C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

(C55) Auto leveling not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
Today's Update: Tech attempted reset through STAR and noticed a problem with the front sensor. Sensor appears to be malfunctioning so I will need to replace it. Do these need to be calibrated once replaced or are they pretty DIY? I found sensors on eBay from reputable sellers for half the part price my tech quoted.
The last couple months have been $$$$$ with the car due to new mounts, control arms, etc. So I would like to get this done on the cheap. Any other tips appreciated!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Did the tech unbolt the bracket and manipulate the sensor arm and verify no voltage change or voltage out of range?

Also make sensor connection is secure.

I find it odd that sensor just quits working at same time as control arm service.

Beware of parts changers,

Gl.

If you are even huge least bit tech savvy and if plan to keep this car I would invest in a used or knockoff star system. I find it valuable for troubleshooting problems before and after work is performed.
It's also a good tool to verify the alleged work wad performed if you getting drift. Gl
Old 09-26-2013, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the info, I would love to secure a second hand STAR unit!

Basically what I least expected to have happen, did happen last night. After my tech had given me the bad news about being unable to adjust the defective sensor, etc etc. I drove the car last night to find the lights back the way they were before my last visit. Since I bought the car last June, the headlights were always a little on the low side (nowhere near what they were this weekend). They are somehow back to that point w/o any up and down movement upon startup. I don't know what to say either way about it- I know its not exactly as it should be, but I'll take what I can get since the car is safe at night again.

My concern now is that I will lose this setting when I disconnect the battery to change the voltage regulator this weekend. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again for the info and luck
Old 10-08-2013, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Originally Posted by ghiaguy
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just had the upper control arms replaced on the C55 and my headlights are shooting basically straight down now. Is there a level sensor up front that was likely reinstalled incorrectly or something? How did you guys solve this one?
lol. You didn't read the thread, did you?
Old 10-08-2013, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

nah, I read it just fine. got away without a sensor, probably temporary but Ill take what i can get!
missed you pointman
Old 10-08-2013, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.