C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Two lower ball joints - wtf

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
Two lower ball joints - wtf

So I have noticed a light knock/clunking noise when driving slowly down a rough road, parking lot, etc. I looked around on the board a bit and found that lower ball joints and sway bar links are a common problem. I dropped down today and looked under the car and was suprised to see two lower ball joints/lower control arms. I have never seen that setup. I guess I should replace both lowers. Sway bar links looked good.

I guess I don't really have a question...just thinking out loud here.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:12 PM

02 CLK430
There is a lower ball joint and then there is the torque arm joint that attatches to the knuckle/spindle as well. The lower ball joint is the one that connects to the lower control arm (the arm the shock mounts too). The torque arm joint is the one that is comming from the front of the car and mounting to the spindle (joint is also appears to be upside down, as in the nut that secures it is on the bottom instead of the top). Is it more of a clunk type noise or more of a squeak type noise? Does it happen more so on speed bumps and when braking? If so it may be the torque strut joints or just the torque strut bushings. How do the torque strut bushings look?
Old 10-05-2010, 10:22 PM

C32
It isnt a squeak - more of a clunk. Bushings look good as far as I can tell.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:25 PM

C32
The best way to duplicate the noise is to drive at idle speed through the gravel parking parking lot.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:32 PM

02 CLK430
You can check the ball joint by jacking the vehicle up and place on jack stands. While the car is up, get under the car and press upward on the wheel/tire. If you feel/see movement, the ball joints needs to be replaced.