C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Start problem, changed out CPS. Found Fuel Pump Fuse was bad!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32, G60 Corrado
Start problem, changed out CPS. Found Fuel Pump Fuse was bad!?!

Well, guys. Couple of weeks ago my car died while in traffic. It cranked, but wouldn't turn over. After doing a lot search and reading all the CPS threads. I went about changing the CPS. Even though, I didn't get a code for it and the car did not turn over even when cold. From what I was told, if the CPS is totally fried the car wouldn't even turn over when cold. So, the hard headed fool that I am, I started changing the CPS without checking any other things. It was a total PITA to change it took me over a week to fiddle around with it and finally replaced it last night. Well, I went to start the car. The same problem . I checked the fuses and found that the Fuel Pump fuse was blown. I replaced it and car started. I don't feel too bad as my car has 165,000+ on it and having a new CPS doesn't hurt. So what does a blown Fuel Pump fuse mean? From my search it is a sign that my Fuel Pump is going bad. Is this a correct assumption or is there any other possibilities?
Old 04-28-2011, 12:54 AM

Silver 02 C32 & White 05 CLK500
Originally Posted by SUPR C
Well, guys. Couple of weeks ago my car died while in traffic. It cranked, but wouldn't turn over. After doing a lot search and reading all the CPS threads. I went about changing the CPS. Even though, I didn't get a code for it and the car did not turn over even when cold. From what I was told, if the CPS is totally fried the car wouldn't even turn over when cold. So, the hard headed fool that I am, I started changing the CPS without checking any other things. It was a total PITA to change it took me over a week to fiddle around with it and finally replaced it last night. Well, I went to start the car. The same problem . I checked the fuses and found that the Fuel Pump fuse was blown. I replaced it and car started. I don't feel too bad as my car has 165,000+ on it and having a new CPS doesn't hurt. So what does a blown Fuel Pump fuse mean? From my search it is a sign that my Fuel Pump is going bad. Is this a correct assumption or is there any other possibilities?
I am having some problems starting my car too. It takes a while to start it. I am thinking of putting in a new fuel filter to see if it fixes it. Can you please tell us where the fuel pump fuse is located on the car and where you purchased it from?
Old 04-28-2011, 01:41 AM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
It is in the trunk. Fuse #4. It is a generic 20 fuse. You can get them anywhere.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
I guess if it were my car I would just drive it to see if it happens again. If it did and the fuel in the tank happened to be really low and the fuse only blows when the fuel was low I would just not run it that low again.

If it blows again with anything more than a 1/8th of a tank then I would try a 25A fuse and if the problem is solved then no further action. If the 25A blows then you might be looking at a new pump unless you can find a wire that is intermittently chaffing.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:16 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Thanks a lot, I will try that. I haven't driven it yet. Is changing the pump a DIY thing?