Quarks and questions about your car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Quarks and questions about your car?

So as I got in my car and thought about the armrest thread, I thought I would start a thread about what you find odd about your car and to see if it's normal with our type of car. There are a lot of things that I find odd and I always wanted to compare mine with another car.

I'll start it off with some of my questions.

When you turn on auto on the A/C control does it turn off by itself. I'll press the button in and the light will come on and then will turn off by itself, but it mainly occurs on the driver's side, the other side stays lit.

When I use the auto button on the A/C and then I go to change the A/C speed manually, the auto light will stay on, but it will no longer say auto in the display.

I've had dust fall on me when I open my sunroof, might have just been dirty.

I have to be around 4-5ft away from the car in order to unlock/lock the car. Does yours do that.

Reception on the radio is satisfactory at best.

My seat memory erases by itself.

My auto up and down functions need to be re-synced every now and then or they will not work. You know holding the switch all the way up for a few seconds.

A/C fan speed seems starts off at medium for a few seconds and then will drop to a slow speed at around 84 degrees out side temperature. This occurs when in auto mode and with the thermostat set to 69.

Alarm goes off at random, think it may just be a faulty siren.

Are these normal quarks of our cars and do you experience them?
Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
I have issues with my seats not staying in the correct position when I return to my car, however the memory setting is still there.

I don't experience anything else on the list.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:29 AM

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
2017 GLS 550
I usually keep fan speed set to 0 and A/C on auto all the time well the other day the Auto shut off, I hit the auto button again and it shut off again. I turned the fan speed up to 6 and it was blowing fine, I then hit auto again and it stayed on.

When you use the one touch close on the sunroof does anyone elses stop at about 3-4" open? it is kinda a pain, I have to hold the switch in the close position to get it to close fully.

I figure I need to get the A/C checked out, I need to get the extended warranty transferred to my name. I have heard it is not the easiest thing if you don't have the original contract. The PO didn't give me contract, I just have the extended warranty card that has his info on it.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by chris.bachman
I have issues with my seats not staying in the correct position when I return to my car, however the memory setting is still there.

I don't experience anything else on the list.
Are you using the setting that moves the seat to the back when you get out of the car? If so I would not use it because it will stop working over time. The control over the position of the steering wheel also has a propensity to go out.

Originally Posted by thtguy
I usually keep fan speed set to 0 and A/C on auto all the time well the other day the Auto shut off, I hit the auto button again and it shut off again. I turned the fan speed up to 6 and it was blowing fine, I then hit auto again and it stayed on.

When you use the one touch close on the sunroof does anyone elses stop at about 3-4" open? it is kinda a pain, I have to hold the switch in the close position to get it to close fully.

I figure I need to get the A/C checked out, I need to get the extended warranty transferred to my name. I have heard it is not the easiest thing if you don't have the original contract. The PO didn't give me contract, I just have the extended warranty card that has his info on it.
It looks like we are having similar A/C issues, but I wonder how common it is.

As for the sunroof, you need to re-sync the auto functions by holding the switch in the close position for about 20-30 seconds. I've had that happen to me before, kind of like the problem I was having with my windows. I think you may also want to look in to having the rails in sunroof mechanism lubed to keep it working smoothly.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by loudandheard
So as I got in my car and thought about the armrest thread, I thought I would start a thread about what you find odd about your car and to see if it's normal with our type of car. There are a lot of things that I find odd and I always wanted to compare mine with another car.

I'll start it off with some of my questions.

When you turn on auto on the A/C control does it turn off by itself. I'll press the button in and the light will come on and then will turn off by itself, but it mainly occurs on the driver's side, the other side stays lit.

When I use the auto button on the A/C and then I go to change the A/C speed manually, the auto light will stay on, but it will no longer say auto in the display.

I've had dust fall on me when I open my sunroof, might have just been dirty.

I have to be around 4-5ft away from the car in order to unlock/lock the car. Does yours do that.

Reception on the radio is satisfactory at best.

My seat memory erases by itself.

My auto up and down functions need to be re-synced every now and then or they will not work. You know holding the switch all the way up for a few seconds.

A/C fan speed seems starts off at medium for a few seconds and then will drop to a slow speed at around 84 degrees out side temperature. This occurs when in auto mode and with the thermostat set to 69.

Alarm goes off at random, think it may just be a faulty siren.

Are these normal quarks of our cars and do you experience them?
-Yes my auto ac turns off randomly (seems to be mostly when it's real hot)
-When you change the fan speed manually, you are turning off the auto fan speed, but the auto vents stays on. This is why the auto light is still illuminated.
-Your door handle signal receiver is going (common)
-Radio reception is definitely mediocre.
-Just a thought, but maybe you have a loose battery connection or something causing the need to re-sync windows and relearn seat positions.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32/C55 AMG
Originally Posted by 02C32guy
-Yes my auto ac turns off randomly (seems to be mostly when it's real hot)
-When you change the fan speed manually, you are turning off the auto fan speed, but the auto vents stays on. This is why the auto light is still illuminated.
-Your door handle signal receiver is going (common)
-Radio reception is definitely mediocre.
-Just a thought, but maybe you have a loose battery connection or something causing the need to re-sync windows and relearn seat positions.
Good to know that these are common issues.

I'm pretty sure I have a good connection because my aftermarket radio is wired into the pre-existing power connections and it had not reset. Not too sure though, I'll give it a check any ways.

I noticed the the brackets on the strut towers, the metal connections you can see under the hood, move when I turn my wheels. Are they meant to turn. I notice that the bolt on one side moves with a little effort, but I can't tighten it. Any ideas?
Old 07-23-2010, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Those are some serious issues
Im pleased to say that my car (currently for sale) has none of those.......Shameless plug