C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

New Exhaust System?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche Turbo Stage 4, Cayenne S ... gone C43, C32, ML55 & Ducati 999.
bverotti......I am waiting for your reactions and comments of the MKB exhaust kit.
Thanks!
Old 05-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by E55JAY
Ben, will you be designing something for the 211 E55?
We have the spot for the 2nd w211 E55 coming into a local dealer. The plan is to sell this spot/car to a customer and use the car for a quick development and deliver a full car (Kleemann, headers, etc.).
Old 05-07-2003, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Mach430
We have the spot for the 2nd w211 E55 coming into a local dealer. The plan is to sell this spot/car to a customer and use the car for a quick development and deliver a full car (Kleemann, headers, etc.).
That Ben sounds Awesome!!
Old 05-09-2003, 01:05 PM

bverotti......please, reactions and comments!!
Thanks
Old 05-09-2003, 05:33 PM

C32
Ok here are the first impressions after driving it about 100 KM.
The MB mech that did they installation said it was not an easy job. They had to cut and weld and make adjustments to fix the entire thing. Both headers and cats have been installed and the resonater has not been removed (not mandatory according to MBK).
First the bad news > as you can tell from the pic the metal cats are larger than the original cats and therefore hang lower. There is nothing that can resolve this due to lack of space. It means I have to be very carefull when going over traffic bumps. It is annoying but hey most of the time we drive on normal roads and all is OK. I will take a measurement tommorow to see how much room is left underneath the cat.

The rest is all good news.
The sound is just a little deeper eventhough the resonator is still in place. At WOT there is about 20% increase in sound. It sounds very different from to stock at WOT. It is much more like a sports car like with that increadible metal flavor to it.
In terms of power their is definately a gain, especially in the high revs. My butt dyno tells me at least 20 HP but lets wait for the real numbers. Howver the increase in power is nothing like what I experienced after installing the ODPS kit. It did not give me that whooh feeling. Maybe the ECU needs some more adjusting before all the new power gets released. So I am gonna drive it around for another week or so before going for a new Dyno.
Stock weels are really taken a beating now and are actually loosing too much grip during acceleration from a start. ESP gets a lot of work these days haha.
Next > ECU tuning

@Vadim :
I noticed that the cars temp goes up to 95 Celcius at stop and go heavy traffic. When I drive normally (not traffic jam) temp are +- 85 C. Is this normal ? Ps > enviroment temp the last couple of days was about 16 C. Thx, Bart.

Old 05-09-2003, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
Bart, I am glad you got the headers on. The cats do hang too low. I am surprised MKB could not do anything about it. On a lowered car it will be a problem.

We have done some more testing with an H-pipe that did not have any cats and saw another 14HP (330HP). However, this setup is not legal in US. We just wanted to see how much restriction was due to factory catalytic converters. My guess your gains with headers will be around this number.

As far as your coolant temperature, it is a bit high. Did it start after the header install?
Old 05-09-2003, 08:19 PM

Smile

Bart
It's a good move !
Coolant temp arised after ODPS+I/C as I posted before
ODPS users here all downset the fan start temp -5 C & keep coolant temp < 91 C always.(before the reset I read 101 C)
Old 05-09-2003, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by vadim@evosport
Bart, I am glad you got the headers on. The cats do hang too low. I am surprised MKB could not do anything about it. On a lowered car it will be a problem.

We have done some more testing with an H-pipe that did not have any cats and saw another 14HP (330HP). However, this setup is not legal in US. We just wanted to see how much restriction was due to factory catalytic converters. My guess your gains with headers will be around this number.

As far as your coolant temperature, it is a bit high. Did it start after the header install?
Vadim, did you try to leave the stock cats, and just change the OEM downpipes for a bigger diameter?
Anyway, my next step is up-grade the exhaust, and I am really interested of every development, specially yours....I really like the EVO headers.
Thanks! Bart
Bye

(PD) Next week I will dyno my new set-up, and Vadim I will send you my DynoJet files.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:29 AM

C32
@Vadim
I will visit MKB in Stuttgart on my next trip to Munich. They will have a look at it and hopefully lift it a bit, even if its a few cm.
I never had a good look at the temp before installing header or even odps so I dont really have a reference.

@Shine.
Can you tell me how the -5 degree Celcius fan is done ? Is this something that can be set in the ECU or is it a mechanical change ?
Old 05-10-2003, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG
Shine: Stock pipes at catalytic converter inlet are 2.25'', we fabricated 2.5'' down pipes without any cats. We welded four oxygen sensor bungs in the stock location, so DME was happy.

Bart: I am not sure why your car runs hotter. Of all of the installes we have done in US, they all ran the same. Shine mentioned that his dealer set his cooling "fan on" temperature lower and now his runs OK. I am thinking perhaps there is a difference in European and Asian cars when it comes to cooling strategy.

Good Luck at MKB.
Old 05-10-2003, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by vadim@evosport
Shine: Stock pipes at catalytic converter inlet are 2.25'', we fabricated 2.5'' down pipes without any cats. We welded four oxygen sensor bungs in the stock location, so DME was happy.
Vadim, It was my question ;nevertheless, I do not like the idea of remove the stock cats because you will loss back pressure. My point is to optimize the extra flow of exhaust gases that the EVOheaders are throwing inside of the stock 2.25" stock pipes. Thus, I believe if you leave the stock cats and just increase the down pipes to 2.5", as you mentioned, flow will increase at this region of the exhaust and the back pressure as well too....
Old 05-10-2003, 09:38 PM

Smile

Vadim , you maybe right since we've never compared the difference before.

Bart :
Here comes the procedure :
ME-SFI -> Control unit adaptations -> setting of correction programming -> electric suction fan for engine or air conditioning
Press F5 to cut the fan start temp from default.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:12 PM

2006 SLK 55 AMG
bverotti

What happened with the visit to MKB? Did they help with the "low" pipes?

jmc
Old 06-01-2003, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
His car is still there and he is on vacation as far as I know!

Thanks

Brad