Coolant loss going crasy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 AMG
Coolant loss going crasy

Hi

Had my valeo radiator, gearbox and SC intercooler replaced. Radiator was leaking coolant to gearbox so they replaced it with a refurbished gearbox. Intercooler showed positive leak after mechanic pulled one of the expansion boxes with AMG logo on them. Both really expensive repairs. Problem is car still keeps loosing coolant. My wallet is getting super thin and its driving me crasy.

One thing i noticed is that the coolant hoses going in and out of radiator are soft. Had a bmw before and hoses where very hard when pressure was up.. Also im hearing some small grinding when engine is cold in front of engine, like a bad bearing. Waterpump? Car did not show positive on pressure test, nor does the temprature change on engine, rock solid 90 degree celsius. No white smoke from tailpipe when warm. Car drives normal. After about 600-700 miles the dash keeps warning, check coolant, tank is almost empty and i have to top it up. Its been ongoing for 6 months and im getting clueless what to do next. Mechanics are also clueless since pressure test dont show any leaks.

Anybody have any clue or suggestion on what to do next.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:28 PM

2002 C32 AMG
coolant in the oil?

Could be leaking through head gasket into oil, or through intake manifold gasket into oil (don't know if this engine has passages in the intake to warm charge air on cold days). I have had coolant leak into the oil through the head gasket on another engine design. Kept slowly losing coolant and couldn't tell where it was going. Didn't see any effect on the oil until the leak went crazy and I had overheat and oil that looked like chocolate milk overnight. New head gasket and an oil flush and it was all fixed.

Also, I have had coolant leak between intake and head that pooled on the intake and boiled off. Would smell but couldn't see an active leak - until it started pissing like a race horse one day.

Always an adventure.

Good luck.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:40 PM

2003 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 1stmeez
Could be leaking through head gasket into oil, or through intake manifold gasket into oil (don't know if this engine has passages in the intake to warm charge air on cold days). I have had coolant leak into the oil through the head gasket on another engine design. Kept slowly losing coolant and couldn't tell where it was going. Didn't see any effect on the oil until the leak went crazy and I had overheat and oil that looked like chocolate milk overnight. New head gasket and an oil flush and it was all fixed.

Also, I have had coolant leak between intake and head that pooled on the intake and boiled off. Would smell but couldn't see an active leak - until it started pissing like a race horse one day.

Always an adventure.

Good luck.
That sucks man. I also read in some papers recently that the auxillary pump is not working properly. I just had the understanding that this pump was used for residual heat on cold winter days to use engine heat to warm it up. Although it seems this pump is also used to cool engine down when car is turned off. I really hope this has not damaged my car. One thing to start is to replace the auxillary pump and if problem is still there its probably a warped head or a blown gasket. I have soon replaced half the car, this is killing me.