Have Code3; want more power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by DerHammer
My car didn't come with the stock pulley , I wish it did, it would be really easy to sell the code 3 pulley, return to stock, and order the 185 kit off of eurocharged.com I understand that the 185 pulley vs code 3 (both tuned) seems to be about 30 whp from other threads. If that doesn't make a big difference in my 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, I may just get the Jerry tune, heat exchanger, and IC separation kit and stick with my code 3. I read somewhere that an 02 c32 with these mods dynoed at 354 whp which is pretty respectable. Gonna try to contact the seller of my vehicle about the oem pulley and keep searching for one online in the meantime; I'm still undecided about which route to take, but I'm sure either way I'll be pretty happy, I love this car

I've driven all of the above (Code 3, stacked, 185 etc etc). I currently run a Code 3, Jerry tune and all cooling mods except for cryo. My car runs consistent mid-high 12s in 70 degree weather. I do not believe that the difference between the Code 3 alone and the 185 alone is 30 hp. Maybe 10-15 MAX. A Code 3 stacked with a 178 or 181 will outboost a 185 crank but Turkel is correct, you'll be getting CELs all day long and fuel delivery is an issue.

If you're looking for reliability, no bearing issues, stick with the Code 3, get the latest Jerry Tune, some cooling mods (HE, Johnson, cool can, phenolics) and you're good to go. OR , you can get a tune and 185 with the PSK and run about the same as the Code 3 (or a lil better). 6 to one, half-dozen to another to me. Dont forget about a Quaife too for about $1000.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
you can get a tune and 185 with the PSK and run about the same as the Code 3 (or a lil better).
"Or a lil better"? Hands down it's "better" in regards to all things performance related. The debate lies in the added cost/performance/benefit ratio....
Old 03-09-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I currently run a Code3 and a friend of mine runs a 185 and we're almost dead even in the 1/4 every time
Old 03-09-2011, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
"Or a lil better"? Hands down it's "better" in regards to all things performance related. The debate lies in the added cost/performance/benefit ratio....
Look at DragTimes..................the best run was with a 185 and spray. I think Lenin at # 3 is on a 185. When I say a lil better, when we all have raced at various times at Morocco (US 41) in our 5 C32s, no one was more than a car length ahead of the other and this included Jakes car and Jerry's car.(both had spray at a 50 shot ZEX) C32USED has yet to break into the 12s and he's running a 185 and Jerry Tune?? There's so many variables that go into this , including tires, skinnies, track prep, DAs, Quaife etc that its really not fair to do a dyno comparison. I say that the ETs, QTR speed and top speed are the real telling indicators of the 185 versus the C3. I love the power of the 185 and ran one for a while. I just didn't like it "over-driving" everything attached to the serpentine. I sold mine when I got the C3. Not a comment, just MY choice. I don't think there's a single 185 guy out there who hasn't thrown a CEL. I never have as a result of the Code 3.

As far as cost benefit, I only paid $400 for an original Code 3 (I was his first retail customer who also happened to shred a belt). The Series II Code 3 was a lil less aggressive in the machining. Mine eventually "wore in" and was not a problem, even though Brandon offered to replace it with a new one, I declined as I liked the aggressive machining to help the belt "grip" to the SC pulley. I do NOT run a PSK and with nearly three years with the Code 3 haven't had a single pulley/bearing failure.

OH, and you're not allowed to post anymore since former C32 guys are considered trolls Try putting a pulley on that 535i

Last edited by Newzchspy; 03-09-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by JUAN CASAUS
I currently run a Code3 and a friend of mine runs a 185 and we're almost dead even in the 1/4 every time
+1, ^^^ although I do believe the 185 gives a lil MORE than the Code 3, to ME its not worth the downsides...............again, this is just ME!!
Old 03-09-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
+1 on the overdrive...reliability for other components was my main reason in going with the CODE3. Besides why do they even do a crank pulley? With every other supercharging system its the smaller pulley that increases boost. It's almost stupid to overdrive everything else...although I did get a larger idler pulley to reduce to potential for belt slippage.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by JUAN CASAUS
+1 on the overdrive...reliability for other components was my main reason in going with the CODE3. Besides why do they even do a crank pulley? With every other supercharging system its the smaller pulley that increases boost. It's almost stupid to overdrive everything else...although I did get a larger idler pulley to reduce to potential for belt slippage.
Brandon at Code 3 was really a trailblazer for the C32 on this, like him or not??

The reason why the SC pulley is NOT even smaller is slippage. You still need "X" surface area in the belt wrap to prevent slippage when the SC engages.

Crank pulleys have been very effective for years on the E55 and the C32, so it is an established way to make boost!!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Good info in this thread.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
OH, and you're not allowed to post anymore since former C32 guys are considered trolls Try putting a pulley on that 535i
LOL Touche'! Try putting a turbo (or two) on that AMG.
I started out with the C3P pulley and had the matched tune and other goodies. To me, the difference was huge in all areas of the power band when I went to the 185, and it felt like it pulled much hard down low (more TQ). Based on what I remember anyway.
The thought process must have changed drastically around here in the past few months. I remember when the C3P pulley was almost laughed at as a waste of $$ that should be applied towards the 185. Perhaps the economy and penny pinchers (not a bad thing) are looking at things in a different light....and as these cars depreciate, a new audience comes to the table.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2002 C32 AMG, 2013 GLK 350/4, 2015 E63S AMG Wagon
Look at DragTimes..................the best run was with a 185 and spray. I think Lenin at # 3 is on a 185. When I say a lil better, when we all have raced at various times at Morocco (US 41) in our 5 C32s, no one was more than a car length ahead of the other and this included Jakes car and Jerry's car.(both had spray at a 50 shot ZEX) C32USED has yet to break into the 12s and he's running a 185 and Jerry Tune?? There's so many variables that go into this , including tires, skinnies, track prep, DAs, Quaife etc that its really not fair to do a dyno comparison. I say that the ETs, QTR speed and top speed are the real telling indicators of the 185 versus the C3. I love the power of the 185 and ran one for a while. I just didn't like it "over-driving" everything attached to the serpentine. I sold mine when I got the C3. Not a comment, just MY choice. I don't think there's a single 185 guy out there who hasn't thrown a CEL. I never have as a result of the Code 3.

As far as cost benefit, I only paid $400 for an original Code 3 (I was his first retail customer who also happened to shred a belt). The Series II Code 3 was a lil less aggressive in the machining. Mine eventually "wore in" and was not a problem, even though Brandon offered to replace it with a new one, I declined as I liked the aggressive machining to help the belt "grip" to the SC pulley. I do NOT run a PSK and with nearly three years with the Code 3 haven't had a single pulley/bearing failure.

I actually run a 181mm pulley. 19.5 PSI max when I ran 12.4 in November. I'm working on some crazy exhaust setup now. Will see if that will move me past Jake on dragtimes.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by Lenin
I actually run a 181mm pulley. 19.5 PSI max when I ran 12.4 in November. I'm working on some crazy exhaust setup now. Will see if that will move me past Jake on dragtimes.

lol, I know what you're working on. Saw the whip a few days ago at Harry's. I don't want to spill the beans, but it's looking great!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

PLAID
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
LOL Touche'! Try putting a turbo (or two) on that AMG.
I started out with the C3P pulley and had the matched tune and other goodies. To me, the difference was huge in all areas of the power band when I went to the 185, and it felt like it pulled much hard down low (more TQ). Based on what I remember anyway.
The thought process must have changed drastically around here in the past few months. I remember when the C3P pulley was almost laughed at as a waste of $$ that should be applied towards the 185. Perhaps the economy and penny pinchers (not a bad thing) are looking at things in a different light....and as these cars depreciate, a new audience comes to the table.
You and I go way back and are on the same team, so no problems there!!

However, I did like my 185 BUT did NOT feel that it pulled that much harder with the 185 than the Code 3. Again, when 3 tenths separate the fastest and my car, you're really getting almost academic here. Even Lenin, who chimed in, has a 181 and he's runing faster than all BUT # 1 and 2. Maybe he'll be # 1 soon?? who knows, BUT the difference to me for a DD is almost inconsequential anyway. I like the reliability of the Code 3. Many guy on the SRT-6 run the Code 3 and also love it as I do. To each his own, thats why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors. You like chocolate and I like Vanilla

The ONLY reason I did NOT stick with my 185 is that I do NOT want to overdrive my whole accessory line because of a pulley. Quite simply, the Code 3 does not do that!!! Remember, you're talking everything that runs off that serpentine being overdriven, including the ubiquitous idler that can and has trashed other components. Jerry of Jerry Tuned (EC) even offered to custom make me a pulley and I declined (a 180) because of my concerns. It was a personal choice. My car is NO hero for sure, BUT its reliable, quick enough and the belts, pulleys and bearings have yet to be replaced.

Think about it as well, you're running a 185 or even a 181 (or did anyway) simply to increase the speed of the electromagnetic clutch/SC for more boost. Plain and simple right. Not so fast. Well , what about the ac compressor, power steering pump, guide pulley (2), generator/alternator and tensioner. All of these are running a LOT faster off the serpentine with the crank pulley. I think Needswings even did the math on this and its a LOT!(thus the creation of the PSK) ! Not so with the Code 3.....

FYI, years back I had a Buick Regal with the SC and it was decently quick. Anyway, all of us who modded them used a smaller SC pulley, Not a single guy used a crank pulley and we got great gains on that car with a simple reduction in diameter of the SC pulley. The problem with the SC pulley is always the wrap, not overdriving the accessories.

Last edited by Newzchspy; 03-09-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Yeah, there's a big difference in philosophies over on the SRT6 Forum regarding 185's and Code3's, the main premise being that 185's raise IAT's so much more that the extra boost is negated when running the 1/4 mile.

Personally, I love the extra feel of power that the 185 has whether its for short bursts on the street plus the extra torque it gives. And with the NW Pulley saver kit, nothing is overdriven.

Like it was mentioned previously, its a lot of personal preference and a matter of choices. Code3 is the best price per HP plus simplest design. Also only takes about 15 minutes to swap it out. I had the code3 pulley before and I wanted more power, so I switched and haven't been happier with my current setup. But like Newzchspy said, that's what I prefer...