C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Need advice buying a C32 AMG (2002 vs 2003)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Just picked one up last week, an '02 C32 AMG. Summer driven only, looks mint. Thanks for all your advice guys. I ended up buying none of the cars I previously listed. I bought one from a private sale. No accidents and 100,000kms (60,000 miles). Car drives great.

Everything works great minus the I/C pump which is completely dead, my S/C will barely run for 5 seconds before it goes dead for a good couple min. I get 5 second bursts of boost before I have to recharge for a min! lol. I'm taking it easy till I get the pump installed. I'm just surprized the previous owner didn't bother fixing it. Anyways, have a CM30 arriving monday. So far I've done an oil change with Motul 8100 0W40, 2 x K&N flat panel filters, CL type front grill (still waiting for the flat hood emblem), clear side markers (haven't installed yet), CF AMG rear spoiler and in the process of wiring up my AEM UEGO wideband AFR and boost gauges. When I get more money I'm going to change the S/C oil and tranny oil, possibly do the gycol check as well. BTW, I still don't understand why I have the AMG plaque. Doesn't look like it can be added on afterwards. Looks like there's a place on the S/C for the plauqe to be stuck on. Unlike the ones without the plaque the S/C is just a heatsink. Anyways, I went to MB Canada and asked them about it, they checked out the codes and said this is the original engine for the car. It was manufactured mid 2001 and is a MY 2002. MB Canada assured me that all AMG motors, even the '02 models have the plaque. You and I of course know this is BS! I've checked out 6 other used C32's that were 2002's and none of them had the plaque. I also checked out 3 2003's and they all had them. I've also ordered some depo clear projectors. I can't stand these "frosty" reflector HID's, look like someone added HID bulbs to a car that had halogens before. Terrible. The car is great, but no fast, not till I fix the pump.

Here are some poor quality cell phone pics taken from my BB....

Last edited by Autotechnica; 08-15-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
the car may have had the s/c replaced under warrenty. it would come with a place for a plaque and plaques can be had on ebay.
enjoy!
Old 08-15-2010, 06:08 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
the car may have had the s/c replaced under warrenty. it would come with a place for a plaque and plaques can be had on ebay.
enjoy!
I hope you're right! Thanks!

Will I damage the S/C by driving the car with a dead pump? The S/C keeps kicking in and out even when I drive normal. I basically have to feather the throttle otherwise I can feel the S/C clutches kick in and out. I did a short run from 80km/h-150km/h after warm up and it felt good! Then was a voilent jolt which I assume was the clutch kicking out and then nothing, I could barely accelerated past that 150km/h. Anyways, afterwards, even after I got the S/C back the power wasn't that graet, probably from heat soak. I'm certain my pump is completely dead. I've also checked the fuse, is good!
Old 08-15-2010, 07:37 PM

Volvo
Unplug the S/C until you get the pump fixed, Im sure it clicking on and off isn't good for it
Old 08-15-2010, 07:39 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by OverDrive
Unplug the S/C until you get the pump fixed, Im sure it clicking on and off isn't good for it
how do I "inplug" the supercharger? Isn't a S/C mechnical and the clutch controlled by the ECU?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:24 PM

Volvo
Indeed your right but you can unplug the clutch cable that allows the clutch to engage thus turning on the S/C. If you look at this picture (Example) The plug is right above the Idler Pully, Right next the S/C pulley
Old 08-15-2010, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by Autotechnica
how do I "inplug" the supercharger? Isn't a S/C mechnical and the clutch controlled by the ECU?
just keep it under boost and it wont engage
avoid going full throttle
Old 08-15-2010, 09:35 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by OverDrive
Indeed your right but you can unplug the clutch cable that allows the clutch to engage thus turning on the S/C. If you look at this picture (Example) The plug is right above the Idler Pully, Right next the S/C pulley

Is it the electrical plug right above the large pulley at the top? Sorry, I'm still learning, I have 0 knowledge of S/C cars. I've only owned turbo cars.