C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Strange Underbody Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Strange Underbody Noise

I have a 2005 C55 with about 56,500 miles, yesterday while on a long drive home there was a strange noise that seemed to becoming from the passenger side rear of my car. It sounded as if I ran over some debris in the road and it was being kicked up and hitting the bottom of the car or something was flapping up against the underside, but the road was clear and there wasn't anything stuck under the car. I thought it might be my tire shredding itself apart and hitting the wheel well or chunks of rubber being thrown off, so I pulled over and checked the tires, but they were also fine as is their air pressure. The noise is not constant, it would happen occasionally, usually when just coasting down from freeways speeds. I would be going along fine, take my foot off the accelerator, the car would begin to slow down, and all of a sudden sometimes it would sound like rocks were being kicked up and hitting the underside of my car. The car also feels like it is pulling to the right a little, but it may just be that I am paranoid and imagining things now. The car appears to be level, not tilted to one side or the other or forward and back as if the suspension is broken, and I can't see or feel anything loose that might be flapping around or coming in contact with the wheel. Any ideas what the sound could be. It is really uncomfortable to drive when your car just randomly starts sounding like it is tearing itself apart. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Originally Posted by ozsn
I have a 2005 C55 with about 56,500 miles, yesterday while on a long drive home there was a strange noise that seemed to becoming from the passenger side rear of my car. It sounded as if I ran over some debris in the road and it was being kicked up and hitting the bottom of the car or something was flapping up against the underside, but the road was clear and there wasn't anything stuck under the car. I thought it might be my tire shredding itself apart and hitting the wheel well or chunks of rubber being thrown off, so I pulled over and checked the tires, but they were also fine as is their air pressure. The noise is not constant, it would happen occasionally, usually when just coasting down from freeways speeds. I would be going along fine, take my foot off the accelerator, the car would begin to slow down, and all of a sudden sometimes it would sound like rocks were being kicked up and hitting the underside of my car. The car also feels like it is pulling to the right a little, but it may just be that I am paranoid and imagining things now. The car appears to be level, not tilted to one side or the other or forward and back as if the suspension is broken, and I can't see or feel anything loose that might be flapping around or coming in contact with the wheel. Any ideas what the sound could be. It is really uncomfortable to drive when your car just randomly starts sounding like it is tearing itself apart. Thanks for your help.
Mine pulls to the right as well and I think I had that problem with the sound before, but it stopped.i have no clue.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 AM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
N/A
+1 mine is properly aligned and cambered and it pulls to the right just a bit.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LADA 1600
I've noticed mine pulling to the right or left, but I'm convinced it's due to the wider tires, and it's just tracking the curvature of the road. Changing tire pressure affects this behavior. Low tire pressure, more tracking, higher tire pressure, less. In fact when it does start tracking, it reminds me to put more air into the tires.

There is a large cover under the engine. Have you checked it hasn't come loose and flapping in the wind? Maybe some clip broke off and is trapped and dangling on top of it?

Last edited by masterianvii; 03-22-2011 at 12:46 AM.