C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Rear Sway Bar Bushings?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C32 AMG
Question Rear Sway Bar Bushings?

Anyone know where I can get a set of rear sway bar bushings for my car? What size is the stock rear sway bar? I am trying to get rid of my squeak in the rear suspension. I just replaced the sway bar endlinks with MOOG parts this weekend, but the squeak is still there. Thanks for any help!
Old 10-27-2010, 03:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
03 g35 coupe...........02 c32 Sold
you can try regreasing the rear sway bar brushings.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Just use spray lube on all the bushings one at a time until the noise stops. Then you know which one it is and if the noise returns you can either lube it better or replace that one.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:31 PM

2004 C32 AMG
These definitely need to be replaced. They are dry and cracking. Re-greasing them only works for a day or two at most. The bushings should be cheap <$5 each if I could just find them. I found a part#, but I can't find anyone who sells them. I guess I am going to have to go to Mercedes for these.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:54 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Did this a few years ago with poyurethane bushings which, BTW, are much harder and provide better response: get a tube or 2 of dry graphite lubricant. Any car place or hardware store has the stuff. loosen the fittings, and jam a screwdriver between the bushing and the metal of the swaybar so that the screwdriver creates a void between the rubber and metal. put the tip of the graphite tube in the void and dump a big pile of graphite into the void. Pull out the screwdrive leaving the graphite trapped between, and tighten the fittings and repeat on the other fittings. Go for a drive over a bumpy road so the movement causes the graphite to work in all the way around the sway bar.

enjoy!

This eliminated wicked loud squeaking noise when I first put the poly bushings in a past car, and I drove it for about 4 years after with no more squeaks.

If you can't find bushings, call a sway bar company. they have the sizes and configurations for all cars made, and they can make some polyurethane or rubber parts for you and send them out. I bought mine about 20 years ago from a sway bar factory in West Palm Beach FL when I lived there. The guy made them up for me while I waited for about $30. Handling is great with polyurethane - no give at all, but they did squeak like crazy before the graphite treatment.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:00 PM

2004 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 1stmeez
Did this a few years ago with poyurethane bushings which, BTW, are much harder and provide better response: get a tube or 2 of dry graphite lubricant. Any car place or hardware store has the stuff. loosen the fittings, and jam a screwdriver between the bushing and the metal of the swaybar so that the screwdriver creates a void between the rubber and metal. put the tip of the graphite tube in the void and dump a big pile of graphite into the void. Pull out the screwdrive leaving the graphite trapped between, and tighten the fittings and repeat on the other fittings. Go for a drive over a bumpy road so the movement causes the graphite to work in all the way around the sway bar.

enjoy!

This eliminated wicked loud squeaking noise when I first put the poly bushings in a past car, and I drove it for about 4 years after with no more squeaks.

If you can't find bushings, call a sway bar company. they have the sizes and configurations for all cars made, and they can make some polyurethane or rubber parts for you and send them out. I bought mine about 20 years ago from a sway bar factory in West Palm Beach FL when I lived there. The guy made them up for me while I waited for about $30. Handling is great with polyurethane - no give at all, but they did squeak like crazy before the graphite treatment.
Thanks. I was thinking about going with the Energy Suspension/Prothane universal fit ones. I have been researching and I have found that the rear sway bar is 16mm. Can anyone verify this? I know people have had to do this on their cars already. Rubber wears out quickly.