Steering Wheel Rumble?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:08 PM
pww

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 C55 AMG
Steering Wheel Rumble?

Trying to diagnose the issue.. Just got an alignment because of this, this changed nothing. The rumble is more noticeable at higher speeds, VERY bad at 80+.

I have spacers on, and they are wheel/hub centric, correct seat bolts...

Any ideas?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 C32AMG, 05 ML 500, Ducati 998S
Try checking your wheels. I had the same problem with my C32 with 19" wheels. I ended up finding that the wheels were off balance from hitting too many pot holes here in Los Angeles....got them balanced and my steering wheel does not shake any more, especially at speed. I also have hub centric spacers (5mm). The wheels looked fine to the naked eye, but when put on a dynamic balancer...it was off.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by auxo; 05-27-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:00 AM

C32 AMG
How does a steering wheel rumble? Do you mean shimmy? Prob the same thing, but if your car isn't a daily driver, it could be the flat spots in the tires from sitting a while, happens with Z rated tires.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 PM
pww

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by auxo
Try checking your wheels. I had the same problem with my C32 with 19" wheels. I ended up finding that the wheels were off balance from hitting too many pot holes here in Los Angeles....got them balanced and my steering wheel does not shake any more, especially at speed. I also have hub centric spacers (5mm). The wheels looked fine to the naked eye, but when put on a dynamic balancer...it was off.

Hope this helps.
Thanks

I got them balanced, the major rumble (or shimmy) went away, still a little vibrating at high speeds, but I guess that's normal?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:11 AM

C32 AMG
I would say it sounds normal now, mine does it a little at a certain speed, but again mine doesn't always get driven every single day, so for me I believe it's the tires. If you had them balanced, and a front end alignment, I'd say your good to go. Was it a four wheel alignment, or just the front?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by auxo

Hope this helps.
vibrations at higher speeds usually means this
Old 05-31-2011, 01:11 PM
pww

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Greger-meister
I would say it sounds normal now, mine does it a little at a certain speed, but again mine doesn't always get driven every single day, so for me I believe it's the tires. If you had them balanced, and a front end alignment, I'd say your good to go. Was it a four wheel alignment, or just the front?
Full alignment, but it was done before the tires were balanced, which makes me think I might need to redo the alignment
Old 06-01-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marsaydees
Originally Posted by pww
Full alignment, but it was done before the tires were balanced, which makes me think I might need to redo the alignment
How would adding a few weights to the inside of your tires affect your alignment?

Protip: It doesn't.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:24 PM
pww

'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Dingleberry
How would adding a few weights to the inside of your tires affect your alignment?

Protip: It doesn't.

I was just wondering. Just trying to figure out why the car still has rumbling.