C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

P0341, need to replace enginge wiring harness?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB C32 AMG
P0341, need to replace enginge wiring harness?

Hi guys,

Car just stalled the other day at a traffic light with no warning and could not start it back up. So I took it to the closest shop and they replaced the crankshaft positioning sensor based on the CEL and the car would start fine. However, when the car warms up when you shut it off and try to start it back on, it won't start. I'd have to wait 30min or so until the car cools off to start it back on at which point the CEL comes back on with P0341 (camshaft positioning sensor). So this time I took it to the dealer and they replaced the camshaft positioning sensor and determined that the CPS is fine. They ran the diagnosis and determined that there's a short in the wiring harness so they recommend to replace the engine wiring harness..

Labor: $905.85
Parts: $786.26

Total: $1833.83 with tax

I just came from my local mechanic and he doubts it's the wiring harness but he'll check out the car next week.

So was wondering if anyone else went through similar problems or have any thoughts?

Also, where is a good place to by the wiring harness from in case it needs to be replaced?

Funny thing is the car starts fine now when it's warm but I figure it's just a matter of time before it starts acting up again.

Here's the dealer's diagnosis..

"R/T VERIFIED INTERMITTEN NO START PERFORM SHORT TEST NOTED CODES FROM CAM SENSOR TEST FIT NEW SENSOR AND NOTED SAME CONDITION REVIEW WIRING AND TEST PIN 2 HAS 3V PRESENT TEST PINS 1 AND 2 NOTED NO VOLTAGE PRESENT PERFORMED OHMS TEST PIN 1 TO GROUND OK .1 OHM TO GROUND TEST POWER SIDE OPEN R.R AND INSPECTED FRONT SAM TEST TO PIN 3 FOUND OPEN. TECH ATTEMPTED TO LOCATE OPEN IN WIRING REMOVED ENGINE COVER AND NOTED SILICON ON AIR TUBE AND SLIDE SEAL NOT APPROVED BY MB NEED TO R/R BLOWER AND INTAKE MANIFOLD."

Thanks!

Btw this is for a '02 C32... 176K miles on that puppy
Old 01-19-2011, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB C32 AMG
Here's an update for those that might run into a similar issue and don't want to get ripped off by the dealer... my local mechanic traced the wires from the camshaft positioning sensor to the ECU and found some bad wires and replaced them so there's no need to replace your entire engine wiring harness. Just charged me 4hrs labor ($400) which sounds alot better then the dealer's $2K. No error codes, car runs just fine.