New member!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 11:13 PM
pww

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by 02C32guy
I've heard / read a lot of different things about tire stretch. The way I understand, it started in Europe because the law said that the tire tread had to be inside the fender. So to put wider wheels and more aggressive offsets people started stretching the tires to adhere to the law. The look caught on and people in other areas started to do the same thing. I've also read that sometimes it's popular with the drifting crowd because the sidewalls are stiffer and help the car to roll less. As well as having less rubber on the pavement is good for amateurs to get started drifting. Also, some say it's done out of necessity because narrow tires are cheaper. Just an fyi.
very interesting actually. I know that the fitting inside the fender still applies. The whole poking wheels has caught on, so to fit, like you said, wider wheels that poke out, people use stretch to tuck the tire still, and avoid rubbing.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
Stock was 245, at least on mine? (holy **** how'd you get 285s to fit)

They don't really fit lol. I'm running 10mm spacers on the back with stock suspension but even when I'm by myself the outer edge rubs over every divot because stock suspension has a pretty high dampening setting from what i understand. I can tell you though the nitto 555 drag tires can finally HOOK UP. No more spinning out into second gear and I can finally go WOT in 1st (still have to feather the launch just a little bit or I bog or spin out).

Looking back I would have rather just replaced my 275/30/18 hankooks and put on some 255/40/16 MT drag radials.

But zero to 60 is awesome now!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:38 PM
pww

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'05 C55 AMG
Anybody have any idea what a safe offset range for an 18x10 would be?