C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Brake afficionados: check this rear caliper out....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Brake afficionados: check this rear caliper out....

For those of you who love brakes and their different combinations and calculations (I always have), you'll probably find this pretty interesting.

While cruising the forums, I noticed this rear caliper on a 2006 S65:

(Busa196 I hope you don't mind me using your picture, if you do let me know and I'll take it down. Btw, you car is incredibly awesome)

Which made me start researching, when I found this:

Why lookie there! It's a mini-me rear version of our front caliper. Unfortunately the piston bores are HUGE (30/32mm vs. the standard E/CL/CLS/S/SL AMG bores of 28/30mm vs. the C/CLK/SLK bores of 26/28mm [which have a similar area to our 2 piston 42mm, which is why the CLK/SLK swap works]). These huge bores mean that it won't work with our master cylinders (at least, nicely). Also, all I can find is that the only car this ever came on was the 2006 S65, didn't even come on the CL65, and I still don't know why the increased the bore size for only this year and model.

Regardless, now that we know that the casting exists I'm going to see if I can find some smaller bore ones, but I just wanted to say that sure enough this 4-torx bolt style caliper does come in a smaller size.....
Old 11-07-2010, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by Viper98912
For those of you who love brakes and their different combinations and calculations (I always have), you'll probably find this pretty interesting.

While cruising the forums, I noticed this rear caliper on a 2006 S65:

(Busa196 I hope you don't mind me using your picture, if you do let me know and I'll take it down. Btw, you car is incredibly awesome)

Which made me start researching, when I found this:

Why lookie there! It's a mini-me rear version of our front caliper. Unfortunately the piston bores are HUGE (30/32mm vs. the standard E/CL/CLS/S/SL AMG bores of 28/30mm vs. the C/CLK/SLK bores of 26/28mm [which have a similar area to our 2 piston 42mm, which is why the CLK/SLK swap works]). These huge bores mean that it won't work with our master cylinders (at least, nicely). Also, all I can find is that the only car this ever came on was the 2006 S65, didn't even come on the CL65, and I still don't know why the increased the bore size for only this year and model.

Regardless, now that we know that the casting exists I'm going to see if I can find some smaller bore ones, but I just wanted to say that sure enough this 4-torx bolt style caliper does come in a smaller size.....

i am also very fascinated with the ratio of AMG brake solutions on different cars because they rarely use the same brakes on different AMG models! but really though, every time i pull up to a stoplight and people look to their left or right, their eyes are drawn to my front calipers because they are so nice, even though they're stock. i've always wanted to upgrade the way my rear calipers look (performance wise they're fine) but i can't find just a simple bolt on piece
Old 11-07-2010, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c32 AMG 2012 c250 Coupe
Nice find.. We def need the stopping power, especially after reading gt4awd's thread.. A must have..
Old 11-08-2010, 08:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
Someone please make this happen, I want to change my rear calipers out so bad.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Interesting find. Almost certain Brembo finds it remunerative to supply MB/AMG with many of its calipers.
Like michael kuzni, I also size up the brake hardware of those motoring alongside.

Don’t know if those are a straight swap onto our existing upright. Obviously the rotor diameter is a bit more generous.
The R171’s 030-option rear brakes are a direct bolt-on, save for minor dust shield trimming:

photos credit Harry Madan
Old 11-11-2010, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by splinter
Interesting find. Almost certain Brembo finds it remunerative to supply MB/AMG with many of its calipers.
Like michael kuzni, I also size up the brake hardware of those motoring alongside.

Don’t know if those are a straight swap onto our existing upright. Obviously the rotor diameter is a bit more generous.
The R171’s 030-option rear brakes are a direct bolt-on, save for minor dust shield trimming:

photos credit Harry Madan

they're beautiful! yenno i was just on the s65 threads and saw the comment you posted about the rear brakes to that guy that ran 11.8 in the s65. these things look amazing, how hard was the install and how long? any major differences?