C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

RS32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320 & C32 ******* Child
Originally Posted by c32used
As you can see we don't have limited mindsets here we welcome all cars especially those with our power plants..subscribed with can't wait to see attitude!

LOL

Thanks,

I only hope that in the coming months I live up to expectations, I am also eyeing a C32 here in OZ at the moment, these cars fetch $30K upwards here as they are not that common, it would be nice to have one as a daily driver but my wife is a BMW lover, well as my old Benz boss used to say, "If you are in a BMW, youre half way to owning a Benz"

Cheers

John

P.S. Yes you all have my permission to use that term LOL
Old 06-15-2011, 07:24 AM

Parts Inquiry

Hi Crew, or those following this manic thread..........

Australian Benz dealers charge like wounded bull's, therefore when someone like myself that has a ******* project like mine going rings for some part numbers the care factor is Nil Nudda Nicht !

My one attempt at getting some part numbers applicable to my VIN (Which is a U.S. Import VIN) was met with "TOO HARD"

So what I was hoping if someone over in the States on this forum would like to play God Father to this yet born project is to list a umber of parts, 10 or so, which they could ask a friendly U.S. dealer to confirm against my VIN number on their systems.

If anyone could help it would be VERY appreciated

Cheers

John
Old 06-30-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
a car.
What part #'s do you need?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by chris.bachman
What part #'s do you need?
Hey Chris,

Thanks for putting your hand up, however I was going to update this thread with some news.

In the past 48 hours I have learnt that the entire electronics system and hardware from a C32 sedan CANNOT be retro fitted into my car, that's the bad news.

So after spending the better part of a day curled up in a fetal position sucking my thumb and thinking about my new position I tried to visualise exactly how the entire AMG package could work and came to the conclusion that dumping the auto trans, ECU and TCM and fitting a manual trans could allow me to move forward, what i have to do however is run something like a MoTeC M600 aftermarket management system instead.

The reason for this is simple, after making another call to the UK and speaking to a tech at ATP about getting my ECU decoded so as to eliminate the security features I learnt that this was only part of the puzzle, the C32's ECU and TCM actually use telemetry from an array of other inputs such as the ABS, and other passive systems etc, if one of these telemetry streams is inactive the ECU and TCM read it as being a fault and the entire electronics go into limp mode.

As we all know, Datsun even with all their visionary idea's in the 1970's never equiped my 260Z with such features and retro fitting them all from a Benz would end up costing me the price of a C32 sedan.

If I was to use a manual stick shift like a Getrag 6MT1500with the MoTeC management system basically what I will be dealing with is a lump of metal with pistons injectors etc etc etc that the MoTeC can be set up for.

I put my theory to a buddy of mine, Peter McDonnel who has worked for a number of Australian touring car outfits as chief mechanic and we did some soul searching on the phone and over the net over the past few nights and so far it looks doable.

So now it seems I will end up with not only the first S30 powered by a C32 AMG motor, but also the first C32 manual period "FINGERS CROSSED"

This however means I will need to have a very well engineered bellhousing, and flywheel fabricated but I figure if successful there may be a market for them as they would suit both the M112 and M113 motors.

Cheers

John
Old 06-30-2011, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
sirpent were are you located at? rcompart is a member onhere who has cracked the ecu encryptions and may be able to do the electronics. wont be cheap but he is very good at what he does
Old 06-30-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by 320 dreamer
sirpent were are you located at? rcompart is a member onhere who has cracked the ecu encryptions and may be able to do the electronics. wont be cheap but he is very good at what he does
Sunny Australia LOL

It's all good, I have decided Im not going to take any more chances with the Benz Electronics, and this will now give me the chance to put a Getrag 420G 6 speed behind the motor.

Im lucky as MoTeC are in my home city and I will be speaking to them in the coming days about the M600 unit to run the motor, as far as we can tell having crawled all over the M112 it should be doable even down to the fly by wire accelerator as the Motec provides input for it.

The other good point is that we should be able to map and tune some more hidden potential out of those charged cylinders as a result.

This is a link to the MoTeC unit in question if there are any tech's reading this that want to check it out.

http://www.motec.com.au/m600/m600overview/

Because its a case of this motor being retrofitted as oppossed to transplanted into another Benz, originality as far as accomodating all the modcon's of a modern day Benz are not a concern.

Plus side, it should be fun being able to use the left foot for some cog swapping as oppossed to just resting on the foot rest LOL

Cheers

John
Old 07-24-2011, 04:21 AM

UPDATE

This is going to be a long update...........

AT LAST

It's official, motor should be here at Melbourne Docks on Friday 17th of August !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To celebrate I went out and purchased a diff today for the project along with a box

I decided after much thought surfing and consolation,on installing an M86 LSD diff used in the the Australia XR6 Turbo Falcon and picked up a 20,00K diff, ratio is 3.46:1

So this weekend I spent much time designing a new cradle assy which will support the diff and firm up the rear suspension.

As far as the box, I also secured a T56 6 speed box with chev bellhousing out of an Australian Commodore which ran a Gen3 V8 and got it for about half what everyone else was asking in the market place.

So back to the rear cradle, what I am envisaging is utilising the moustache bar as a suspension mounting and fabricating a new beam from which I will then run a web structure down to the rearward control arm beams more or less creating a single structure carrier structure and ancillary control arm platform.

From the rear control arm mount points forward I will run 2 horizontal beams to the forward facing control arm mount therefore creating a cradle off the original mounting points.

The idea then is to use these beams as the bases for the side dampner mounts for the M86 diff.

At the rear I will use the factory mount that bolts to the diff cover along with the factory dampner and have this bolted to the new rear carrier.

The idea is that this moustache replacement will look similar to a C4 Corvette set up as per attached.

If it works, then I can have the certification engineer go over it and advise what final modifications need to be made, a lot easier than trying to convey ideas and concepts.

The new carrier no longer becomes the main insulator for the differential but rather a carrier for the suspension so will be solid mounted.

Nevertheless it will still carry the diff as it incorporates a rear mounted insulator held in place by a single bolt to the diff cover and dual bolts from the dampner to the mounting point which in this case will be the new carrier design, while the front has a dampner either side, so the entire diff floats so to say within the cradle.

By using the new carrier in this way also, distribution of suspension forces are now spread across a wider area namely the rearward rails rather than the 2 drop brackets from the cross beam between them.

I think it will work nicely as a package especially once I introduce Arizona rear control arms to the mix.

The thumbnail sketch is just that and did a lot of measurements today of the original Z components so as to start a CAD file of the assy.

At this stage an exhaust notch has to be added, also the rear carrier will have to include a centralised "Kick Out" on the upper beam to facilitate the rear diff mounting point.

Some design changes will mean that the lower control arm pivot depressions will be built into the carrier and the cross beam will also have these so as to dispense with singular clamps.

I did stuff up as I drew the front carrier upside down showing 2 separate clamps when in fact the body has the pivot depressions build into them meaning the front beam will be a single unit with a mirror image.

All in all however clearances look very good and it may allow me to incorporate diagonal supports also running from the upper carrier down to the lower front beam, this triangulation should make it a more robust assy, but will see as I get closer with the CAD drawings.

My only thoughts now are about the rear carrier mount points, the old moustache par pivots will work well but I'm also going to see if I can incorporate the remaining redundant hanger bolt points also, this will give me a 6 bolt point assy for the carrier.

Cheers

John
Attached Thumbnails RS32-cradle_opt.jpg   RS32-img00599-20110720-1258_opt-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Sirpent; 07-24-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
srt6
HDDP installed a C32AMG motor mated to a manual 6 speed in his gutted race car. He used a Motec just like you are saying. The thread is on the x-fire forum.

Last edited by tunaglove; 07-24-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by tunaglove
HDDP installed a C32AMG motor mated to a manual 6 speed in his gutted race car. He used a Motec just like you are saying. The thread is on the x-fire forum.
Hey thanks Buddy

I will go looking for it now but in case I cant find it could you post a link here?

Cheers

John
Old 07-25-2011, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
+1, he may be able to do it remotely. I've seen his work and its lovely !!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:31 PM

UPDATE

Yes its been a while between drinks, but after much delay the motor arrived safe and sound here in Australia, I now have all the components needed to move ahead bar one which is a suitable bell housing to mate the T56 to the motor, after much deliberation measuring etc I came to the conclusion that I will have to use portions of each housing so as to fabricate a hybrid.

This will be a bit tricky but from what I have been able to work out, I will have to cut the rear of the T56 housing away then splice it onto the Benz housing and have it welded with re-enforcements inside and out.

This will require a jig with a central shaft to align the 2 sections, I will bolt the sections to plates, one plate will have a central shaft welded to it exact center, the other plate on the other section will be bolted and will have a centrally drilled hole, this way I can align the centers of each and vary the distance between so as to square it all up.

The T56 bell is was to large at the face and part of it already breaches the rear feed tubes, second the Benz uses a partially internal starter and you just wouldn't be able to mod this nor adapt something for the T56 bell, so the only way forward is to use the Benz bell housing.

Whats good here is that the Benz bell tapers inwards to the box interface and the T56 is wider and has bolts holding it to the box running backwards into the bell from the box side.

Because of this cutting the T56 bell rear will create an over sized plate and also allow for comfortable welding and then the addition of re-enforcement gussets.

I realize this sounds very neandatholic in execution but with care and precision this should work as a simple solution to the alignment issues.

The T56 has a 26 spline input shaft, but obviously it's clutch kit is to large for the Benz housing.

So I will need a flywheel made up to suit the Benz ring gear, and luckily a EVO4 clutch is perfect match for the Benz flywheel size and utilizes a 26 spline set up which is the same in dimensions to the T56 shaft.

So that's the plan, good in theory.

I have to get all this done first before I can even contemplate the chassis as I need the motor and box hooked up to get all the alignments and mounts correct.

P.S. I also mentioned some time ago that I was building a revised rear suspension and diff cradle along with a companion chassis design, design work is complete and have committed to CAD, My certifying engineer has given it the thumbs up so as soon as the engine trans mating is out of the way these will be the next steps.

Cheers

John
Attached Thumbnails RS32-1g.jpg   RS32-1h.jpg   RS32-1e.jpg   RS32-rs32-1_opt.jpg   RS32-rs32-2_opt.jpg  

RS32-rs32-jpg_opt.jpg  

Last edited by Sirpent; 10-14-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:48 PM

2 more of the solid CAD carrier and chassis projection
Attached Thumbnails RS32-cradle-2_opt.jpg   RS32-comp-chassis-1_opt.jpg  

Last edited by Sirpent; 10-15-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 porsche 996 turbo
who makes the evo4 clutch? can it be used as a replacement clutch for the 3.2 6 speed trans? is it a higher performance clutch than oem?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
Good to hear this project is still coming along, can't wait to see the end result.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:38 PM

who makes the evo4 clutch? can it be used as a replacement clutch for the 3.2 6 speed trans? is it a higher performance clutch than oem?

Exedy make the EVO clutch I mentioned, but I think you missed the point, yes its diameter suits the Benz but its input splinage matches the 26 splines of the T56 box, I doubt a 320 would have the same diameter input shaft and splines.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by loudandheard
Good to hear this project is still coming along, can't wait to see the end result.
"Brother neither can I"

I really appreciate you all being so accomodating, I know it's no Benz, but it will have the heart and soul of one in the end, and I guess the 6 speed conversion will be of interest to the vast majority, I dont know how many times Ive heard "It cant be done" "It shouldnt be done"

Cheers

John
Old 10-17-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts
Multiple
Dear Mr. Crazy from Australia,

Stop typing up such long posts on the intertube and finish your crazy project already!! It sounds awesome and it's painful to not see any pictures!!!!!!!~
Old 10-17-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by xxaarraa
Dear Mr. Crazy from Australia,

Stop typing up such long posts on the intertube and finish your crazy project already!! It sounds awesome and it's painful to not see any pictures!!!!!!!~
The Devil is in the detail LOL

Hopefully more pics of progress will fill this thread rather than words in the coming weeks.

I will shut my trap now.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:04 AM

Minor UPDATE

Minor Update

OK, finally got around to doing some house keeping around the car and also started evaluating the engine box configuration, I must say that I was a bit worried but was pleasantly surprised once I got stuck into it all.

Have attached some pics below.

Engine : Have decided I am going to have the motor totally dry ice blasted, having inspected all the seals I couldn't find a single leak of any sort, not even tell tell staining of the alloy left even after a decent steam cleaning, so all good in this department, however the alloy is starting to whiten off with what I think may be salt rather than moisture oxidisation, so I partially stripped away the coil packs some of the tensioner pulleys harmonic balance etc so as to give the process better penetration.

I also dropped out each of the "12" plugs, to have a look at the state of the electrodes, all good, no oil deposits, nice and dry, black carbonised in color.

After doing some research I came across this link and then tracked down a guy in metro Melbourne who can come and do it for me, a hell of a lot easier than trying to get into every last nook and cranny mechanically, I will do a vid of the process when its being done for those that may find it of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMctw4_Bem0

Transmission : OK this was the fun part, I stripped off the T56 bellhousing, the Benz bell Housing, The torque converter from the engine, and mounted the motor onto an engine stand.

After the strip down of the 2 trannies, I took the metal gasket which lived between the Benz Box and bell housing and lined it up to the front face of the now bare T56 box (Minus its bell housing) luckily the input shaft main bearing in the box is almost exactly the same as the input shaft hole on the metal Benz gasket, so I think I was able to align the plate to the box within a fraction of a millimeter.

The reason for doing this is because I will be using the Benz housing and needed to see how the outer parameter of the Benz housing would sit in alignment with the T56, good news is that the T56 housing bell mount holes are all outside of the Benz parameter, this means that once I have a plate manufactured which will be welded to the Benz bell, there wont be any issues bolting it up to the T56 and using all the original mount points.

The rear of the Benz housing will have the equivalent of the plates thickness machined off (probably 1/2 inch or 12.5mm) the plate will then replace that section and then the Benz bell will be welded onto this plate which will be in the shape of the T56 face, the depth of the T56 bell is 140mm while the Benz is 145mm so the new hybrid bell will be 140mm as was the original T56 bell housing.

The green dots in one of the pics represent the T56 Bolt points, while the red ones represent the alignment dowles.

So overall a productive day of discovery and good luck.

Cheers

John
Attached Thumbnails RS32-2a.jpg   RS32-2b.jpg   RS32-2c.jpg   RS32-2d.jpg   RS32-2e.jpg  

Old 10-23-2011, 02:20 AM

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
I've been on this forum on and off for a long time and have seen crazy stuff and projects never anyone of this caliber my friend you are my hero when you get get done with this project i might have to fly to australia to see this in person I admire your ambition...... are you sure you are not american ? lol Jp but good luck and you bet your *** i subscribed to you this thread...... you long replies though almost got me into an argument with my wife lol
Old 10-23-2011, 06:12 AM

LMAO

No I was born in Australia, but have a connection with the States, at the risk of causing more angst between you and your good lady that story can wait till you fly over here and I can tell you it over a beer

Thanks for the thumbs up but I'm no Ferris Bueler just an average Joe, nevertheless, your words are inspiring and a big thank you from across the pond.

Cheers

John
Old 10-24-2011, 01:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
'03C32 Obsidian Black, '76Toyota Celica GT TRD, '12R350 4matic Arctic White, '06 ML 350 arctic white
I've subscribed as well......just trollin' the great posts for a while. can't wait for this project to be complete. oh by the way,bdespite the previous option being inferior to the current path you have taken, you gotta admit, there's nothin' like the sound of tripple side draft DCOE webber 45's with the longest velocity stacks you could find!!!. good luck with the build!!!

John
Old 10-25-2011, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by W203Ramos
I've subscribed as well......just trollin' the great posts for a while. can't wait for this project to be complete. oh by the way,bdespite the previous option being inferior to the current path you have taken, you gotta admit, there's nothin' like the sound of tripple side draft DCOE webber 45's with the longest velocity stacks you could find!!!. good luck with the build!!!

John
I'm just feeling the Love, yet I feel like an outsider as in the end it's not a Benz, what can I say other than its overwhelmingly appreciated.

Yup, Triple 45's, although the AMG will have the wood over almost every other option there is one department it wont and that the sound of an L6 with the right exhaust set up with those 45's doing their thing and creating the most beautiful harmonic sound, still even that set up shouldn't be discounted as the power and torque gains that can be achieved for a NA engine are still impressive and a hell of a lot of fun to drive.

Best I do some work and keep the entertainment factor up.

Thanks once again.

Cheers

John

P.S. noticed your number plate, and just to spice things up, My buddy David in Melbourne also with the same S30 as mine is just finishing off fitting an M3 in his, think you could lend me your plates some time in the future when I line him up ?

This is his thread, and youtube footage of the first bench run of the motor, make sure you check out the start walk through then jump to the 6 minute mark for the fun part, VERY impressive work so far.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.p...,6400.165.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olUV0-mRU2c

Last edited by Sirpent; 10-25-2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:54 PM

Manual T56 Conversion Adaptor

OK,

For those of you who ever wondered how they could get a six speed behind their M112's well here is the tough part, the adaptor that will be needed between the 722.6 trans bellhousing and the T56.

Took some doing but the initial CAD file is ready, I will have a test alloy plate cut to check final dimensions but at this stage all looks good.

There are other features to this adaptor that I have hidden as they are my IP, however once the final product is produced and proven I will be making it available upon request.

Cheers

John
Attached Thumbnails RS32-adaptor-jpg.jpg  

Last edited by Sirpent; 10-31-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Sirpent
OK,

For those of you who ever wondered how they could get a six speed behind their M112's well here is the tough part, the adaptor that will be needed between the 722.6 trans bellhousing and the T56.

Took some doing but the initial CAD file is ready, I will have a test alloy plate cut to check final dimensions but at this stage all looks good.

There are other features to this adaptor that I have hidden as they are my IP, however once the final product is produced and proven I will be making it available upon request.

Cheers

John
keep me on the mailing list for that one, i plan on keeping my 32 till the weels fall off resale value is crap i would rather make a golf cart out of it than sell it, that 6 speed might be verry interesting

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RS32