C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Help with oversize pistons.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG, 2007 Chev Lumina SS, 2006 ML 320cdi
Help with oversize pistons.

If you have followed my story 'C32 destroyed engines' then you will know I have just blown my second engine to pieces. Exactly the same thing has happened twice on 2 seperate motors - a piston has broken (chunk torn out between all 3 rings) and caused hectic damage on the cylinder sleeve. The damage on my first motor was so bad that I had to source another motor from a wreck as it would cost too much to re-sleeve the original block. Secondhand motors are now impossible to find in South Africa so that leaves me only 2 options : to re-sleeve the cylinder and fit OEM C32 pistons/rings etc (which costs way too much), or to re-sleeve and fit aftermarket oversize pistons and make the engine a 3,5 or 3,7 litre. I have heard of this being done, but I cannot find anyone who can actually give me part numbers or help.
Please help - I am desperate!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:42 AM

Just a weird question. Since I still have my original block, would it be possible to remove 2 undamaged sleeves and corresponding pistons from block 1 and re-insert them into my second destroyed engine block to replace the 2 newly damaged sleeves/pistons? We have an engineering firm here who can replace sleeves so why not use the originals with the originally worn in pistons?
Comments please?
Old 03-31-2011, 03:51 AM

Just a weird question. Since I still have my original block, would it be possible to remove 2 undamaged sleeves and corresponding pistons from block 1 and re-insert them into my second destroyed engine block to replace the 2 newly damaged sleeves/pistons? We have an engineering firm here who can replace sleeves so why not use the originals with the originally worn in pistons?
Comments please?
Old 03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
You can get a 3.7l m112 short block for around $1500-$2000. As for the work, I would think I could handle most of it myself. Essentially you would switch over most of the m112k components on to the 3.7l m112 engine and use the m113 pistons and rods. I think the job could be done for about 5k including the cost of the engine, pistons, and rods. Take in mind, this would be in the U.S.

Here's a quote from a post I did a while back and some links:
Originally Posted by loudandheard
From looking at the price of the M112 3.7L engines, they can be had from $2000 to $4000. Depending on what needs to be done to the engine and probably switching over to m113k pistons and rods for an additional $1000, you could have close to a 530hp C32 for less than what some people have spent modding their cars. While the C63 is a nice car, the C32 would be
a lot cheaper and potentially faster than a C63 with 500hp.

You may have a difficult time reading this website, but take a look at it. I believe this is a C32 estate that has gone with the m112 3.7l block and heads and retained the C32 supercharger and other components. He used a 58mm supercharger pulley and a 182mm crank pulley and he's almost at 1.4bars. He also used pistons and rods from the m113k engine and the c55 exhaust. He's claiming 500hp and it sounds like it could be possible, but you never know. Take in mind it has been translated from Chinese to English, so it may not make a lot of sense.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate

Here's another cool link that has a c32 with a m112 3.7l engine and different supercharger.

http://translate.google.com/translat...ews%2F12%2F325

If I remember correctly, you may need to switch some pins around in the harness to make it work correctly. Apparently the 80mm throttle body opens in the opposite direction and you need to switch certain pins to make it open in the correct direction. Take a look at this link, it should be the info you are looking for: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-04-cl600.html I think that the sc inlet is from the E55, take a look at some pics of the one I bought recently. You will see the part number on the inlet.

Here is the link to the thread that I made: https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...dy-thread.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...next-step.html

Last edited by loudandheard; 03-31-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:21 AM

Thanks for all the help. To be honest I am looking for a much cheaper fix as my C32 has to be sold as it is bleeding me dry financially every month. After 2 blown engines and no car for 2 months each time it has become apparent that this is not going to work out. Having said that, I cannot bring myself to doing a 'patch up' job and passing the problem on to some other poor, unsuspecting buyer. I would like to have it in good running order when I sell it. I have already bought another car yesterday and I am still paying the bank for a broken C32 so money is very tight. I need to work something out with the spares I have (basically an entire C32 motor minus supercharger, injectors and throttle body). I have 2 damaged engine blocks and 9 good pistons - surely I can do something?
Old 03-31-2011, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63
the sleeves come out by heating the block, and then freezing the sleeve to shrink it. You can use compressed gas (such as CO2 or NO2) to greeze the sleeve. A machine shop can do this and they also have special extraction tools for this purpose.

You can also put in larger pistons, although that would probably cost more.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:09 PM

Thanks - thats great news! I will speak to AMG tomorrow and see what they can arrange. Hopefully I don't get nailed for a new set of pistons because they are damned expensive. If I can swop out sleeves and use my existing pistons and only pay for 6 sets of new rings then I will be smiling - obviously labour is going to cost a fortune.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:25 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by mikekuriger
the sleeves come out by heating the block, and then freezing the sleeve to shrink it. You can use compressed gas (such as CO2 or NO2) to greeze the sleeve. A machine shop can do this and they also have special extraction tools for this purpose.

You can also put in larger pistons, although that would probably cost more.
m112 e32 ml? not.