C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Would you pay 29k for a 2005 C55 with 11,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by F1Bobby
Ok, the C55 with 11k miles on it is worth what you're willing to pay for it... That's is the bottom line here IMHO. That sounds like it could be one of few left that are unmolested. Is it worth $29k to me??? If I had my heart set on a C55 then the mileage is a big factor. An unmolested C55 with that mileage is a rare find again IMHO.
Is the E55 a better car??? The true answer is yes and no... Faster yes! but do damage to it and your wallet will scream for mercy. The C55 ain't cheap either don't get me wrong. If you're looking for a fun car that there are less and less each day then that C55 providing it has no hidden issues may be the way to go. Is there room on the asking price... My guess is more than likely. If you could roll away in it for $25 to 27k with a true 11k miles you would probably be pretty happy IMHO again.

Happiness is buying the car and "thinking" you got a good deal. If it makes you happy, then pull the trigger and get the car. 11,000 is low (although I'd almost have to ask why so low??). The only other car I've seen lower is Gene Gormans C32(for the year).
Old 09-16-2010, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by mrobinso
Yes there are definitely E55s out there in that price range with 30-45K on the odo.

I would contact them first and offer 24,000. The mileage for that car is amazing but regardless its already out of warranty.
And a 2005 C55 isn't out of (the original)warranty? I wouldn't pay that much for a CPO'd C55, either, regardless of mileage. One year is well, just that, one year...
Old 09-16-2010, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Don't forget about the options as well. Options included comand navigation, black birds eye maple wood interior, and bixenon. I think all of them came with the rain sensing/rear sunshade/HK audio/cd changer/sunroof.

I honestly prefer cars with 50,000 miles than cars with 10,000. That gives you many miles to get the bugs figured out. After looking at the previous owner's paperwork (broken steering column dogbone, funky wheel switches, diff fluid changed, rear main seal replaced, .....) I'm glad that was done on someone else's dime at the dealership.

The funny one was "customer states the transmission doesn't shift and revs high". I guess they didn't tell her about the AMG Sportshift under heavy cornering and braking.....
Old 09-17-2010, 09:22 AM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Originally Posted by vtecsti
And a 2005 C55 isn't out of (the original)warranty? I wouldn't pay that much for a CPO'd C55, either, regardless of mileage. One year is well, just that, one year...
It is my understanding that all C55s (2005-2006) came with a 4 year/50,000 mile manufacturer warranty. Pretty confident the vehicle OP has referenced would fall outside of the '4 year' part of that equation.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:24 PM

2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
What I find funny is how many people go around and around about how much a C55 is worth and then seem fine in spending 10% of the cars price for a set of headers. Lay out ten sets of headers on the ground next to a C55, hmmmmm suddenly they don't look like such a good value. I understand low volume and tooling etc. that drives the price, it's just funny how some things are justified and some things aren't.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by Phil C55
What I find funny is how many people go around and around about how much a C55 is worth and then seem fine in spending 10% of the cars price for a set of headers. Lay out ten sets of headers on the ground next to a C55, hmmmmm suddenly they don't look like such a good value. I understand low volume and tooling etc. that drives the price, it's just funny how some things are justified and some things aren't.
Spoken like a true "former" car sales mgr. Although I can certainly see your logic. I also don't believe that headers alone are giving the C55 40-50 RWHP?? But that's just me??
Old 09-17-2010, 04:57 PM

2006 C55 AMG White/Ash
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
Spoken like a true "former" car sales mgr. Although I can certainly see your logic. I also don't believe that headers alone are giving the C55 40-50 RWHP?? But that's just me??
Yeah, 50 rwhp...........seems a bit of a stretch to me. Just because I made a living by selling cars doesn't make me bad, just means I have a whole different perspective than most. A standard line I heard all the time was "you know when the customer is lying, it's when their mouth is moving". I caught a catholic priest lying to me and I said "father, you're not telling me the truth" he said "that's negotiating Phil" His justification of it. Don't get me wrong, on the whole the industry has the reputation it deserves.................probably always will. Now that I am away I hate it. After 8+ years away I still have nightmares about it. Feels like I did time in a POW camp.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:07 PM

LADA 1600
Looks like a pretty good deal to me if its in perfect condition. Then again, things are worth only what you're willing to spend.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by masterianvii
Looks like a pretty good deal to me if its in perfect condition. Then again, things are worth only what you're willing to spend.

Or conversely, what someone is willing to "pay."
Old 09-17-2010, 05:34 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by mrobinso
It is my understanding that all C55s (2005-2006) came with a 4 year/50,000 mile manufacturer warranty. Pretty confident the vehicle OP has referenced would fall outside of the '4 year' part of that equation.
I must have misread your post. We said pretty much the same thing.

I apologize.

Last edited by Mantooth; 09-17-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:30 PM

2004 Audi S4
Originally Posted by 559EVO
I'm having trouble deciding if a car 5 years old is worth that much, please give me your input. It's from a mercedes dealer
I just bought a mint 2005 with 38,000 miles for $22,890. So, definitely not. I don't even feel that I got all that great of a deal on it. I would be willing to pay maybe $24,000 at most.

But to be honest, stay away from the dealerships. There is really no deal to be had at these places. At least by buying off of Autotrader, eBay (which I have bought two outstanding vehicles on), or Craigslist, you can buy the car for what it is worth. Also, you can screen the owner of the car (which is big to me), to see if it was a little 16 year old that ragged on it, or if it was an old dentist who drove it to work 2 days out of the week.

I have yet to feel like a dealership gives two *****s about me. I never try to seem desperate at a dealership for a car. I never walk into a dealership and walk-out with one on the same day. I always talk numbers and then if I like where we leave it at, then I will come back the following day. Even when I feel like I'm tracking a decent trade-in value/buying price, they always seem to say, "We will call you tomorrow." ...and they never do. That is just terrible business and it has happened at a ton of dealerships. As you can see, I am very bitter towards dealerships and I think they should all be avoided!

Last edited by whatthecrunchyo; 09-17-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:33 PM

2004 Audi S4
Originally Posted by Phil C55
Yeah, 50 rwhp...........seems a bit of a stretch to me. Just because I made a living by selling cars doesn't make me bad, just means I have a whole different perspective than most. A standard line I heard all the time was "you know when the customer is lying, it's when their mouth is moving". I caught a catholic priest lying to me and I said "father, you're not telling me the truth" he said "that's negotiating Phil" His justification of it. Don't get me wrong, on the whole the industry has the reputation it deserves.................probably always will. Now that I am away I hate it. After 8+ years away I still have nightmares about it. Feels like I did time in a POW camp.
The two people I hate most in this world:

1. car salesmen
2. tow truck drivers

No offense Phil!
Old 09-18-2010, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
[quote=i_am_amused;4253073]
Originally Posted by Newzchspy

Straight line speed? S55 > C55
Comfort? S55 > C55
Luxury? S55 > C55
SOUND? S55 > C55

Handling? it's a push

Gas Mileage? C55 > S55. There, you win one.

While we here: Ability to Mod? S55 > C55
"A lil tune, pulley and tires and you've got a high 11 sec car"

is it twice the speed? no
is it twice the size? no
is it twice as rare? no
is it twice as comfortable? no
twice the cost brand new? yes, if not more
an amazing car? i still think it's amazing, just not my 19 year old style.

about the c55, i think 26 or 27k should be max on that car. i paid 25,500 for my car with cpo, 28k miles, no issues dents, rips etc. back in october from mercedes benz of san francisco. amazing car though don't pass it up.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:17 AM

2004 Audi S4
[QUOTE=michael kuzni;4255807]
Originally Posted by i_am_amused

is it twice the speed? no
is it twice the size? no
is it twice as rare? no
is it twice as comfortable? no
twice the cost brand new? yes, if not more
an amazing car? i still think it's amazing, just not my 19 year old style.

about the c55, i think 26 or 27k should be max on that car. i paid 25,500 for my car with cpo, 28k miles, no issues dents, rips etc. back in october from mercedes benz of san francisco. amazing car though don't pass it up.
you're only 19?! dang, i thought i was ahead of the curve at 23 with a mid 20k car!
Old 09-18-2010, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C55
[QUOTE=whatthecrunchyo;4255847]
Originally Posted by michael kuzni

you're only 19?! dang, i thought i was ahead of the curve at 23 with a mid 20k car!
go to the c63 forum...tons of highschoolers with new c63's lol.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
[quote=RLx02;4255858]
Originally Posted by whatthecrunchyo

go to the c63 forum...tons of highschoolers with new c63's lol.
yea i noticed that, and holy crap i saw this kid on there that was 16 who basically just took his dad's c63. his posts were things such as "sooo like...omg....how do you open the windows with the remote?" and what not. i'm completely different, worked hard since i was 16 to buy a corvette c5, and then my dad just gave me his bmw x5 when i was 16 and i babied that and sold it last year when i was 18 for 6k above blue book. so i bought the c55 because all of my friends have bmw e46 m3's, 335's, audi s4's and my car is the fastest. in the summer i'm hoping to buy an e55 for about $20k as my daily driver.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:07 AM

2004 Audi S4
[QUOTE=michael kuzni;4255870]
Originally Posted by RLx02

yea i noticed that, and holy crap i saw this kid on there that was 16 who basically just took his dad's c63. his posts were things such as "sooo like...omg....how do you open the windows with the remote?" and what not. i'm completely different, worked hard since i was 16 to buy a corvette c5, and then my dad just gave me his bmw x5 when i was 16 and i babied that and sold it last year when i was 18 for 6k above blue book. so i bought the c55 because all of my friends have bmw e46 m3's, 335's, audi s4's and my car is the fastest. in the summer i'm hoping to buy an e55 for about $20k as my daily driver.
Haha, I was in your shoes once. I went to a ritzy school in an upper-class town (where all of the Dallas Cowboys live if you can guess). I was given everything by silver spoon, but always took for granted and was jealous of my friends with the Skylines, M3s, HMMWVs, STis, Evos, S4s, and believe it or not, a Ford GT. Well anyway, I went to school at Texas A&M and the independence hit. My parents started easing me off of the "teat" and I wasn't able to buy as much. Finally, when I graduated, I became fiscally and financially responsible to myself and have accrued enough to be more than comfortable, with some to spare.

The reason I say all this, is because, at one point I genuinely gave two *****s about what my friends thought. But I realized, that I am more than happy with saving my money and making quarterly purchases. While I certainly wouldn't mind a free lunch every now and then, there is certainly a sense of pride when you can say something is yours; when you are free of any liens, loans, or obligation. I get paid a very basic government wage and it is more than enough to be happy

Long story short, don't get caught up in vehicles. They are money traps and they will never do anything more than take your money. A car generally won't appreciate (at least not in your lifetime). Save your dollars and invest. It is a great time to!
Old 09-18-2010, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55
Everytime i see my friend's 3.7 mill condo at the age of 24 i feel my soul wither just a little bit.

Lol. In addition to that, a friend of mine (who is 1 year older than me...27) is going to have his ferrari f430 scuderia featured in sir mix a lot's new music video coming out...called 'cars' of course lol.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:59 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Everytime i see my friend's 3.7 mill condo at the age of 24 i feel my soul wither just a little bit.

Lol. In addition to that, a friend of mine (who is 1 year older than me...27) is going to have his ferrari f430 scuderia featured in sir mix a lot's new music video coming out...called 'cars' of course lol.
The red one with gray stripes?
Old 09-18-2010, 05:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
For a somewhat rare car with unusually low miles KBB does not apply as much.

You have to look at how many examples of clean c55's are available locally to you, your time frame to buy, and make a relative comparison from there.

* I would get as low mlg example as I could find. Just that many less miles that could have been hot-rodded.
* A used benz from a dealership is not a bad thing. It all dep on your relationship with the dealership. I'm comfortable with mine over our dealings over the past few years. Beware of auction cars and craigslist flippers, and craigslist scammers.
* If you really have the mod bug, AND you're want the most bang for your MOD dollar..... I'd get a factory supercharges iteration to start with: C32, or E55. I'm modding a clk55 which is N/a...... and I'll get where I want to go mod/hp wise..... but I'm putting the value of the car back into it to get there...... (not bragging......... trust me...... each dollar above KBB is lost I realize)........

Good luck and enjoy the search for the new car, and be happy you have a better half who is OPEN to the idea of getting an AMG.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold

eh there's always people more successful then you, thats life. I have a few friends thats similar to what you said too, except add in marrying a model as well. All you can do is be happy for them and ask if they have any tips to their success..lol.

But i know how you feel, I even told my friend, knowing you makes me depressed some times..lol. Of course its a joke.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aston Martin V8 Vantage
[quote=whatthecrunchyo;4255890]
Originally Posted by michael kuzni

Haha, I was in your shoes once. I went to a ritzy school in an upper-class town (where all of the Dallas Cowboys live if you can guess). I was given everything by silver spoon, but always took for granted and was jealous of my friends with the Skylines, M3s, HMMWVs, STis, Evos, S4s, and believe it or not, a Ford GT. Well anyway, I went to school at Texas A&M and the independence hit. My parents started easing me off of the "teat" and I wasn't able to buy as much. Finally, when I graduated, I became fiscally and financially responsible to myself and have accrued enough to be more than comfortable, with some to spare.

The reason I say all this, is because, at one point I genuinely gave two *****s about what my friends thought. But I realized, that I am more than happy with saving my money and making quarterly purchases. While I certainly wouldn't mind a free lunch every now and then, there is certainly a sense of pride when you can say something is yours; when you are free of any liens, loans, or obligation. I get paid a very basic government wage and it is more than enough to be happy

Long story short, don't get caught up in vehicles. They are money traps and they will never do anything more than take your money. A car generally won't appreciate (at least not in your lifetime). Save your dollars and invest. It is a great time to!

thanks for the advice, it's what i needed to hear. my life is already financially, but i don't want to jinx it. everytime i pull up to my friends houses or just go out in the company 416m, it gets the people my age and much older. especially when i go to pf changs. my whole life is centered around cars since we have a car stereo wholesale/retail business, but i am currently concentrated on school working to earn my bachelors in business admin.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55
Originally Posted by vtecsti
The red one with gray stripes?

no...silver with gray stripes.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:02 PM

2005 C55
Well guys I got the car for $24,500,black/black with every option I can think of plus a lorenzo body package and lorenzo 20 inch rims and two emblems in the front. I dont mind the body kit, the rims will get replaced so if anyone wants to trade for stocks lets make a deal, and I will have to remove one of the front emblems since it has the clk style and the stock one on. 20 inch wheels is not my taste for a AMG but I was impressed on how it drove with them on, no rubbing issues. Alot better than my E500 with 20's, still cant wait to put some stock or lighter 19's on to see the performance difference. It's a great car, barely drove it yesterday, hopefully today is a better day the the C55!
Old 09-18-2010, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
so how bout some pix eh

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Would you pay 29k for a 2005 C55 with 11,000 miles?