Clicking noise from rear (axle?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 02:14 PM
pww

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'05 C55 AMG
Clicking noise from rear (axle?)

My car was sitting in a garage for three weeks, I went to put a new set of wheels on, and as I was backing out, I heard a clicking noise that grew more rapid as I sped up. I took the wheels off, put them back on, same thing. Took the new wheels off (thought maybe it was them or the spacers), put the old wheels on and.. same thing. Any thoughts?? The noise was coming clearly from behind the driver side rear wheel, and after putting the old wheels on it started up on the other side, behind the passenger rear wheel
Old 09-18-2010, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Check the differential for leaks and change the fluid. Did you use aftermarket wheel bolts? Could be that they are too long and touching some thing. Check to see if any thing is touching, could be some thing as simple as the shielding got pushed back and touches some thing while you are moving. Hope that helps
Old 09-18-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 C55
Did you check the torque to ensure that you have the bolts on properly?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
Sounds like your lug nuts are too long, the noise is them hitting the parking brake.. Usually happens when you buy aftermarket wheels and they provide you with lugs nuts.. You said you put your old wheels back on and it kept doing it, did you use the oem lug nuts or did you use the same ones they gave you..???
Old 09-19-2010, 01:06 PM
pww

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by saer1one
Sounds like your lug nuts are too long, the noise is them hitting the parking brake.. Usually happens when you buy aftermarket wheels and they provide you with lugs nuts.. You said you put your old wheels back on and it kept doing it, did you use the oem lug nuts or did you use the same ones they gave you..???

Thanks for all the replies guys.

The bolts I used were longer, but that was to adjust for the spacer width. When I put the old wheels back on, I used the stock lugs, so it shouldn't be the bolts hitting anything. I didn't see anything that could be hitting (like the shielding) but I'm going to check again and see if anything seems to be hitting.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:42 AM

c32 amg
Had the same problem and it was the lugs being too long, got shorter lugs and the clicking went away, clicking is no good coming from the rear, that is your lug bolts hitting your parking brake drum assembly inside the rear discs. Do not drive it like this, it will damage your parking brake.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:07 AM
pww

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Hawaii C32
Had the same problem and it was the lugs being too long, got shorter lugs and the clicking went away, clicking is no good coming from the rear, that is your lug bolts hitting your parking brake drum assembly inside the rear discs. Do not drive it like this, it will damage your parking brake.
But the noise kept coming when I put the old wheels on with the stock wheels? Would this mean that the parking brake is already damaged so its still making the noise after I put the long bolts on?

My problem is, although they are longer bolts, they are longer only to adjust for the spacers?
Old 09-22-2010, 02:19 AM

c32 amg
Best thing to do is to remove the rear disc and inspect the parking brake assembly and check for damage
Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 PM

2002 C32 AMG
I just went through this problem on my C32 AMG and oh boy did I feel like an idiot! The new wheels I put on at the center where a deeper wheel then factory and when I put the factory lugs on they were too long. They went through the disc into the emergency brake assembly and mangled the whole assembly hurts!!! So as stated above, check your parking brake assembley.