C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

no more supercharger..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML
no more supercharger..

Alright, when i picked up the car last year, it was a rocket and ran very well. Well, the car has pretty much sat since then, and i've maybe put 300 miles on it or so since i bought it. Those miles have been put on it only within the past few months. I've noticed a loss of power, and it bogs down very easy. Its like the car just doesn't want to go. The supercharger has always kicked on though. I've also noticed the IC pump does not seem to be running. I never hear it anymore. I did hear it when i got it though. It has a Johnson CM30 on it that is probably 2 years old by now.

Well today i was driving it around a little, and after 15 min or so the supercharger turned off and never came back on.

I checked the fuse in the rear and it's fine.

Now for the questions:

Does this sound like IC pump failure? I find it odd that a johnson CM30 would not last very long.

What relay is it in the front? I read a diagram real quick, but i wasn't sure if i was reading it correctly. M44?

I've read of a low coolant sensor effecting the IC pump as well. I did have low coolant pop up on the dash last week, and the coolant wasn't very low at all. I topped it off, but has since gone back down slightly. I have checked and see no leaks anywhere, even from the back where the intercooler can leak.

After driving it for those 15 min and parked it, i checked the IC pump and it felt cold to the touch. Not sure if thats normal.

I feel positive its either the wiring or the pump itself. It also seems more common that these pumps keep giving out. Maybe these pumps aren't as good as everyone has made them out to be
Old 03-20-2011, 01:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
Those Johnson pumps seem indestructible, but I wouldn't put it past one of them to die after only two years. That sounds a lot like it's either dead or dying...

How many actual miles are on it? Have you done a lot of short-trip driving with it?
Old 03-20-2011, 01:16 AM

2001 C32 AMG
Yeah I doubt it's the pump, normally if anything they are intermittent and will come back on after some time.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:49 AM

ML
I'm not sure what style of driving was done before i got the car. Basically once i got the car it sat. Battery died. Was at the dealer, when i got it back.. my lack of power started. Since i've gotten it back from the dealer, i haven't heard my pump on. BUT, i would also think if it wasn't turning on or being audible, the supercharger would have been disengaging more often instead of just now doing it.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:42 AM

Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
Originally Posted by DrewZ9266
Alright, when i picked up the car last year, it was a rocket and ran very well. Well, the car has pretty much sat since then, and i've maybe put 300 miles on it or so since i bought it. Those miles have been put on it only within the past few months. I've noticed a loss of power, and it bogs down very easy. Its like the car just doesn't want to go. The supercharger has always kicked on though. I've also noticed the IC pump does not seem to be running. I never hear it anymore. I did hear it when i got it though. It has a Johnson CM30 on it that is probably 2 years old by now.

Well today i was driving it around a little, and after 15 min or so the supercharger turned off and never came back on.

I checked the fuse in the rear and it's fine.

Now for the questions:

Does this sound like IC pump failure? I find it odd that a johnson CM30 would not last very long.

What relay is it in the front? I read a diagram real quick, but i wasn't sure if i was reading it correctly. M44?

I've read of a low coolant sensor effecting the IC pump as well. I did have low coolant pop up on the dash last week, and the coolant wasn't very low at all. I topped it off, but has since gone back down slightly. I have checked and see no leaks anywhere, even from the back where the intercooler can leak.

After driving it for those 15 min and parked it, i checked the IC pump and it felt cold to the touch. Not sure if thats normal.

I feel positive its either the wiring or the pump itself. It also seems more common that these pumps keep giving out. Maybe these pumps aren't as good as everyone has made them out to be
Wow. I have a similar problem as you. When I turn off my car, the CM30 pump is really loud and I feel like it is dying. It is only 2 something years old as well. I have major hesitation and even when I floor it and the supercharger is just not as strong as it used to be. I am now changing the sc oil and maybe getting a new ic pump, but I dont know if I should get the CM30 johnson again or the stock bosch pump. I hope everything turns out ok and keep us updated if infact your cm30 is dead because I am curious as I thought that these pumps are indestructible as well.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'02 C32, '10 135i M-Sport, '10 E63, '17 GLE63S
Originally Posted by DrewZ9266
I'm not sure what style of driving was done before i got the car. Basically once i got the car it sat. Battery died. Was at the dealer, when i got it back.. my lack of power started. Since i've gotten it back from the dealer, i haven't heard my pump on. BUT, i would also think if it wasn't turning on or being audible, the supercharger would have been disengaging more often instead of just now doing it.
My pump died shortly after I got my car; my car sat for a few months too. Could be a coincidence, but... do a little slicing with Occam's Razor =)

In the DIY thread about SC pumps, I think there's a way to test the pump. Given, it'd be a pain in the *** (get two buckets of water, jack up the car, take off the wheel), but it might be worth it for the piece of mind.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:43 AM

C32
similar problem with my c32, instead of going with the CM 30 I went with a Meriziere high flow good for 3000 hours they advertize

http://www.jegs.com/i/Meziere/680/WP136S/10002/-1