Fuel Pump is bad on the C32!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32, G60 Corrado
Fuel Pump is bad on the C32!!

Well guys,

After 2-3 months of an intermittent start problem that originally thought to be the CPS (I already changed the CPS), my car has been diagnosed with a bad fuel pumps. It keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse. It only happened a couple of times until last week when the car just shot down at 70 mph. I did take it to the stealers and my Independent Mechanic. They both said it is the pumps and the wires going to the pumps are almost fired.

The quote I got is about $3000 to change the pumps. Apparently, on the C32 (and only on the C32, no other C class) they can't just change the pumps or senders individually, they have to change the fuel tank which comes with everything. That involves dropping the whole rear sub-frame. It is apparently a 12-13hr job. I am a DIY guy, but I think this a little too involved to do in my garage.

I did do some research on fuel pump problems for the C32 and couldn't come up with much. There is a DIY but that is for a C240. Wanted to get your opinion before I drop 3K on this repair. I am not too upset as the car has been very reliable and I have been driving it rain or shine for many years. It currently has 167,000 mile on it. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by SUPR C
Well guys,

After 2-3 months of an intermittent start problem that originally thought to be the CPS (I already changed the CPS), my car has been diagnosed with a bad fuel pumps. It keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse. It only happened a couple of times until last week when the car just shot down at 70 mph. I did take it to the stealers and my Independent Mechanic. They both said it is the pumps and the wires going to the pumps are almost fired.

The quote I got is about $3000 to change the pumps. Apparently, on the C32 (and only on the C32, no other C class) they can't just change the pumps or senders individually, they have to change the fuel tank which comes with everything. That involves dropping the whole rear sub-frame. It is apparently a 12-13hr job. I am a DIY guy, but I think this a little too involved to do in my garage.

I did do some research on fuel pump problems for the C32 and couldn't come up with much. There is a DIY but that is for a C240. Wanted to get your opinion before I drop 3K on this repair. I am not too upset as the car has been very reliable and I have been driving it rain or shine for many years. It currently has 167,000 mile on it. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.
That’s bull****. Our pump and level sender are accessed (and swapped) topside.

It’s not a difficult DIY. BTDT
Old 06-16-2011, 12:21 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Thanks Splinter, as always. That is what I thought as well. I mean how much different can it be from other C classes. It just didn't make sense to me. Do you happen to have the part numbers for what I need? Should I just follow the DIY for the C240 online?
Old 06-16-2011, 03:32 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Well after calling around. Apparently, MB doesn't sell the C32 pumps separately anymore. It comes with a the gas tank. Don't know if they recently changed this. I called MB and complained. They are suppose to get back to me. Will post the results. Would you guys recommend that I just buy the pumps from online parts websites? Don't know if they are the correct ones for the C32.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:17 PM

C32, E93 M3
I am in the same boat as you. My car is currently at the dealership after I attempted to repair my fuel issues.
My dealership first said that the fuel sender was bad. They replaced that and there is still no fuel. Then they told me that the fuel pump assembly is bad (I had already replaced the main fuel pump myself) So they went to order the fuel pump and said they had to ship it from Germany. I told them that it is probably the entire fuel tank and they pretty much scoffed at me.
I do remember in between all my research on the subject that there was a bulletin posted in Startek that said that the pump would now come as an entire assembly with the fuel tank.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:21 PM

C32, E93 M3
Well guys,

If the wires going to the pumps are almost fried, then why aren't they replacing the wires? I am wondering if the internal wires that run from the sender to the pump are whats going bad and that's why MB is requiring an entire fuel tank replacement.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:43 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Originally Posted by SYZYGY
If the wires going to the pumps are almost fried, then why aren't they replacing the wires? I am wondering if the internal wires that run from the sender to the pump are whats going bad and that's why MB is requiring an entire fuel tank replacement.
Yeah, I thought about that myself. Apparently, there is a problem/short within the pump. I haven't seen the wires myself. So don't know how bad they are.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 PM

C32, E93 M3
I find it hard to believe. That's what my dealership told me too.

I took apart the assembly. There is a harness of four wires. Two are green and they go to the lever sensor. The other two are split (1 positive 1 negative into 2 positives, 2 negatives) that each go to both the aux pump and the main pump. Thats it.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:48 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
I find it hard to believe. That's what my dealership told me too.

I took apart the assembly. There is a harness of four wires. Two are green and they go to the lever sensor. The other two are split (1 positive 1 negative into 2 positives, 2 negatives) that each go to both the aux pump and the main pump. Thats it.
Maybe I should just get it back and try to work on it myself. I did talk to MB, I'll wait to see what they say.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Splinter, as always. That is what I thought as well. I mean how much different can it be from other C classes. It just didn't make sense to me. Do you happen to have the part numbers for what I need? Should I just follow the DIY for the C240 online?
Anytime, SUPR C. Yes, the R&R procedure is essentially identical.
That fried wiring is certainly a concern. Is it melted or chafed?

Don’t know your specific part number(s) because they’re typically VIN-specific, and have been superseded several times since the original ’02-‘04 production run ended.
Posted in SYCYGY’s pump thread that last year when my rear SAM went south, it also took the pump with it.
Was compelled to concurrently replace the level sender owing to submerged harness incompatibility with the new (Kolbenschmidt Pierburg) pump.
Fit an aftermarket 450 horsepower tank drainer on the GMC for ~$200. No such luck with our MBs.

Let me know if you’d care for more marginal retrofit hardware info to help get things squared away.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

Old 06-17-2011, 01:18 AM

C32, E93 M3
The Star Bulletin that I found which requires fuel tank replacement is P-B-47.20/53

It states:
Fuel level sensors on Model 203 with PZEV fuel tank; replace the fuel tank as teh fuel level float is not available separately.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:46 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
go to rmeuropean dot com...i'm pretty sure they have the pump separately.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:54 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Originally Posted by splinter
Anytime, SUPR C. Yes, the R&R procedure is essentially identical.
That fried wiring is certainly a concern. Is it melted or chafed?

Don’t know your specific part number(s) because they’re typically VIN-specific, and have been superseded several times since the original ’02-‘04 production run ended.
Posted in SYCYGY’s pump thread that last year when my rear SAM went south, it also took the pump with it.
Was compelled to concurrently replace the level sender owing to submerged harness incompatibility with the new (Kolbenschmidt Pierburg) pump.
Fit an aftermarket 450 horsepower tank drainer on the GMC for ~$200. No such luck with our MBs.

Let me know if you’d care for more marginal retrofit hardware info to help get things squared away.
Thanks Splinter, I haven't seen the wires myself. So don't know how they look. I am afraid that the Rear SAM could have caused the whole thing as well. But the told me it is the pump. Don't know how they diagnosed it. I just hope I don't fry a new pump because the rear SAM is the culprit.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:36 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
The Star Bulletin that I found which requires fuel tank replacement is P-B-47.20/53

It states:
Fuel level sensors on Model 203 with PZEV fuel tank; replace the fuel tank as teh fuel level float is not available separately.
Ah, that makes since now. Thanks. I am going back and forth with MB regarding this. Basically, complained since there is big difference in labor for just replacing the pump/sender as oppose to changing the whole tank. I don't think we should be liable for that since they can't get the appropriate parts.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:04 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Originally Posted by FrankW
go to rmeuropean dot com...i'm pretty sure they have the pump separately.
Thanks, that is good site. Yes apparently they don't have them separately, its the pump and sender together for $1100. They do have a sender only for $250.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55
I had the exact same problem as you. I changed the fuel pumps and the rear sam (the pumps burned it up) last year. An indy did it for almost half of that quote. I can probably find the receipt to tell you exactly. They even gave me the bad parts and a fuel tank was not part of that.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:14 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Originally Posted by 02C32guy
I had the exact same problem as you. I changed the fuel pumps and the rear sam (the pumps burned it up) last year. An indy did it for almost half of that quote. I can probably find the receipt to tell you exactly. They even gave me the bad parts and a fuel tank was not part of that.
Thanks, I would appreciate it. I did talk to another dealer that a friend of mine is working at. They are going to do it for half as much as well. I will pick the car up and take it to them on Monday. It was very strange that they quoted me that much labor and included the tank. I have been taking my car there for years and they have been very reasonable and trustworthy. I just hope they didn't do anything to the tank or something, while diagnosing the problem and now need to make up for it. I would do it myself as I do pretty much everything on my cars myself, but currently I am extremely busy at work and just don't have enough time.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
You can always put in a different fuel pump....

I think someone put in a Walbro and someone on the Crossfire forum is currently putting in an SL55 Fuel pump.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:25 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz

I think someone put in a Walbro and someone on the Crossfire forum is currently putting in an SL55 Fuel pump.
SL55 pump that is an idea. I got to do some research to see if it is diffidently compatible.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Check this out:

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-srt6/49884-i-have-181-sl55-fuel-pump-way.html

Maybe even give Needswings a call, I know they sell Walbro kits for SRT-6's, maybe they know if it will work with a C32 as well?

http://needswings.com/Walbro-255lph-In-Line-Fuel-Pump--SRT6-Install-Kit-gsl392srt6.aspx

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:46 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado
Check this out:

http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-srt6/49884-i-have-181-sl55-fuel-pump-way.html

Maybe even give Needswings a call, I know they sell Walbro kits for SRT-6's, maybe they know if it will work with a C32 as well?

http://needswings.com/Walbro-255lph-In-Line-Fuel-Pump--SRT6-Install-Kit-gsl392srt6.aspx

Good luck!
Thanks Gramma_Benz
Old 06-17-2011, 08:04 PM

C32, E93 M3
My dealership just called. The C32 lives again... So apparantly it needed both the sender and fuel pump assemblies.

I can't wait to roast those rear tires to oblivion
Old 06-17-2011, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG

Unfortunately that only works for the slk and the crossfire because they have external pumps, while ours are internal

My dealership just called. The C32 lives again... So apparantly it needed both the sender and fuel pump assemblies.

Good to hear that the problem has been fixed.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:45 PM

02 C32, G60 Corrado

Great!! Do you mind telling us how much it ended up being. As I said I am taking mine in to another dealer on Monday to replace both. Hopefully, they are going to do it for around $1400. Much better than $3000!! I peaked under the seats it seems like a easy DIY, but unfortunately I just don't have the time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump is bad on the C32!!