C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Brake Pads Shifting between Drive and Reverse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C55
Brake Pads Shifting between Drive and Reverse

I've had this problem for a while and took the car in. The car basically clunks on both sides when changing applying the brakes after changing direction. The garage said there was nothing wrong that they could find. I put the car on jackstands and kept spinning the wheel and having my wife hit the brakes. I could see the tabs on the pads shifting. So I took the brakes apart tonight and found that the pads are somewhat floating inside the caliper. Basically a small gap about or less than 1/16" of an inch.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. I know the pin is missing in the pic I had it out.

Is there some kind of spacer that I should put in there. The previous owner said he just recently replaced these before selling. I believe it because they have a bunch of pad left. Did he not do something right/buy the right pad?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by BrandonS; 12-13-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
Wink

Originally Posted by BrandonS
I've had this problem for a while and took the car in. The car basically clunks on both sides when changing applying the brakes after changing direction. The garage said there was nothing wrong that they could find. I put the car on jackstands and kept spinning the wheel and having my wife hit the brakes. I could see the tabs on the pads shifting. So I took the brakes apart tonight and found that the pads are somewhat floating inside the caliper. Basically a small gap about or less than 1/16" of an inch.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. I know the pin is missing in the pic I had it out.

Is there some kind of spacer that I should put in there. The previous owner said he just recently replaced these before selling. I believe it because they have a bunch of pad left. Did he not do something right/buy the right pad?

Thanks for any help.
Wow, that's a really great pic! It's looks really great. You obviously didn't use your phone like most do. I'd say just put new pads on. It looks like the brake pad backing has somehow compacted. You can see how the edge of the pad looks like someone smashed it with a hammer. That's not what it should look like. It also looks like the pad is rounded, but i think that's just the shadow. Either way, I would totally put this pic on my wall. But thats just me...
Old 12-13-2010, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Are these Akebono Pads
Do a search on brake pads clicking and youll see why
go back to stocks
Old 12-14-2010, 12:04 AM

'05 C55
Thanks guys. I'll start researching pads then. Maybe some EBC's or Hawks if they make them. Are the stock ones decent for tracking?

Last edited by BrandonS; 12-14-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:00 AM

'05 C55
Any word on if you can bend that metal end cap out slightly on each end to keep them from shifting? I may try this.