C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Coilovers and spacers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG, E55 AMG
Coilovers and spacers

So I'm finally considering getting coilovers for my C55. I've done a lot of reading and narrowed it down to KW V2 or Bilstein PSS9.

Question is will I be needing spacers? If yes, how thick? I couldn't seem to find a definite answer on this. I know it's mostly offset dependent and my 19" Bremma's offsets are 32 front and 35 rear.

Also, one reason why I narrowed down my choices to the above two is that they are stainless, so I don't have to worry about rust issues during winter. But will they still suffer from getting stuck up from extreme cold?

Any other info I should know about having coilovers during winter? Not that my C55 will be daily driven in snow. It will probably be garaged 95% of the time. Just for those rare occasions when my wife has to use the SUV.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:05 PM

me NUTS!
Was doing a search on the exact same thing the other day too. I saw some people had to shave part of the perch and some people were able to install fine without modifying anything
Old 10-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
Man, I think we just had this exact discussion like 2 days ago. Search a bit. The answers you seek are there! I promise!
Old 10-27-2011, 02:09 PM

C55 AMG, E55 AMG
Originally Posted by TruTaing
Man, I think we just had this exact discussion like 2 days ago. Search a bit. The answers you seek are there! I promise!
Thanks! Saw the thread you bumped. There you said: "You need around et 27 to clear the perches on any set of coil overs. Your rear offset is fine."

With the Bremmas having 32 ET up front, this would mean that I'll need at least a 5mm spacer right?

Does the C55 also have "special" spacers? And where's the best place to purchase them?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2005 C55
Originally Posted by Chedeng88
So I'm finally considering getting coilovers for my C55. I've done a lot of reading and narrowed it down to KW V2 or Bilstein PSS9.

Question is will I be needing spacers? If yes, how thick? I couldn't seem to find a definite answer on this. I know it's mostly offset dependent and my 19" Bremma's offsets are 32 front and 35 rear.

Also, one reason why I narrowed down my choices to the above two is that they are stainless, so I don't have to worry about rust issues during winter. But will they still suffer from getting stuck up from extreme cold?

Any other info I should know about having coilovers during winter? Not that my C55 will be daily driven in snow. It will probably be garaged 95% of the time. Just for those rare occasions when my wife has to use the SUV.
I'm running KW's with H&R front coilover springs 29367-3/29313-1 since they are 30mm shorter than the KW's.I can tuck the front tire without the need of spacers on the stock AMG wheels.Here is the spring rate of the front KW which are mfg by Eibach
108-142-685 lbs/in and the H&R 29367-3
and 29313-1 are 52 N/mm=297lbs....working/static rates
Old 11-20-2011, 02:55 PM
pww

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
'05 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by Chedeng88
Thanks! Saw the thread you bumped. There you said: "You need around et 27 to clear the perches on any set of coil overs. Your rear offset is fine."

With the Bremmas having 32 ET up front, this would mean that I'll need at least a 5mm spacer right?

Does the C55 also have "special" spacers? And where's the best place to purchase them?

Thanks again for your help.
To avoid ordering the wrong spacers (spacers for these cars can be confusing) head over to H&R's website, find the part number for the set that will fit on the front of our cars, and then order them from any H&R dealer using that part number.