Front Main Seal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Front Main Seal

So I think I may have a leak from my front main seal other wise known as front crankshaft radial seal. I have already replaced the seals in my oil cooler, but it looks like there may be a very small seepage still coming from the oil cooler. I kind of feel that oil is seeping from the bottom of the oil filter tube, but I can't see how it's doing it. I left some paper around the area to see if any thing substantial was leaking, but it was little to nothing. So I think it's my front main seal. I installed a renntech pulley over 20k miles ago, but I remember seeing a bit of oil at the tip of the bolt that came out of the original pulley. I made sure to install a new bolt with the pulley and torque to the right specs. I wonder if that had any thing to do with it.

I've been able to look at WIS for the instructions on how to install the front main seal and it seems as easy as installing a crank pulley. To start the job, you need to remove your crank pulley. Take off the belt and then use the special tool to hold the crank pulley while you take the bolt off. Once you get the crank off, you can get to the seal. WIS advises to take off the seal by prying it out with a screw driver. I'm kind of worried that it's going to be a pain in the *** to remove with a screw driver and I might scratch some thing. After you remove the seal, check the area for damage. Next you need a special tool that pushes the seal in to place. Apparently the tool can be had for $90.85 from parts.com and I think the seal cost $10. You slip the seal on the tool and line the tool up with the feather key and press it in. You may need to hammer it on until you are able to get the crank bolt on to press it the rest of the way in. All you need to do is tighten until it tightens no more. Take off the bolt and the tool and then you just reinstall the crank pulley and belt and you're done.

Sounds way too easy. Has anyone had experience with having to do this job? If it is this easy, I would recommend all the high mileage c32's that are having new crank pulleys put on to do this as well to avoid having the dreaded oil leak. I mean it looks like it only cost $100 to do and you already have most of the work done. I could be wrong though, I'll probably be doing this job soon.

I have seepage from my rear main seal, pinion seal in the rear axle, side seals in the rear axle, and possibly the oil cooler again. Luckily they are not leaking like my front main seal. So this will be my next project. Then maybe I can move on to replacing the seals in my rear axle or I might have to leave that to a professional. Removing the bolt for the pinion seal is suppose to be tough, because of the torque required to remove it.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0 LS2 - Blue
Replaced front seal around 95k miles along with a lot of other stuff at dealership.. Yes, it should be easy to pry out the old seal, and install the new one. Timing cover is also a good one to check.