C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Code3 Pully install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Code3 Pully install

I have a C32 AMG. I have just bought a second hand Code 3 pully (Aluminium one). I have no other information on generation of pulley etc but I presume it should be a late one being Aluminum? The seller says it's 6 months old and only done 1500 miles.

The pully has arrived today and is at home unopened (Im at work). Now my question is about shims? I read about putting one or two shims on to gain clearance for correct operation. Is this correct for all generations of code 3 pullys or just the early ones?

If I have not been supplied shims have I got a problem?

If so where could I purchase suitable shims? (Im UK based)

I have a couple of upgrades to the car already. An ECU Remap (for a standard car) and Johnson CM30 Intercooler pump.

I can't seem to find a guide for the pully installation. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I have already bought a strap wrench in anticipation.

And finally hello all.. my first post

Andrew
Old 07-13-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 C32, '08 ML63
Welcome to the forums

Code3 Pulley Install

I pulled that from the sticky at the top of the forum under 'How-To's'.

I can't speak to the shims though but I'm sure somebody else can.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
I didn't need the shims in mine. The only way you're going to know is to put it on and see if there is a gap. At first I put a couple shims in and the gap was a little wide. The clutch still worked fine though. When I replaced the bearing I took the shims off and the gap is better now.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:45 PM

C32 AMG
I have just checked and I have been sent 2 shims with the pulley.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Roll on Saturday when I change it over.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
what you want with the shims isnt a specific measurement. you are looking to get the pulley as close to the clutch WITHOUT TOUCHING anywere.
i have said this many times,repeat it again. THE TORQUE IS IN NEWTONS NOT FT. LBS!!! 20 NM IS APPROX 14 FT.LBS. if you torque the hollow bolt to 20 ft.lbs. you will break the bolt!!! it can not be purchased by itself. you have to buy the pulley and bolt and washer from m/b for 1000$$ BE CAREFUL!!
Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
I have an aluminium Code 3 pulley (3rd. generation) and it came without shims. It's been on the car for 4000 miles with no slipping or problems. As 320 dreamer already pointed out, don't over torque the bolt. It is hollow and was designed to break if over torqued. Also, I highly recommend using a strap wrench to get the old one off. If the tools not right, the guys not bright.

Les
Old 07-14-2010, 03:03 AM

2001 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Velociabstract
I have an aluminium Code 3 pulley (3rd. generation) and it came without shims. It's been on the car for 4000 miles with no slipping or problems. As 320 dreamer already pointed out, don't over torque the bolt. It is hollow and was designed to break if over torqued. Also, I highly recommend using a strap wrench to get the old one off. If the tools not right, the guys not bright.

Les
^ Everything up here is relevant to my installation.. received no shims but didn't need them.