C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

C32 transmission - nice surprise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63
C32 transmission - nice surprise?

Hi y'all, I know there have been many posts on this C32 transmission jerkiness issue due to the toque converter and how there is really no permanent fix for it. It annoys the hell out of me as well and it's sad to say that my wife's little Yaris does a better job than a highly acclalimed AMG vehicle.

Anyway, I don't have a fix for it either but I thought I'd share something that I tried over the past week. Previously, I've always driven the car 90%+ in D and Standard mode. I occasionally shift down manually to overtake etc but most of the time, I let the auto mode do the work. I just find that the transmission just shifts up far too early (btw, I've done the sneaking reset many times) and as the result, it always feels like someone who's just learning to drive a manual car and chosen a gear too high or riding the clutch. Although I have a sprintbooster installed and it does a very good with minimizing the lag when shifting down but the transmission will always make its way up at the earliest opportunity. This is what I'd imagine most people hate about this C32 transmission.

So, I thought I would change the gears myself, as if I'm driving a manual car. I put it in W mode, so it takes off in 2nd and then just shift up and down as required. After a week or doing this, the jerkiness in 2nd is less noticeable because I'm revving the engine harder and get past that 1500rpm a lot quicker. It might still jerk a little when in traffic and sadly, that's unavoidable. I now also find the car so much more enjoyable to drive and it revs, takes off, overtakes, fishtails just like what I would expect from a high powered car, as I'm always in the right gear. For instance, I turn most corners in 2nd and it so much nicer to be able to just push off hard from a corner, rather than limping around in 3rd then wait for the shift down.

Another added bonus I found was that I'm actually getting 20-30 miles more to a tank! That could be because the gear doesn't shift as often and I'm in the right gear.

I'm curious to know if any of you C32 owners out there have tried and found the same or indeed this is how you meant to drive this car?
Old 05-18-2011, 08:20 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
I may be one of very few but my '04 C32 has never had a transmission jerk, pre or post tune.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 AM

2001 C32 AMG
The latest Eurocharged tune seems to fix the jerk, sort of.

I used to get it quite often, in manual and auto and when over-reving/slowing down at lights etc.

I've had it less than 10 times since the Eurocharged update and it's never been really intense like I've had it before.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:25 PM

2004 C32 AMG - 2009 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by chris.bachman
I may be one of very few but my '04 C32 has never had a transmission jerk, pre or post tune.
mines doesnt jerk at all or atleast ive never noticed it