Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
I just drove it this week

Okay guys,

Please, please, please do not take this offensively. Please!!!

I just drive the C32 for the 1st time this weekend. Let me start with the good things:

1) I was scared. This thing is an absolute rocket. The guy on the test drive (this mid 50s sales guy) almost had a heart attack and nearly soiled himself.

2) Handling is awesome, tight as heck, very impressive.

3) Breaking is unbelievable, better than any Benz I have driven so far (stock)

Here is what I am complaining about, and again please keep an open mind. I currently drive the C-coupe (2002). And once you sit inside this C32, its very hard to tell the difference in the two cars (speed and handling not withstanding.)

I know that the differences are subtler than can be seen by the eye. Obviously the performance is not being challenged here. I just didn't feel the extra luxury that everyone talks about when it comes to this car. The seats are still uncomfortable; The interior is while nice, no nicer than my little C, and the outside, while still beautiful does not really make me want to spill 50 Gs on it.

I KNOW, I KNOW that its a performance car. I am trying to make a list of all the things that are different between the much cheaper C240 and the C32 so I can justify paying the extra money (not that I would ever buy a C240 mind you.) Please help me here:

1) Bigger engine
2) Kompressor
3) Wheels
4) couple of AMG symbols and logos here and there.
5) Brakes

Can you give me more, I know the suspension is different too but I need help with that since I don't really know the details.

Thanks guys

BTW, if I don't get this car myself and anyone is interested, I have worked out an absolutely incredible deal with this dealer, which I would be willing to share with
Old 05-19-2003, 02:00 PM

A 2-Seater Roaster & A 4-Door AMG & 2008 S550
V6 Kompressor engine made by hand, engine signed by the technician
AMG suspsension
AMG exhaust
AMG sport's package, body kits and rims
AMG breaks made by Brembo
Heated seats are standard
Steering wheel is thicker, shift knob says "C32"
Premium sound, 10 Bose speakers(not sure)...not standard on C coupes

Yeah, there are strong similiarities among the 2. They got to be, they are both C-class. But comfort wise and luxury, C32 is definitely taking the lead. I don't think C32 and C coupe's interior are so similar to a point where you can't tell the difference. Then you'll have to take a fully loaded coupe and compare it to any C32. People won't evn mess w/ C32 if they know what AMG can do
Old 05-19-2003, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
Man, i've been dreaming of owning a C32 AMG by myself, i've test drive one and it feels so much difference than my normal C class, i can still even "feel" that test drive. BUY IT fo Goodnes sake, hehehe
Old 05-20-2003, 02:20 AM
Almost a Member!

C32
My story / my suggestion...

What you get in the C32 is the right to wear the AMG badge, without shame, and the status/class of driving the MB still. There are a lot of people who buy cars that are less than they really wanted and then spend all sorts of time and money trying to upgrade their cars to be more like the higher end model they really should have bought in the first place. I know...

I was one of them. A few years ago when they frist came out I ran out and got an IS3. Came to realize that it was too low end on the power & tq. Couldn't beat too much more than the civics, integras, mr2's, etc. either. Although it looked cool, in a Japanese way, it just played out too quick. Couldn't justify the SC or Turbo upgrades, so I just dumped it. I probably wanted a GS430 I guess, now that I look back.

So then I got a nice German car, a 540/6sp. But again I always wanted more - the M5! I would NEVER "badge up" (like some of the poseur's I'd run across&over) but I WOULD spend tons of money on Dinan gear trying to make my car handle and go faster, like the car I really wanted. Was even considering the Dinan SC for it (like www.Jimmy540i.com). That 450hp/404tq pushing me to 0-60 in 4.07 & 12.58 1/4 mi really would have been nice. But, I just got tired of that damn car always being in the shop for stupid little things and + the wife wanted something that she could drive around sometimes too (i.e. an automatic).

This time I just bucked up for the entry level AMG from the get go. Since I had to go w/4 door and "auto" for the family factor, it was really the only car of interest to me. I like this car and would rather start with this as my base car than something less when it comes to mods. I'll want to change the suspension to coilovers and install ODPS+IC, but after that... I'm ok with it I think (for now).

Consider this: People who hang out on these boards are aways tweaking with and improving their cars. If you're here (like me)... you probably fit this profile. My opinion would be to BUY THE CAR FOR THE ENGINE. It just costs too much to upgrade that to what you really wanted later on. If you're not in it for the acceleration factor, then step down to a lower model and be happy with that decision too.

Here's an Idea: Go drive the car again. Drive it to decide PURELY if you want the increased power from this sc engine. If you do, spend the extra wad and get the C32. This is what I did. If it's not impressive enough for you (for the $), there are lots of other non-german cars that can give you more horsepower for less these days. Most of which I decided against b/c they just seemed too unrefined, cheaply built or dime a dozen (mee too's).

Anyway, food for thought.
Hope this helps you some bro.

03 C32 - mostly stock still
Old 05-20-2003, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
I think you've got a point here. Its something in our blood. Its this freaking inability to be happy with what we have. This mod thing is not going to go away. It should be pretty obvious with these guys that buy the CL55 and put another 50-60K into it. So I guess my point is, if I am not going to be happy with the C32 when I buy it, and I know that already, maybe I should just learn to live with what I have.

But I need more speed so I am really going to think about it tonight. Another sleepless night. I guess there are worst things to worry about than deciding whether or not to buy a fifty thousand dollar car. Life is good

I looked into the avaiable mods today for that car. Man there are so many. But they are all hella expensive. What are some good bang for the buck items you can add?

T