Ignition Cylinder sort of ate my key :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Ignition Cylinder sort of ate my key :)

Hi All,

This is my first post and I did in fact search before posting, so hopefully I will not offend anyone. That said, I love my 2002 C32 AMG but it has a few issues and I have a question?

1) The infamous 2nd gear jerking issue (found help for that, so I am armed and ready)

2) What is the purpose of the aux input in glove box? I was hoping it was to plug in an ipod... Not.

3) My ignition cylinder literally fell into the dashboard. The circular housing did not break or crack but did fall out. Currently i tied a string around the cylinder and leave it dangling out in case i push it in too far. Just curious if anyone ran into this same issue and if there is an easy to access it under dash.

4) Can anyone recommend a good indie mechanic that knows my car in the LA area? I live in Studio City.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Sounds like some one installed it incorrectly in the first place. I would go to mercedes and pull up the work history on the car and see if the ignition was ever replaced. If it was, then send a letter to MBUSA and you never know, they may cover the work for you, if indeed due to incompetence. Never hurts to try.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
I have no answer for you on the ignition cylinder. That's odd.

To the point of the aux input, yes, it will be an input for an iPod or other audio device. First you need a double male-ended 3.5mm headphone adapter (under $4 at RadioShack) to plug into the glove box jack and the device. Then, on the COMAND, press the SVC button. Dial over to AUX and go. That is it.

And, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you already know about the wealth of information posted in thousands of threads about our cars both, here and in the regular W203 forum also.

Good luck with the C32.