over priced C-class" (but then you would be saying the same about your self that you said about my M3. so you didnt write it)

Spoken like a true American...with a superiority complex.

None worth much. Ive taken it to Mid Ohio with the Porsche Club of America group a few times. Im not a great driver. As a very full time mechanical engineering student , i rarely have the time to go. and its hard and expensive to go there. This being Ohio there are 10 million drag strips, but thats nothing im interested in whatsoever...

With the Z06 it's all about the driver - how well he can hook, how well he knows the power band, how quickly and when he shifts etc...

That is EVERY performance oriented car though...This car isnt without any merits, its drivers just have biased my opinion to the point where i can hardly view it objectively. Are they ALL this bad? I dont know, i havent met every last one of them. i can only refer to the ones who i have personally seen and had the unfortunate luck to have to interact with. Im not saying youre one of these guys. ive never met you. You very well may be a cool guy that drives a corvette. Theres a first time for everything.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:37 AM

Marsaydees
*facepalm* what a tool... just stop while you're behind...
Old 06-19-2010, 11:28 PM

2003 EVO 8 612whp(sold) 2005 c55 amg R35 GTR
Gtr own z06 in real world runs

With ecu tunes they runs high 10's