C55 Harmon Kardon Aux input?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 AM

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Multiple
C55 Harmon Kardon Aux input?

Hey guys,

About to pick up a C55 very shortly here and have been researching the forum extensively on how to add bluetooth. I have ruled out spending gazillion dollars doing the factory bluetooth. Fully aware that the fiber optic setup in mercs rules out just swapping the head unit without redoing the amp, etc. The specific car I am about to pickup is an 05, has the Logic7 HK stereo, no nav, 6 CD magazine.

I was browsing skymall the other day and saw an ad for this:
http://www.scosche.com/consumer-tech/product/2049
Figured for $60 bucks, it's worth a shot. My question is if there is an aux input in the factory HK system? If yes, where is it? Anyone tried this?
Old 01-25-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Factory Bluetooth Doesn't Have to Be a Gazillion Dollars

It sounds like you've done your research, so i'll bite. I can only address your question regarding bluetooth. While the device you are looking at may work, those types of products are often times more gimmicky than they are substantive. I tend to avoid low-end in-car electronics that promise "full synchronization". If it seems to good to be true, it usually is.

That being said, I ruled out doing the OEM bluetooth install at first myself after buying my car. However, after waiting it out for nine months and thanks to fellow users here who did the install themselves and some fairly diligent digging I did for parts websites that had the various parts I needed, I was able to obtain everything needed for the OEM bluetooth install for about $364. I was of the school that I either wanted the OEM bluetooth set up with full integration (use of steering wheel buttons and pre-installed microphone) or I didn't want anything, but I definitely didn't want to break the bank.

Don't be misled by fellow C55 owners who have posted that they took their call to the stealership for the bluetooth install and paid anywhere from $1000 to $1400. Some of those owners had their bluetooth installed a year or more ago when the parts weren't as cheap, or some of them may have been too lazy (and had the cash) or didn't have the time to do it themselves.

Check out this thread for more information on the install and the part numbers: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ml#post4479867

Beyond the Vehicle Core and Vehicle Completer kits listed in the above thread, you will also need the Bluetooth module which you can buy on eBay for about $130.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Multiple
Originally Posted by mrobinso
It sounds like you've done your research, so i'll bite. I can only address your question regarding bluetooth. While the device you are looking at may work, those types of products are often times more gimmicky than they are substantive. I tend to avoid low-end in-car electronics that promise "full synchronization". If it seems to good to be true, it usually is.

That being said, I ruled out doing the OEM bluetooth install at first myself after buying my car. However, after waiting it out for nine months and thanks to fellow users here who did the install themselves and some fairly diligent digging I did for parts websites that had the various parts I needed, I was able to obtain everything needed for the OEM bluetooth install for about $364. I was of the school that I either wanted the OEM bluetooth set up with full integration (use of steering wheel buttons and pre-installed microphone) or I didn't want anything, but I definitely didn't want to break the bank.

Don't be misled by fellow C55 owners who have posted that they took their call to the stealership for the bluetooth install and paid anywhere from $1000 to $1400. Some of those owners had their bluetooth installed a year or more ago when the parts weren't as cheap, or some of them may have been too lazy (and had the cash) or didn't have the time to do it themselves.

Check out this thread for more information on the install and the part numbers: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...ml#post4479867

Beyond the Vehicle Core and Vehicle Completer kits listed in the above thread, you will also need the Bluetooth module which you can buy on eBay for about $130.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate your input. I am not picky about steering wheel controls or address book display/transfer. I can lookup/initiate/end calls from my blackberry faster than any in-car control mechanism. Just looking for fairly seamless playback via car speakers, that's all. Regardless of which setup I use, I will be wiring in an external mic somewhere near the driver for better voice pickup.

I have done many stereo installs myself and quite proficient with tools and working on the car in general. I did go through the factory BT installation thread and agree that $350-$400 is not bad. I may still do that, but just wondering if there was a painless "gimmick" that might do the job for me.

Any idea if there an aux input and where it might be? Behind the factory head unit? Dash? Glovebox?

Last edited by xxaarraa; 01-25-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Any idea if there an aux input and where it might be? Behind the factory head unit? Dash? Glovebox?
Sorry I could have addressed this part of your question as well, however, I do have to give you a hard time for not using the "search" function for this as there are countless threads on this very topic.

That being said, the aux input is in the glove compartment on the right side. It was an option that it appears hardly any C55 "original" owners opted for when they took delivery of their vehicles. I know I was the third gen owner of my C55 and the C55 aux input was not installed. You simply need to buy the cord to connect the pre-installed wiring from the passenger side door sill to the glove box, pop out the plastic cap that covers the aux input, place the wiring aux output inside the newly created hole, buy a two-way headphone jack cord, and you are good to go. Use search for details.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I personally find that my $20 bluetooth earpiece that I take everywhere with me without needing to resync or worry about when leaving the car beats any in-car bluetooth that I pay more for.

Also, there is a 3.5mm jack as an aux input, but not for bluetooth, it would be for ipod connection (that's not controlled by the steering wheel). Theres a $40 cable for it you can buy from MB and the connector is in the passenger side door sill. The original placement is to put it in the glove compartment, but then you need to keep it open when you have it plugged in (whoever thought of that idea was an idiot). With some extension cables you can get innovative and put it closer to you hidden under the dash and carpet. There is a $300 or so ipod specific cable that controls your ipod if you want to go the expensive way. Search for the aux input thread in the W203 forum.