C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

So who owns a Crossfire in addition to your C32/C55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Crossfire MB 5.0L M113 V8 6spd, 05 Bagged SRT6w/55K AMG V8 ,2016 C300 Sport
Get a Crossfire! You will love it! I have a Limited and an SRT6
Old 02-13-2011, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by Quicktwinturbo
Rx7 is a bit unforgiving.. Handles like a dream but then, you have to really know the car and take good care of it.. Otherwise, you'll spend a lot of money rebuilding the engine.. (Owned a moded 7 for 8 years)

S2000, another great, affordable responsive car. Reliable and fun to drive. Not a fast car and you have to rev the f out of the engine to get all the hp.. down-shifting is bit tricky..
+1, not exactly affordable since when I got mine, Honda was in no mood to negotiate and didn't till the end in 09. If I were looking, I'd get the AP2 (F22C1). YOU DO have to rev them like a bike though!!
Old 02-13-2011, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by mrobinso
Viper, having owned a Crossfire "Limited" with the 6-speed manual I can certainly vouch for the vehicle. I think for a budget sports car, especially if you are keen to Mercedes, the SRT-6 is certainly a great choice. I cannot believe how cheap they are right now. That being said, and this might already have been mentioned, the SRT-6 only came with the 5-speed autostick that our C55s employ. The Limited and Base models (225hp 3.2L V6) were the only Crossfires that came with a manual transmission. However, coming from the C55, I don't think you would be satisfied with anything other than the SRT-6. The Limited model is vastly underpowered for its weight, about 3200 lbs.

If you ever feel like picking my brain, feel free to PM me. I can talk for hours about my old Crossfire.
In this second car, a manual trans is important to me, and is a dealbreaker. Coming from the C55, even if the SRT6 did come with a stick, I would probably not pay the premium for it. No need in having to similar engines/cars compete against one another.

Right now the price of these cars is so cheap, that I definitely think it's what I'm going to be buying in the future. Plus it's a Benz, and I like Benz, so what else could there be?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:05 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally Posted by moosejaw
Lets try this again.
Two seat sports car with manual.... = FD3S
except you can't find a FD in good condition where as the S2k are tons out there.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by FrankW
except you can't find a FD in good condition where as the S2k are tons out there.
True, and S2000 is more easier on the DIY mechanic. My neighbor has one for sale which also has the comptech supercharger
Old 02-13-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 Chevy Suburban, 2017 GLS450 4MATIC, 1993 Chevy Corvette
Originally Posted by Viper98912
In this second car, a manual trans is important to me, and is a dealbreaker. Coming from the C55, even if the SRT6 did come with a stick, I would probably not pay the premium for it. No need in having to similar engines/cars compete against one another.

Right now the price of these cars is so cheap, that I definitely think it's what I'm going to be buying in the future. Plus it's a Benz, and I like Benz, so what else could there be?
I have test driven an SRT-6 (I thought about upgrading to the SRT prior to just deciding to get what I really wanted, which was a C55). If this is going to be a budget secondary sports car for weekend driving, I am sure you will enjoy a Limited Crossfire with the 6-speed manual trans. I think that personally after driving the C55 as a daily driver and virtually being the fastest car on the road at all times, I would have a hard time "downgrading" to the much slower Limited Crossfire with 225 hp. Now I know the driving experience is not only relegated to how much horse power you are putting down, but the Crossfire is just soo heavy. The manual transmission does help you glean more power and overall enjoyment from the 3.2L NA V6. That being said, its a 7.0 second to 60mph vehicle and you aren't going to be blowing anyone off the red light while driving it. If that isn't your intent, I would say go for it! Overall, the Crossfire is a extremely reliable car with only a few quirks (no spare tire, expensive rear tires (255/40/19), crankshaft position sensor has a tendency to go bad, soft paint (same as on other Mercedes), general interior rattles due to low quality interior plastics, rear alignment out of whack - to name a few), but no major design flaws. The main thing to look for when checking out potential Crossfires is to check the rear tires for uneven wear, a clear sign of poor alignment. I have noticed on many Crossfires I see on the road the tires tilt outwards due to the alignment getting off.

Last edited by mrobinso; 02-14-2011 at 08:40 AM.